University of Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Architect2PT

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone been to or know anything about this program?
I was thinking it might be an interesting setting to study physical therapy, experience another culture and become more fluent in Spanish.
But one thing I thought a little strange was it's a three year program but only a Masters of Physical Therapy degree.
 
I did not apply to this program, but did research it as I thought the same thing. Here is what I found out:

1) You have to be proficient in Spanish PRIOR to entering the program. Even though PR is a U.S. commonwealth, it looks like most or all of the curriculum is in Spanish. In fact, you have to take a GRE version in Spanish to apply to this university. This GRE version is only given out in certain markets(NYC,Miami,NJ) so it's the expense of the GRE+the travel to get there.

2) I think the first year of the 3 years may include some basic overviews and competencies, equivalent to our first 2 years of UG liberal arts curriculum. That accounts for the 3 years.

3) If you are already taking pre-reqs or have taken any courses at U.S. university, they may not count. This could mean additional expense of re-taking course and proving to them that not only can you learn PT curriculum in Spanish, but that you can also master material the way that they teach it.
 
I was actually just looking at that two minutes ago. I can't even get on their website, do you know what the URL is? If your fluent in Spanish and you dont think you can get in anywhere else then I suggest to go for it. 3 years for an MPT is better than not getting into a program. it'll take just 1 year for the t-DPT after that.

I would apply to it, but im not fluent in Spanish. Not saying that PR is lower than any schools or anything, but I was considering applying because my stats arent so great, I just thought maybe they wouldn't have many applicants. I dont know I may be wrong, they may have like 1000 apps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jbizzle: the website is http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/terapiafisica.asp
I think I have a good shot at getting into other programs, so my main motivation to go there would be the culture and language.

bump: thanks! It looks from the curricula that the classes are all typical graduate level PT classes. Although, the very first semester is only 6 credits so that's not even close to full time. And it looks like summers are off, so maybe it all evens out.
http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/InformativeSheets/Terapia Fisica.pdf

Overall, it's very inexpensive (pay the same tuition that you would instate in your home state) which is very appealing. And I heard the cost of living is low also.

I've had a lot of Spanish classes but have never lived anywhere to develope fluency. So I could possibly do marginally well on a standardized test in Spanish although I'm not sure.

I've always regretted not living abroad (although, technically, Puerto Rico is not 'abroad' 🙂) and not becoming fluent in another language. But I'm also leary of b eing setback by spending the same amount of time in school and ending up with an MPT instead of a DPT.
 
jbizzle: the website is http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/terapiafisica.asp
I think I have a good shot at getting into other programs, so my main motivation to go there would be the culture and language.

bump: thanks! It looks from the curricula that the classes are all typical graduate level PT classes. Although, the very first semester is only 6 credits so that's not even close to full time. And it looks like summers are off, so maybe it all evens out.
http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/InformativeSheets/Terapia Fisica.pdf

Overall, it's very inexpensive (pay the same tuition that you would instate in your home state) which is very appealing. And I heard the cost of living is low also.

I've had a lot of Spanish classes but have never lived anywhere to develope fluency. So I could possibly do marginally well on a standardized test in Spanish although I'm not sure.

I've always regretted not living abroad (although, technically, Puerto Rico is not 'abroad' 🙂) and not becoming fluent in another language. But I'm also leary of b eing setback by spending the same amount of time in school and ending up with an MPT instead of a DPT.


Hi Architect2PT! Did you actually apply to the University of Puerto Rico DPT program?
 
Hey guys, I haven't seen this brought up yet, but I thought I'd share if anyone's considering applying.
Do keep in mind that their NPTE pass rate is 35% between 2014 and 2015 found here:
NPTE Pass Rates By State | FSBPT
Just something to keep in mind as it kind of seems like the PT equivalent to the Caribbean Medical Schools.
 
@DrEscribano It is, which is why I wanted to draw attention to it. It's a class of 17 meaning 6 passed. You couuuuuld be the one of the 6, but I think unless you really had to, I'd apply to a school with >90% pass rate.