University of Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CashMcCallister

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into a conversation yesterday about the University of Phoenix undergrad prorgram. If you don't know what it is, it's basically a slightly more expensive, much more accelerated BA/BS program. They claim to be fully accredited, and even offer Masters and Doctoral level programs. Anyway, the question arose as to how Med schools might look at something like this. A BA/BS is a degree correct? If you were to get your degree and complete a post-bac for your pre-reqs at a regular university, would a degree from there be considered a negative aspect of your application? On the one hand, it's not a "traditional" institution, on the other, it certainly shows you can handle a heavy course load. I took the stance that it might possibly just be one more reason for them to decline you, but I'm sure this isn't the first time this has come up.

Anyone with any experience on this?

Note - They do offer online courses, but it's not an online degree thing by any means. The majority of courses (if not all) would be taken at the campus.

Members don't see this ad.