University of Tennessee, Knoxville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTKpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some information about the anesthesia program at UTK? I couldn't find hardly any info on their website. Are they DO friendly? What are their average Step 1 and Step 2 scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me some information about the anesthesia program at UTK? I couldn't find hardly any info on their website. Are they DO friendly? What are their average Step 1 and Step 2 scores?

Word on the street is that osteopaths need not apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there. I liked the program. I loved Knoxville. The program seems to prepare people well for private practice. They are also looking to become more academic (the program itself is run like a private contracted group). The people who run the program/work as attendings seem like great people. I ended up choosing to go to Wake Forest for the enhanced academics of the department, but I enjoyed my interview at Knoxville. They definitly seem like they take care of their own.

Even if the DO has awesome COMLEX and usmle scores?

Even if the DO has awesome COMLEX and usmle scores?

Just look at the list of residents in the link posted above: http://gsm.utmck.edu/anesthesiology/residency/residents.cfm. Only two residents even have a "do" in their names, much less any with that in their title.

With that being said, I did my surgery intern year their so worked with most of the anesthesia residents and have kept in touch with some. They all seemed happy and got the fellowships they wanted (Chronic Pain) where they wanted (at least the ones I kept up with).

Then why in osteo school ? I am sure you are, but this is what they will think.

Reactions: 1 user
My MCAT sucked. But my usmle did not. Nor my class rank.

My MCAT sucked. But my usmle did not. Nor my class rank.

Apply at the university of Wisconsin. DO friendly, excellent program in a great city. Also no one could complain about the lifestyle or people.

Reactions: 1 users