University of Texas HSC San Antonio Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fox800

Go to the ER now to see if you have coronavirus.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been really interested in this program since my interview day. It needs to be added to the Residency Reviews Sticky. I'd love to hear what other applicants or current residents think about it.

This is a newer three-year program, first class will graduate in May 2016. Very friendly faculty, most fun group of attendings I met on the trail. During the presentation the residents and faculty were teasing each other and cracking jokes. Residents seemed well-rested and happy at the social and on the interview day. Interview day was low-key and relaxed, nothing confrontational.

Most of the leadership team came from the military EM residency in San Antonio, and you can tell that they put a lot of thought into designing this program. The ED is staffed to run without residents (double and sometimes triple coverage), which I thought was interesting and demonstrates an emphasis on resident education vs. moving the meat. I loved the 8-hour shifts. Residents rotate through five different sites (University Hospital, Methodist Hospital for community EM, Children's Hospital of San Antonio, North Central Baptist for additional community EM, and Valley Baptist in the Rio Grande Valley).

University Hospital is where you spend most of your time. It's in the San Antonio medical district and has a nice new ED. 70,000+ visits/year, level 1 adult trauma/level 2 pedi trauma. 28% admission rate, 14% ICU admission rate. All UT San Antonio med students have EM as a core third-year rotation, so if you're interested in med student education, this is a good place for that. Some high points in the curriculum include an orientation block, an entire block for both anesthesia and ultrasound, a combined OB/rural EM month in the Rio Grande Valley, and no floor months.

PGY1:
Orientation 1.0
EM 6.0
Anesthesia 1.0
Ultrasound 1.0
MICU 1.0
CCU 1.0
Ortho 1.0
Trauma Surgery 1.0

PGY-2:
EM 7.0
Community EM 2.0
Pediatric EM: 1.0
OB-Gyn/Rural EM: 1.0
Neuro ICU: 1.0
SICU: 1.0

PGY-3:
EM: 7.0
Community EM: 1.0
Pediatric EM: 1.0
EM Administration: 1.0
Elective: 1.0
MICU: 1.0
Trauma Surgery: 1.0

The Texas Hill Country is gorgeous, with lots of parks and rivers close-by. Cost of living is reasonable and Texas has no state income tax. San Antonio is a the seventh-largest city in the country but it feels laid-back and is close to Austin if you need a party/live music scene.

Overall, I was very impressed with this program and I think it's definitely on the way up. I plan on ranking it highly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been really interested in this program since my interview day. It needs to be added to the Residency Reviews Sticky. I'd love to hear what other applicants or current residents think about it.

Newer three-year program, first class will graduate in May 2016. Very friendly faculty, most fun group of attendings I met on the trail. During the presentation the residents and faculty were teasing each other and cracking jokes. Residents seemed well-rested, happy, and relaxed at the social and on the interview day. Nice new ED in the medical district of San Antonio. Interview day was relaxed, nothing confrontational.

I loved the 8-hour shifts. The ED is staffed to run without residents (double and sometimes triple coverage), which I thought was interesting and demonstrates an emphasis on resident education vs. moving the meat. No floor months (the website has not been updated to reflect this). The ED was recently re-built and is very nice. Residents rotate through five different sites (University Hospital, Methodist Hospital for community EM, Children's Hospital of San Antonio, North Central Baptist for additional community EM, and Valley Baptist in the Rio Grande Valley with housing provided). All UT San Antonio MS3 med students have EM as a core rotation, so if you're interested in med student education, this is a good place for that.

The Texas Hill Country is gorgeous, with lots of parks and rivers close-by. Cost of living is reasonable and Texas has no state income tax. San Antonio is a the seventh-largest city in the country but it feels laid-back and is close to Austin if you need a party/live music scene and Houston as well.

Do you rememeber how many shifts per month they do?

I have connections to UTHSCSA. The residents actually like each other and care about each other. The attendings are youngish, cool, diverse, and excited. The patients are sick and underserved but there doesn't seem like a lot of county bs like I saw on my aways.

Overall I think this is an great program and will soon been recognized as such.

Last edited: