University of texas health science center at houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few questions for current residents or those with info:
How is the intern year at UT-Houston?
How many hours do you work on average per week?
Are there advanced spots?
I interviewed here. The intern year is your typical CBY- mix of medicine, surgery, bloodbank, EM, ICU, last month is the anesthesia boot camp that they call 'Training Mode.'
The quoted number of hours worked per week is 50-55
There are 3-4 advanced spots out of 27-28 if I recall correctly

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed here. The intern year is your typical CBY- mix of medicine, surgery, bloodbank, EM, ICU, last month is the anesthesia boot camp that they call 'Training Mode.'
The quoted number of hours worked per week is 50-55
There are 3-4 advanced spots out of 27-28 if I recall correctly

I can't attest to what the residency is like. But I refuse to believe UT Houston works 55 hours a week. I just don't believe it.

It's not necessarily a knock on the program, you need 60-65 hours a week just to get good at being an anesthesiologist, specially if you're starting out CA-1.

But no way they work 50-55 hours per week. No way.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't attest to what the residency is like. But I refuse to believe UT Houston works 55 hours a week. I just don't believe it.

It's not necessarily a knock on the program, you need 60-65 hours a week just to get good at being an anesthesiologist, specially if you're starting out CA-1.

But no way they work 50-55 hours per week. No way.
I have no first-hand experience with Houston, but to provide a counterpoint Michigan works about 55 hours a week and is largely considered top-notch training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no first-hand experience with Houston, but to provide a counterpoint Michigan works about 55 hours a week and is largely considered top-notch training.

I don't do ad hominem attacks so please don't take this as one. But were u not the poster to whom I had to explain the difference between call frequency and call timing?

I'm not telling u not to question (I do so myself all the time). Perhaps question a little more about the the motives behind those who are saying certain things. Why would I go out of my way to say something about a program that doesn't affect me? Does it benefit for a PD to bend the truth??

There are some very experienced posters here that are really trying to warn others of potential pitfalls without being overtly negative. Please read inbetween the lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't do ad hominem attacks so please don't take this as one. But were u not the poster to whom I had to explain the difference between call frequency and call timing?

I'm not telling u not to question (I do so myself all the time). Perhaps question a little more about the the motives behind those who are saying certain things. Why would I go out of my way to say something about a program that doesn't affect me? Does it benefit for a PD to bend the truth??

There are some very experienced posters here that are really trying to warn others of potential pitfalls without being overtly negative. Please read inbetween the lines.
Hey dchz, I don't recall us ever having that conversation before but I could be mistaken if it has been a while.

I definitely do appreciate the feedback from you and everyone, especially residents who have been in our shoes in the past and remember what it was like. To that degree I place a lot more weight on what current non-chief residents tell me over anyone else like PDs who are obligated to sell a narrative.

The sense and information that I got from them now all points to them being a healthy program with a good work-life balance. It seems that all those reports of malignancy did hold true in the past but not in recent few years under the new PD. NW is another program that had extreme problems in the past but is now lauded by applicants. Was the situation so bad half a decade ago that you do not believe they could have moved on and turned over a new leaf for the program?