Can anyone here comment on what the job market for hospitalists in Southern California is like right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarcoid_Sorcerer

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m a current PGY-2 resident in internal medicine at a mid-tier academic program in the Midwest. I’m originally from Southern California and my family all lives there, but I went to med school and residency in the Midwest.

For the last 3-4 years I was certain that I’d pursue fellowship training in pulmonary and critical care which I absolutely love, but recently I’ve had a change of heart and think I may instead rather be a hospitalist. Basically I’m tire of putting my life on hold while I do all of this training and I don’t love the idea of still living outside of California while I pursue three more years of fellowship after I graduate IM residency in 2024.

With this in mind, I’ve been exploring the possibility of returning to LA and being a hospitalist. Can someone who is familiar with the job market there speak a little bit about what it’s like right now for hospitalists searching for work in Southern California? How saturated is the market, how are the compensations (by California standards, I know everyone is gonna comment on the high cost of living there, but it’s home to me).

I’m still undecided as to whether I would prefer to be in a community hospital or at an academic center. There are obviously pros and cons for each. I like teaching and think I would enjoy working with trainees, but I also don’t love how academic centers pay smaller salaries and how hospitalists do less in academic centers because there are so many specialty primary services (my institution for instance has a hep service, a heme service and a cards service, so none of these patient get on the general medicine service and are never manage by the hospitalists, but at a community hospital the would be). Then again, my understanding of community hospitalists is that many of them have a tendency to just consult on every little issue that they can totally handle because it generates more money for the hospital, which is also something I’m not thrilled about.

Basically, I have no clue what type of hospitalist I want to be yet, and would appreciate input from others more experienced than myself.

Members don't see this ad.

If location is mandatory then you need to seriously look at how much income you will actually need. Lets say they low ball you for 250k in LA at UCLA. That sounds like a lot but assuming you put away the max in to a pre tax 401k (22k/yr) and all of your benefits are magically free your monthly take home 11785. How much will your rent/utilities/groceries be? Do you have loans? How long will it take for you to get to 2MM to actually be able to retire? If you can do 75 better out in the central valley (think Fresno) your take home goes up to 15000 and your cost of living goes down, that difference is a hidden 'tax' for living in LA that you need to account for.

Reactions: 1 users