University of Saskatchewan Applicants for Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's see who else is applying and share whatever information we know.

Now that the TOCS/PP is over, only thing left is to finish final courses and wait...

Between June 15th - June 30th is when we should know.

This is the only school I'm applying and I have no backup plans! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what Sandy told me when I contacted her about the acceptance letters:

"Letters will not be going out until late next week or even possibly June 27th. At that time, we will decide how to deliver the letters."

Good luck to everyone.

So it looks like all the accepted applicants will be emailed on monday. The rest will be either wait listed or rejected and they will be informed by mail.

On the Paws website my application still says "Complete ready for
Review". Is anyone else getting anything different?

So it looks like all the accepted applicants will be emailed on monday. The rest will be either wait listed or rejected and they will be informed by mail.

On the Paws website my application still says "Complete ready for
Review". Is anyone else getting anything different?

You must be a student from University of Saskatchewan that is why you can log in to PAWs. I am an OOP, I do not have any student id. Doesnt matter now. Just two more days of waiting and we will know what is in store for us :laugh:.

No response today so I'm pretty much out of the game for this year.

No response today so I'm pretty much out of the game for this year.

Same here, no response. I think I am either rejected or wait-listed. I am an OOP so I have a very small chance of getting in anyways. Anybody knows how many people they accept from waiting list and if they give preference to Saskatchewan students ?

I'm pretty sure the OOP students have their own separate waiting list, so you don't have to worry about the Saskatchewan students. Also, I think last year there were 25 people on the waiting list for OOP if that helps anyone.

I'm pretty sure the OOP students have their own separate waiting list, so you don't have to worry about the Saskatchewan students. Also, I think last year there were 25 people on the waiting list for OOP if that helps anyone.
25 people on the waiting list !!! That seems alot. I hope to be the first few in the waiting list Thanks for the info.:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure as long as you meet the minimum qualifications (ie admission gpa and TCS/PP scores), you get put on the waiting list.

Hey guys, I didn't receive an email either :( But I read that last year 10 students were accepted from both waiting lists, so there's still a chance. Hopefully the same thing happens this year too! But I guess we'll find out in a few days by mail. Good luck to everyone!! :)

I've given hope but maybe one of you guys will get lucky, here's what Sandy said

"We offer the first 90 qualified applicants admission. We give them until July 8, 2011 to make a decision. We notify the next 20 qualified applicants that they are placed on a waiting list. Once we hear back from the first round of offers, we then proceed to offer positions to the people on the waiting list. "

So, if you do make it on the waiting list, it won't be until sometime after July 8th that you might hear back from the school.

Unfortunately, I've read in a thread on here from another cycle (think it was from last year) that the waiting list did not move at all.

Still nothing in the mail either. I guess I probably shouldn't expect the letter to arrive until next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
My online status still says "complete ready for review." Does that indicate that I am on the waiting list? I also had another thought: could it be that it says decision made for people who may have not met the minimum admission requirements?

I just checked this morning and my status now says decision made. does this definitively mean I've been rejected?

My status changed to "Decision Made" last night too. Being rejected or waitlisted are both final decisions though and both equally plausible.

Is there anyone out there who's application still says "complete ready for review"? I don't think there is.

Last edited:
I got the rejection letter today.

Extremely uninformative. It told me that I met all the minimum requirements and that I was rejected. Then it just gave me a bunch of links to their website which I had all seen before.

I certainly will not be relying on just UofS for the next application cycle. This Test of Critical Skills/Personal Profile is too arbitrary.

This school is such a joke. Just got my rejection letter. Said I'm missing prereqs that I'm not and that my prereq average is below 70 percent. Yah.. too bad I've never got below 70 percent in any prereq let alone am averaging that.

I don't even care though since I'm already into another school. I'm just irritated at how they did that.

Just got my rejection letter too. It says I met all the necessary criteria for admission but they just had too many applicants. For OOP there were 125 qualified applicants, but only room for 14. It has become damn near impossible to get into pharmacy school in Canada though. Too many applicants, not enough positions :(

Just got my rejection letter too. It says I met all the necessary criteria for admission but they just had too many applicants. For OOP there were 125 qualified applicants, but only room for 14. It has become damn near impossible to get into pharmacy school in Canada though. Too many applicants, not enough positions :(

Same for me, although I was in province, I was qualified but so were ~220 other applicants.

It's unfortuante that a single 300-500 word essay that is practically impossible to study for should be worth 30% of the final admission score.

It means that a student with a 75 can get in over a student with a 90 just by their performance on ONE ESSAY.

UofS is the only pharmacy school I've seen in all of North America that puts so much emphasis on writing skills.

Furthermore, why won't they release the results of the test? I think it's because they know how arbitrary the whole thing really is.

Same for me, although I was in province, I was qualified but so were ~220 other applicants.

It's unfortuante that a single 300-500 word essay that is practically impossible to study for should be worth 30% of the final admission score.

It means that a student with a 75 can get in over a student with a 90 just by their performance on ONE ESSAY.

UofS is the only pharmacy school I've seen in all of North America that puts so much emphasis on writing skills.

Furthermore, why won't they release the results of the test? I think it's because they know how arbitrary the whole thing really is.

They are out of whack. Said my average is under 70 when it's absolutely not. I don't understand how you mess that up.

For a school that doesn't look at pcat or interview, their little test/essay process is a complete joke.

I can't defend the school's competency as a whole because I haven't been through the U of S process, but to play devil's advocate to the bolded points above:

• Pharmacy/professional schools do want to test you on things that are 'impossible to study for'; in many ways, it reflects the true, unfiltered person that you are and will be if/when you enter this field in ways that a high GPA and other well-prepared statements of intent cannot.

• Re: emphasis on writing skill -- it's possible/likely that they're looking at your essay for aspects far and beyond that of writing proficiency, but rather intent, ethics, honesty, line of thinking, etc. Also, one can make the opposite argument that other schools, which weigh their interviews heavily, place a far too large emphasis on the spoken word and that the best orators are in effect, chosen. My guess is that in both situations, the admissions boards are looking at more than just the words, be they written or voiced out.

I can't defend the school's competency as a whole because I haven't been through the U of S process, but to play devil's advocate to the bolded points above:

• Pharmacy/professional schools do want to test you on things that are 'impossible to study for'; in many ways, it reflects the true, unfiltered person that you are and will be if/when you enter this field in ways that a high GPA and other well-prepared statements of intent cannot.

• Re: emphasis on writing skill -- it's possible/likely that they're looking at your essay for aspects far and beyond that of writing proficiency, but rather intent, ethics, honesty, line of thinking, etc. Also, one can make the opposite argument that other schools, which weigh their interviews heavily, place a far too large emphasis on the spoken word and that the best orators are in effect, chosen. My guess is that in both situations, the admissions boards are looking at more than just the words, be they written or voiced out.

The test wasn't a suprise. They tell you everything about it except what the topic will be.

You're right that the test is designed to evaluate a lot more than just writing skills. However, writing skills still play a significant part of the test.

ie Whatever arguments you come up with for your essay, chances are that a couple of other people have thought of them too. At that point, it's no longer about critical thinking, it's about who can say it better.

I just don't understand how writing a persuasive essay has become such an important priority and since no other school does anything like this (as far as I know), it really makes UofS look odd.

The test wasn't a suprise. They tell you everything about it except what the topic will be.

You're right that the test is designed to evaluate a lot more than just writing skills. However, writing skills still play a significant part of the test.

ie Whatever arguments you come up with for your essay, chances are that a couple of other people have thought of them too. At that point, it's no longer about critical thinking, it's about who can say it better.

I just don't understand how writing a persuasive essay has become such an important priority and since no other school does anything like this (as far as I know), it really makes UofS look odd.

Well, if only a couple other people listed the same viable arguments as you, I'd say your essay/you are in pretty good shape!

FWIW, UBC does require two personal essays in its application.

This school is such a joke. Just got my rejection letter. Said I'm missing prereqs that I'm not and that my prereq average is below 70 percent. Yah.. too bad I've never got below 70 percent in any prereq let alone am averaging that.

I don't even care though since I'm already into another school. I'm just irritated at how they did that.

I just graduated from McGill and had a breakdown for how my grades were converted. McGill uses a 4.0 system (no A+). Not sure about yours.. but my A's became a 93% and my A-'s were 82%s... anything lower you can imagine how the percentages go. That's already a 11% gap!

I just graduated from McGill and had a breakdown for how my grades were converted. McGill uses a 4.0 system (no A+). Not sure about yours.. but my A's became a 93% and my A-'s were 82%s... anything lower you can imagine how the percentages go. That's already a 11% gap!

my friend is looking for roommates as she is moving from Montreal. where can she look for classmates or students from UofS? is there a facebook group for the class of 2016?

my friend is looking for roommates as she is moving from Montreal. where can she look for classmates or students from UofS? is there a facebook group for the class of 2016?

Oh :) can't wait to meet your friend. I haven't heard of a FB group for the class of 2016. I'm not very informed about anything tbh. As a hint though, avoid living on West side/downtown Saskatoon; it may be cheaper, but lifestyle there/most people living in those neighborhoods can be quite complicated. East side Saskatoon is definitely much safer :)

The name of this school is pretty epic. Beats my school :thumbup:

Oh :) can't wait to meet your friend. I haven't heard of a FB group for the class of 2016. I'm not very informed about anything tbh. As a hint though, avoid living on West side/downtown Saskatoon; it may be cheaper, but lifestyle there/most people living in those neighborhoods can be quite complicated. East side Saskatoon is definitely much safer :)

thanks for the info, i'll pass along the message to her =)

thanks for the info, i'll pass along the message to her =)

You should just send her on this forum :) it's too bad this thread isn't more active. No idea who the future classmates will be. Which uni did your friend go to? If she needs help in this foreign city, I can try helping out. Though, I haven't been home in a while so who knows what's changed! Hope she's ready to be slightly bored lol. There really isn't much to do compared to the vastness of Montreal

You should just send her on this forum :) it's too bad this thread isn't more active. No idea who the future classmates will be. Which uni did your friend go to? If she needs help in this foreign city, I can try helping out. Though, I haven't been home in a while so who knows what's changed! Hope she's ready to be slightly bored lol. There really isn't much to do compared to the vastness of Montreal

You know what, I'll suggest that to her. She's pretty anxious about the move because it is quite far away. She has yet to step foot in Saskatoon yet, but she knows what's she's getting herself into in terms of the more "humble" life let's call it lol. She was a graduate from McGill University just like myself, but I'm heading to the University of Toronto instead :). Really though, I think someone should take the initiative to start a U of S facebook group. There would definitely be people willing to join!