University of Southern Cal IM program any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at USC scheduled during January. Can anyone tell me about the program? How is it viewed by the medical community in Southern California?

I used to live in Southern Cal and would like to get back there, however, I also would like to go to a decent program where I could eventually go on to a Cardiology fellowship (possibly in Southern Cal, although I would, again, like to go to a good program). I am also interviewing at UVa, which has an impressive program.

If anyone has interviewed there or knows residents there, PLEASE respond!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

USC is a good program but there are better programs out there that can place you into a competitve fellowship like cards. UVa happens to be one of them. However in LA, USC is the only other "academic" program beside UCLA. I think that it is worth a look, and you can decide for yourself if the program fits your needs.

I was wondering about this as well..we all heard about the pain of working in that old USC hospital. But throw that out and just looking at its academic reputation and fellowship potential. How does it stack up against other California programs? I would imagine that it's academic reputation/fellowship potential have to be better than programs like UC Irvine or Loma Linda! everybody please chime in! PM if you want. - Dave

bof said:
USC is a good program but there are better programs out there that can place you into a competitve fellowship like cards. UVa happens to be one of them. However in LA, USC is the only other "academic" program beside UCLA. I think that it is worth a look, and you can decide for yourself if the program fits your needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
somdave2005 said:
I was wondering about this as well..we all heard about the pain of working in that old USC hospital. But throw that out and just looking at its academic reputation and fellowship potential. How does it stack up against other California programs? I would imagine that it's academic reputation/fellowship potential have to be better than programs like UC Irvine or Loma Linda! everybody please chime in! PM if you want. - Dave

It is actually not considered a very reputable IM program by both the private and academic community. I wouldn't place it anywhere near ucla or ucsd, and most certainly uci is better.

I am not going into IM, but I'd like to add a perspective on UCI. I have rotated through medicine service as a med student, and I have to say you can safely put UCI at the very bottom in terms of the quality of residency as well as fellowship placement. They do not seem to get the best and brightest by any means, and, unless something has happened in the last 2 years, the fellowship placement is mediocre at best. They do have 2 GI spots (I think), but if you don't match there, you have a very small chance elsewhere in SoCal. I do know 2 ex-residents who managed to get into cards 2 years ago, but the strength of their residency was not the highlight of their apps (if you know what I mean ;) . On the other hand, USC by an overall concensus is a "fellow's place". Not just in IM, but in most other specialities as well. If you are there you will undobtfully make contacts with the right people and will have a good chance to be successful in the fellowship game if you play your cards right. Remember, most fellowship placement does not go through match. Anyway, my point here, I'd choose USC over UCI for IM any day.

Having rotated through Cedars I can also give you my prospective on their IM program. It is not considered a strong academic program, but it is strongly affiliated with UCLA. It also combines the best of all worlds: since it is not highly academic, the environment is not highly malignant. Residents, however, seem to get very good fellowship positions- my friend, a categorical intern there, has told me that last year whoever was applying into GI got a position somewhere (most in SoCal). Also, Cedars is doing well financially. This should be a very strong consideration for people applying to SoCal residency programs. With many billion dollor budget deficit in CA, many public/
county hospitals are on the brink of a financial crisis- I've heard White Memorial is not doing too well (this is unconfirmed), Cal hospital in downtown is struggling, etc,etc. The only other hospital that's doing as well as Cedars is Huntington Memorial in Pasadena (where I am at right now). Doing financially well translates to good ancillary services, which translates to a "better life" as a resident- no pushing pt to the CT scanner, no blood draws, etc. If I was doing categorical IM I'd strongly consider Cedars if I were you guys.

How does Loma-Linda stack up against USC. Which one is better for cards fellowship? I have yet to visit these two and would like to hear from anyone who had gone there already.

i don't that one will be significantly better than the other for cards fellowship. i think that between the two programs it boils down to the individual. that being said, if you have research (pubs), especially during residency, you can do well in cards at usc. same is probably true for loma linda. i think it will come down to finding the right program between the two for you.

hammersmith said:
How does Loma-Linda stack up against USC. Which one is better for cards fellowship? I have yet to visit these two and would like to hear from anyone who had gone there already.

Has anyone done a medicine rotation at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara? I am thinking of doing one as a 4th year elective. Anyone know what its like? What is the housing like? Thanks!

I think Loma Linda has a really strong fellowship placement program. I have had several friends go there for residencies and are very happy with the program. USC is harder to get certain fellowships, especially GI.

I disagree. I interviewed at Loma Linda and was very disappointed by it. One of the Chief Residents said that about 50% of their residents who apply actually get into fellowships the first time around. There's also a lot of DOs and FMGs in the program.

I doubt that loma linda is much better than usc. i would say that they are comparable in terms of reputation. in terms of location USC definately comes out ahead. who wants to live in the inland empire? :)

JHUgirl said:
I think Loma Linda has a really strong fellowship placement program. I have had several friends go there for residencies and are very happy with the program. USC is harder to get certain fellowships, especially GI.