University of Tennessee-Memphis MS Pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graduate2be

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone has been admitted or attended the University of Tennessee-Memphis MS in Pharmacology (http://www.utmem.edu/grad/Programs/index.php?page=PharmacologyMS). I spoke with Edward Parks, the program director, about a year ago and they were in the first year of the program. He stated that the program is designed to provide a similar experience to that at Tulane University; however, its about 10K less. He also stated that it was his hope that the program would eventually serve as a gateway for students to enter UT's SoM. Are there any current students or has anyone heard anything about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to know if anyone has been admitted or attended the University of Tennessee-Memphis MS in Pharmacology (http://www.utmem.edu/grad/Programs/index.php?page=PharmacologyMS). I spoke with Edward Parks, the program director, about a year ago and they were in the first year of the program. He stated that the program is designed to provide a similar experience to that at Tulane University; however, its about 10K less. He also stated that it was his hope that the program would eventually serve as a gateway for students to enter UT's SoM. Are there any current students or has anyone heard anything about the program?

Since the program is so new(this is the first year), its hard to gauge this program. Its inaugural class only has about twelve people. We'll have to see what percentage of these guys are accepted into UT SOM or other places.

Has anybody heard anything about this program since it started? My friend just told me about it the other day after she had applied but I wasn't able to really find much information on it from anyone that had applied to gone through it or anything. I'm planning on applying to master's programs this coming fall/winter and wasn't sure if this was one I should look into since I am from Tennessee. Any help with this is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about it as well. Has anymore information come up about it?

I'm going to necro-bump this thread yet again to see if anyone has any experience with this program. I'm interviewing with UT soon, but if things go south for this app cycle then this program looks very promising. Tennessee schools lack a true SMP, but I'd be willing to take a shot with this program just for a chance at that sweet in-state tuition at UT or Quillen.

The new link to the program is here (http://www.uthsc.edu/grad/Programs/index.php?page=PharmacologyMS) and states a 75% success rate for graduates looking to enter med school in TN. Any information (such as program difficulty or if graduates can go straight to med school without a gap year) would be greatly appreciated.

Edit for those who find this thread in the future: Having spoken in person and online with several graduates, my impression of the program is that, while good for getting into UT/ETSU, it may not get you the results you're looking for within a reasonable time frame. For that reason, it may be worth it to attend a true SMP elsewhere in spite of the extra cost. In exchange, you'll likely get the same benefit as the pharmacology program while also gaining linkage to the host school at a true SMP.

Last edited:
I'm going to necro-bump this thread yet again to see if anyone has any experience with this program. I'm interviewing with UT soon, but if things go south for this app cycle then this program looks very promising. Tennessee schools lack a true SMP, but I'd be willing to take a shot with this program just for a chance at that sweet in-state tuition at UT or Quillen.

The new link to the program is here (http://www.uthsc.edu/grad/Programs/index.php?page=PharmacologyMS) and states a 75% success rate for graduates looking to enter med school in TN. Any information (such as program difficulty or if graduates can go straight to med school without a gap year) would be greatly appreciated.

Edit for those who find this thread in the future: Having spoken in person and online with several graduates, my impression of the program is that, while good for getting into UT/ETSU, it may not get you the results you're looking for within a reasonable time frame. For that reason, it may be worth it to attend a true SMP elsewhere in spite of the extra cost. In exchange, you'll likely get the same benefit as the pharmacology program while also gaining linkage to the host school at a true SMP.
Necro bump coming in again.

Thanks for the info. Looking at SMPs now and UT's is the cheapest option. UTHSC has a fantastic medical school (top 100 I believe) with amazing hospitals to rotate in (Memphis and TN in general.) If there is anyone that has done this program, will anyone please fill us (i.e. me) on the program?

Necro bump coming in again.

Thanks for the info. Looking at SMPs now and UT's is the cheapest option. UTHSC has a fantastic medical school (top 100 I believe) with amazing hospitals to rotate in (Memphis and TN in general.) If there is anyone that has done this program, will anyone please fill us (i.e. me) on the program?

A friend of mine did the program in 2013-2014. In summary, when I last talked to him about it in July of 2014, exactly 1 person in the masters class had been admitted to UT. I don't know if there was significant wait list movement after that. My advice remains the same: there are much better options out there, look elsewhere.

It's funny to look back on that comment, because I ended up in an SMP (and now medical school) across the country. That app cycle went sour pretty quickly. The lack of reputable MD SMP (outside of MC, which is only good for MS residents) options in the South is a real shame.

The tuition for this "SMP" seems like a great opportunity for those who live in the Southeast. However, this thread doesn't make me too confident in the actual program itself. I'm looking into SMPs to gain entrance into dental school. As of right now I'm leaning towards Iowa State's. It's the best cost wise and it seems pretty established. I don't want to pay $50K for a one-year masters. I'm looking for something more around $20-30K. Iowa State's is about the same as Tennessee's for OOS residents.

This is the only thread I see on this program so that is why I am posting here. Anyone apply this year? I recently submitted my app and am waiting to hear back.

This is the only thread I see on this program so that is why I am posting here. Anyone apply this year? I recently submitted my app and am waiting to hear back.

I'm about to submit my application now actually! Director of the program was really nice when I spoke with him on the phone and very encouraging, good luck!

I like Dr. Parks, he was very helpful to me as well when I spoke to him on the phone. Do you know when we're supposed to hear back?

I like Dr. Parks, he was very helpful to me as well when I spoke to him on the phone. Do you know when we're supposed to hear back?

ah no clue. I'll post something if I hear!

Edit: Just heard back, from Dr. Parks, and I got in! I would shoot him a quick email to follow-up!

Last edited:
I emailed him Sunday and was told on Monday that he would be making decisions 'next week'. Not sure if he meant this week or next, but I haven't heard back yet..... Kinda getting nervous.... If you don't mind, what were your stats for getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted today! I hope you hear something back soon!

I emailed him Sunday and was told on Monday that he would be making decisions 'next week'. Not sure if he meant this week or next, but I haven't heard back yet..... Kinda getting nervous.... If you don't mind, what were your stats for getting in?
I just got accepted into this program today! I have a 3.57 undergrad GPA in Chemical Engineering and a 4.0 GPA in a few grad classes I have taken. Also, I have a 506 MCAT score.

Best of luck to you! Shoot me a message if you are accepted.

Is there anyone out there that did this program last year? I just got accepted into this program, and I would like to talk to someone who has done it before.

Yikes! I'm getting nervous now .... Haven't heard anything back yet....

I was accepted today!! Super excited to start this fall!

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone has been accepted into the M.S. in Pharmacology 2016-2017 class, shoot me a message and I will add you to our secret Facebook group!

Does anyone know stats in terms of # applicants, # accepted, etc?

Does anyone know stats in terms of # applicants, # accepted, etc?
I'm not sure how many people the program takes in per year, but when I spoke to Mr. Strother (part of the adcom for UTHSC COM,) he said for the entering 2020 class for the medical school, 15 to 17 students admitted were in the program.

Bumping this thread!
I'm applying in the spring after I take my GRE to this program. Any word of advice and med school acceptance rate from the class of 2017?

Bumping this thread!
I'm applying in the spring after I take my GRE to this program. Any word of advice and med school acceptance rate from the class of 2017?

You don't need to take the GRE for this program if you've already taken the MCAT.

I'm currently in the program. Class size starting Fall 2016 was 19. One did not apply and one dropped at the end of fall term. Interviews were in mid-December. We received notice of our interviews less than a week out. 6 of the 17 that applied were immediately accepted to UT (notifications arrived around early January). The rest of the class was placed on hold and then eventually placed around the late 50s-60s on the WL.

Current Class of 2017 Acceptance Rate (based on those who applied): 100%

[Edit on 06.08.17] 9 of the 17 have been accepted to date.

[Edit on 07.03.17] 13 of the 17 have been accepted to date.

[Edit on 07.21.17] 15 of the 17 have been accepted to date.

[Edit on 07.25.17] 16 of the 17 have been accepted to date.

[Edit on 08.06.17] 17 of the 17 have been accepted to date.

*some students have been accepted at other schools as well.

Advice:
- This is the time to develop study habits that will help in medical school.
- Be competitive. The class as a whole is doing very well, but top grades were the deciding factor for those accepted in early January and those still currently on hold.
- Talk with someone who is either in the program, or has been in the program about pros/cons.
- Dr. Park is also a great resource to feel out the program and in general a great person who will tell you like it is

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about the program!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm an instate student who just found out about this program. I'm planning to apply ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
If you plan on applying for this program, please message me!

Last edited:
Who has heard back for Fall 2017?

Who has heard back for Fall 2017?
Not yet. I finished the app beginning of May but one LOR got sent in really late. Not hopeful of getting in, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Not yet. I finished the app beginning of May but one LOR got sent in really late. Not hopeful of getting in, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Kind of in the same situation... I just wish Dr. Parks would say SOMETHING so I wasn't driving myself crazy waiting.

If someone attended it this year, I would love for you to know how it went for you for future pharm students!

Please message me if you would like to know my experience!

Last edited:
If someone attended it this year, I would love for you to know how it went for you for future pharm students!

Hey I am currently applying for this program. I would love to hear your experience with this program.

I would definitely Like to hear of your experience. I have applied to this program and am waiting to hear back!

I would love to hear about how the program went for you.

I just got accepted and will be doing the program this year while applying to med school. Is anyone else also going to be doing this and know more details about any orientation/facebook group/schedule kind of stuff for this year? I have looked online but cant really find much. Feel free to message me or just reply. Also any former students who have any advice or feedback Id love to hear from you too!

I just got accepted and will be doing the program this year while applying to med school. Is anyone else also going to be doing this and know more details about any orientation/facebook group/schedule kind of stuff for this year? I have looked online but cant really find much. Feel free to message me or just reply. Also any former students who have any advice or feedback Id love to hear from you too!
I am going to be doing the same thing you are. Looks like we have orientation on July 25th based on the last email we got.

Reactions: 1 user
I still check this thread occasionally- reach out to me if you would like to hear about my experience in this program.

I still check this thread occasionally- reach out to me if you would like to hear about my experience in this program.

I wasn’t able to PM you so I will post my questions here.

How was your experience overall in this program? How difficult would you say the program was? Was it cut-throat? What percentage of your class was accepted to UTHSC?

I wasn’t able to PM you so I will post my questions here.

How was your experience overall in this program? How difficult would you say the program was? Was it cut-throat? What percentage of your class was accepted to UTHSC?
Here is a discord link to talk with past/current/prospective students in this program. Join the UTHSC- Pharmacology Discord Server!
Hoping to get PDE4_Inhibitor in there soon to answer some questions..

I'm someone currently in the program if either of you want to PM me any questions you have!

Hi, I'm thinking about applying to this program, but I can't seem to find the link for an application on the website. Can anyone link the application or tell me how I would go about applying? Thanks!

Hi. I am thinking about applying to this program. Is there anyone who recently completed the program? Please let me know.