University of the Sciences merging with St. Joseph's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of the Sciences (aka Philadelphia College of Pharmacy) is merging with another institution.

No, not the decades-old, long-rumored merger with Penn...
It's merging with St. Joseph's. No, not the pharmacy program in Connecticut...it is merging with the St. Joseph's University 5 miles away on the Main Line.

St. Joe’s and University of the Sciences have voted to proceed with a merger

Saint Joseph's University & University of the Sciences

Cash-flow problems and a downgrade in UScience's bond rating appear to have been the impetus for the merger.

I can't imagine that the leadership at the other independent stand-alone [or highly pharmacy-centric] schools like Albany, Appalachian, and St. Louis see this as anything other than an uncomfortable glimpse into their future.

USciences is celebrating their 200th anniversary this year. It won't make it to 202.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
So basically the Jefferson + PhillyU merger, except PCP is the one losing its identity.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder how they will reconcile the huge tuition difference between the two. Jack is the pharmacy tuition ?

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically the Jefferson + PhillyU merger, except PCP is the one losing its identity.
As I understand it both parties in the Jefferson and PhillyU merger went into it allowing a marketing analysis to determine what school got to keep their name. PhillyU was on its fourth name and had poor recognition in the marketplace, and the Jefferson name was deemed to have a higher upside, so the decision was made to keep Jefferson and retire PhillyU. I don't think St. Joe's gave any consideration to allowing their name to be surrendered in this "merger". USciences was also on its fourth name (PCP, then PCPS, then USP, then USciences), so they've got that in common.

In pharmacy education, we will now have:
- St. Joseph's University and University of St. Joseph
- University of the Pacific and Pacific University
- University of New England and Western New England University
- Manchester University and MCPHS University-Manchester
- South University and South College
- St. John's University and St. John Fisher College

Reactions: 1 user
As I understand it both parties in the Jefferson and PhillyU merger went into it allowing a marketing analysis to determine what school got to keep their name. PhillyU was on its fourth name and had poor recognition in the marketplace, and the Jefferson name was deemed to have a higher upside, so the decision was made to keep Jefferson and retire PhillyU. I don't think St. Joe's gave any consideration to allowing their name to be surrendered in this "merger". USciences was also on its fourth name (PCP, then PCPS, then USP, then USciences), so they've got that in common.

Any updates/rumors on any complete closures?

And you can't forget Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Pharmacy in Georgia!

And you can't forget Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Pharmacy in Georgia!
and Lake Erie College of Medicine college of pharamcy in Florida

Reactions: 2 users