University of Toledo MSBS 2010-2011 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks adfitzthum! I was looking for good pre-MSBS program study materials :) Since my post, I spoke with Dr. Bennett-Clarke and got the list of books for Block 1. I've also contacted several of last year's MSBS students to find out which books they suggested. MANY said not to even buy any of the books. Most all agreed, if you are going to buy books, only buy the required ones because the exams revolved around the ppts you get for each week.

BUT...any other study files you want to share, I'm definitely interested :)

To answer your question, I have applied to the Medical Sciences MSBS program.

Just a reminder...I created a facebook page for our class. Just search for "University of Toledo MSBS 2010-2011"

I will not be joining the facebook group until I get an acceptance; otherwise, I feel like I'd be lying to myself :p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey -

Sorry I saw this thread so late. To be honest, I didn't use SDN after I got into medical school.

Alas, I was a former MSBS student (not last years class, but the one before that -- I'm going to be an M2 in August), and one that made it into the MD program. I know how stressful it can be waiting for acceptances in any program, so if there's anything I can help out with - please let me know.

I play a fairly active role at UToledo as far as student government goes, involved in a number of clubs, and I work with the MSBS program as well, so if there is anything I can answer or the alike - let me know.

-rb

I was fortunate enough to have gotten into a number of SMP throughout the nation when applying to them. I wasn't sure where to go as they all seemed so enticing. I would NEVER regret my decision to go to UT.

I'm not from Ohio. Throughout my life I've lived in big cities - and Toledo, well, isn't that. I had to forget all of that and remember why I was doing all of this. Anyway, one thing that I loved about Toledo was the fact that they promised you an interview as long as you had a 3.0 in the MSBS program and a 25MCAT (I don't know if that has changed in the past 2 years, but that's what it was for me).

The interview was great. It allows you to get the opportunity to get one step closer - a chance that many applicants don't really get. Also, not to forget, the mere percentage of students that get into the MD program from the MSBS program.

I will be honest, the MSBS program is a lot of work - but it has great returns as well. The first year of medical school you take 3 main classes (there are a few other small ones speckled in there - but nothing too hard). First you take BioChem, then Anatomy, then NeuroScience. In the MSBS program you take BioChem and NeuroScience with the first year students. These classes are the true indicators of how one will do at UTCOM. While the first years take Anatomy, the MSBS students take other courses which are noticeably easier (though I have known some people who have struggled through them).

It all depends on how bad you want it. The UToledo program is tough, but it's not impossible. The numbers don't lie about how many students get in and how well they do.

When looking back to the time when I had a choice as to where to go, I can't believe I thought twice about UToledo.

Hi all,

I just got accepted to the MSBS in Toledo! But I am also got accepted to IMS at Drexel and SMP at Georgetown...I'd like to hear you guy's, especially former students from these programs, opinions about each programs:rolleyes:
me: 3.3cGPA, 31MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey -

Sorry I saw this thread so late. To be honest, I didn't use SDN after I got into medical school.

Alas, I was a former MSBS student (not last years class, but the one before that -- I'm going to be an M2 in August), and one that made it into the MD program. I know how stressful it can be waiting for acceptances in any program, so if there's anything I can help out with - please let me know.

I play a fairly active role at UToledo as far as student government goes, involved in a number of clubs, and I work with the MSBS program as well, so if there is anything I can answer or the alike - let me know.

-rb

If I am accepted, how do I go about getting involved? I was extremely involved on the engineering campus for my undergrad and I would like to continue to be involved in my masters and medical degrees.

Is there a list of student organizations somewhere on Toledo's website? Which ones are you apart of and have you enjoyed them / have they been beneficial and rewarding?

For the MSBS program, do you get to pick the professor you research under or is it predetermined? How much research do they expect you to get done in a years time (or summers time)?

We all appreciate that you chimed in! Thank you for your willingness to help answer questions!

You caught me at a good time. I just got to my compute to do some work, and well, this is always a great way to procrastinate.

Getting involved TOO much during your MSBS year can be difficult unless you're on top of your academics. While the whole application is looked at, I feel as though there is a larger focus on your academics - grades particularly. I chose to shadow and volunteer. I also took part in the library's photo show and got to know one of my professors. Since the MSBS program is officially in the graduate school, not the medical school, the number of organizations that MSBS students can get involved in is limited, but not impossible. There is a club fair in the beginning of the year that a LOT of students go to. To answer your question completely, I am currently a member of the surgery club, internal medicine club, I have a state-chair position with the American Medical Association, and I'm student body President as well. It's a busy year, and once you get into the medical school - a lot more opportunities open up. So for the MSBS year - I would focus on academics first and foremost and maybe dabble into a few other areas if you have time.

As far as research goes, you are required to do a project and present it during the summer to be granted your masters degree. If you do matriculate in the medical school from the MSBS program you have to do this to get in as getting into the medical school is contingent upon getting the masters. Some students feel that since they already got into the MD program that they can just forget the masters degree research - not the case. As far as the researcher - well, you can do anything! They tell you to find something you like and enjoy and go with that. The doors are quite open. I'm interested in national policy and large scale health, so I worked with the Department of Public Health and had a great time. Just do what you want, with whoever is willing to accept you to work with them, and you'll be set.

Glad I can help,

-rb

If I am accepted, how do I go about getting involved? I was extremely involved on the engineering campus for my undergrad and I would like to continue to be involved in my masters and medical degrees.

Is there a list of student organizations somewhere on Toledo's website? Which ones are you apart of and have you enjoyed them / have they been beneficial and rewarding?

For the MSBS program, do you get to pick the professor you research under or is it predetermined? How much research do they expect you to get done in a years time (or summers time)?

We all appreciate that you chimed in! Thank you for your willingness to help answer questions!

Hey all,
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and to those of you still waiting, keep the faith!
I'm looking for 1-2 roommates. I live in FL so I can't really apartment hunt, but I looked up a few places. Anyone who knows the area, let me know about these places...good, bad, etc: King's cove, heathergate, orchard lakes, museum place, woodridge, ridge at tibaron. Anything else that is good, please let me know! Also, message me if you might want to room.
Thanks,
Kyle

Hey Kyle -

I was in your boat exactly 2 years ago when I was looking into the program. I'm from Orlando, Florida (I'm actually here now until the end of the month if you wanted to talk about UToledo), and I had to find housing myself 'blindly'. There are a number of great places to live - I live at a place called Quail Hollow at the Lakes (it's on Airport). It's about a 10-15 minute drive from school - but it's worth it. There are a lot of medical students who live there - maybe more than any other place. If you put my name down - Rajiv - I'll give you a kick back on the referral. Heathergate is another decent place - it's quite nice as well. My roommate moved from there to live at Quail Hollow.

I can go on about a lot of these places, but if you narrow it down to a few, let me know and I can help you out. I am partial to Quail. It's probably the 2nd nicest place in Toledo to live, I'd say. The 'luxury' apartments are Chelsea Place - but they are like 20 -25 minutes away and with the snow, it's not something I'm willing to do. If you haven't experienced snow, as I hadn't before going to UT -- that's a WHOLE new thing. I'm a Florida boy through and through...haha

Hey all,
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and to those of you still waiting, keep the faith!
I'm looking for 1-2 roommates. I live in FL so I can't really apartment hunt, but I looked up a few places. Anyone who knows the area, let me know about these places...good, bad, etc: King's cove, heathergate, orchard lakes, museum place, woodridge, ridge at tibaron. Anything else that is good, please let me know! Also, message me if you might want to room.
Thanks,
Kyle

HI Bahl85

What is the rent range at Quailhollow and Heathergate?

I enthusiastically report that I will be joining those of you who have received acceptances for the 2010-2011 year! I look forward to meeting you all and wish you all the best! :-D

Congratulations!!

I enthusiastically report that I will be joining those of you who have received acceptances for the 2010-2011 year! I look forward to meeting you all and wish you all the best! :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was accepted into the program about two weeks ago. I am still on the waitlist (HP/is) which i am sure some of you are too. Does anyone know if many or any people get into the upcoming med school year after they are accepted into the MSBS, or if once you get into this they already decided there will be no more movement.
Also, I was wondering more information about the summer research... In particular when are the presentations and when is it done, because I got a ten month lease and want to make sure I am not out of it too soon.
Thanks!
KB

Hey, I was accepted into the program about two weeks ago. I am still on the waitlist (HP/is) which i am sure some of you are too. Does anyone know if many or any people get into the upcoming med school year after they are accepted into the MSBS, or if once you get into this they already decided there will be no more movement.
Also, I was wondering more information about the summer research... In particular when are the presentations and when is it done, because I got a ten month lease and want to make sure I am not out of it too soon.
Thanks!
KB

According to their literature, 65% of students accepted into Toledo's MSBS program get accepted into their medical school. This does not include people who are accepted elsewhere or who voluntarily choose to not pursue med school anymore (and instead maybe continue with a PhD). http://www.utoledo.edu/med/grad/pdfs/msbs_info_page.pdf

As far as the research, all I can tell you is it is only in the summer (you do not have to do research during the fall and spring semesters). I do not know when specific dates are. I'm assuming we'll be informed of that during orientation on Aug 18th.

If you got a 10 month lease starting, say, Aug 1st, I could almost bet that the presentations would be later than June 1st. I'm just guessing, but I would say they would be sometime in August (probably around August 6th as that's when summer classes end this year). http://calendar.utoledo.edu/MasterCalendar.aspx?data=zF4djibTi3xCoxvXa4i5sg==

Hi,

I have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment at Quail Hollow. Unfortunately, my roommate just got accepted to a different school so I am looking for a female roommate. The rent is $385/month for your own bedroom and bathroom and includes in unit washer and dryer. PM me if you're interested!

Thanks

Has anyone else received their financial aid package yet? I filled out my fafsa on time and everything, but I think due to my late acceptance, nothing has come through (e.g. I have zero financial aid currently). I was wondering if anyone had any insight. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow about it and report back on what they say in case any of you are in the same situation.

Does this school take mostly Ohio residents? Would you have to have a really outstanding academic record to get accepted if you were out of state?

Is this an SMP designed more or less for getting into only Toledo for med school, or do you have a shot at applying to other schools as well? And is this a one-year program?

Sounds like it's great overall, and congrats to those being admitted. Seeing some 27s and 28s for MCATs gives me a little more hope.

Does this school take mostly Ohio residents? Would you have to have a really outstanding academic record to get accepted if you were out of state?

As far as I can tell, the majority of the accepted applicants were Ohio residents, but I'm not sure if that's due to out of state individuals not knowing about the program or if the admissions committee actively selects Ohio residents; if I were to guess, I would guess the former is more the case.

Is this an SMP designed more or less for getting into only Toledo for med school, or do you have a shot at applying to other schools as well? And is this a one-year program?

Sounds like it's great overall, and congrats to those being admitted. Seeing some 27s and 28s for MCATs gives me a little more hope.

From what I understand, the majority do stay at Toledo's medical school, but I have heard of others being accepted elsewhere. The program isn't necessarily designed specifically for Toledo's medical school.

You are correct that this is a one year program; two semesters of classwork and a summer of research.

I'm pretty sure the majority were in-state. Out-of-state tuition is pretty expensive. However, your record doesn't have to be outstanding to get in OOS. I'm from Michigan, and my numbers were 3.5/3.0 (cum/sci) and 30 MCAT.

I'm pretty sure the majority were in-state. Out-of-state tuition is pretty expensive. However, your record doesn't have to be outstanding to get in OOS. I'm from Michigan, and my numbers were 3.5/3.0 (cum/sci) and 30 MCAT.

Thanks for the heads up adfitzthum and RedWings. Goodluck in the program :)

I was also out of state, MCAT 27, GPA 3.8.

Good luck! :luck:

Would I have any chance for Fall '11 with around a 3.5 gpa and 24 MCAT. I know my MCAT is low but the requirements need >23 :D Oh, I'm OOS as well.

Would I have any chance for Fall '11 with around a 3.5 gpa and 24 MCAT. I know my MCAT is low but the requirements need >23 :D Oh, I'm OOS as well.

I can't say for sure, but it seems the majority of the people who have shared their GPA/MCAT (both on this site and personally to me) have had a 27 or higher MCAT with variable GPAs. I think they weigh your MCAT score much higher than your GPA in this instance. I personally would recommend taking it again and trying to improve.

Did you apply to Toledo this year / last year and get denied? If so, I would highly recommend you talk to them about this program and about general admission to medical school; talk to them about why you got denied. Carol Bennett-Clarke (CBC) was extremely helpful in telling me what they are looking for as an admissions committee (i.e. what I need to improve upon); however, she's very hard to get a hold of since she's so busy. I believe Dr. Crissman also is active in the admissions process.

Take a look at this document http://www.utoledo.edu/med/grad/pdfs/msbs_info_page.pdf in regards to what their averages and recommended MCAT and GPAs are. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I'll try to answer whenever I have time.

I can't say for sure, but it seems the majority of the people who have shared their GPA/MCAT (both on this site and personally to me) have had a 27 or higher MCAT with variable GPAs. I think they weigh your MCAT score much higher than your GPA in this instance. I personally would recommend taking it again and trying to improve.

Did you apply to Toledo this year / last year and get denied? If so, I would highly recommend you talk to them about this program and about general admission to medical school; talk to them about why you got denied. Carol Bennett-Clarke (CBC) was extremely helpful in telling me what they are looking for as an admissions committee (i.e. what I need to improve upon); however, she's very hard to get a hold of since she's so busy. I believe Dr. Crissman also is active in the admissions process.

Take a look at this document http://www.utoledo.edu/med/grad/pdfs/msbs_info_page.pdf in regards to what their averages and recommended MCAT and GPAs are. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I'll try to answer whenever I have time.

Thanks for all the info. I've never applied to the program and will be applying this coming application cycle. I'm applying DO as well so if I get accepted, I will just do that. The problem I have is that I've taken the MCAT 3 times and haven't done well any of the times. I got two 21's and then recently a 24. I was so upset because I followed the S2Ned's MCAT study schedule, used the Berkeley Review books, and averaged a 29 on all of the AAMC tests. It was a huge shock when I got my score but I have to move on and figure something out. My science GPA is a 3.59 and my non-science is 3.32. Thanks for the help again.

Thanks for all the info. I've never applied to the program and will be applying this coming application cycle. I'm applying DO as well so if I get accepted, I will just do that. The problem I have is that I've taken the MCAT 3 times and haven't done well any of the times. I got two 21's and then recently a 24. I was so upset because I followed the S2Ned's MCAT study schedule, used the Berkeley Review books, and averaged a 29 on all of the AAMC tests. It was a huge shock when I got my score but I have to move on and figure something out. My science GPA is a 3.59 and my non-science is 3.32. Thanks for the help again.

It doesn't hurt to apply for the MSBS-MS program. You should find out from several schools whether you're accepted or not by the time you would apply (although, I'm not sure how late DO schools accept/deny applicants as I didn't try... even though I probably should have looking back).

Best of luck to you!

does the SMP program link with an allopathic or osteopathic medical program? i'm kinda confused as UT is posted in allopathic sections. I always thought CoM was osteo

does the SMP program link with an allopathic or osteopathic medical program? i'm kinda confused as UT is posted in allopathic sections. I always thought CoM was osteo

UTCOM is an allopathic (M.D.) program. We do not have an osteopathic (D.O.) program. Thus, when you complete the MSBS-MS program, you're offered an interview for their M.D. program.

Out of curiosity, why did you think UTCOM was osteopathic? There is only one osteopathic school in Ohio; Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States#Ohio

haha other than the reason that I'm a complete idiot?

just kidding. I was always under the impression that COM meant osteopathic and SOM was allopathic.

Also when i googled Toledo Osteopathic/Toledo Allopathic I got results for both, so I was kinda confused.

Thanks for the clarification though. Much appreciated!

Planning on applying to the program! =D

haha other than the reason that I'm a complete idiot?

just kidding. I was always under the impression that COM meant osteopathic and SOM was allopathic.

Also when i googled Toledo Osteopathic/Toledo Allopathic I got results for both, so I was kinda confused.

Thanks for the clarification though. Much appreciated!

Planning on applying to the program! =D

Haha. Not a problem. Good luck applying! So far I am very pleased with this program; I feel like the faculty / staff are very helpful, the material is challenging and pertinent to medical school, and the other individuals that were accepted are quality individuals. If you get accepted, you'll love it. :)

thanks! I appreciate the kind words.
I was wondering if you had any information on the types of students that they accept. I'm a biological sciences major with a 3.2-3.3 gpa and i got a 27 on the MCAT. I'm planning on retaking it though. Do you think I have a shot?

thanks! I appreciate the kind words.
I was wondering if you had any information on the types of students that they accept. I'm a biological sciences major with a 3.2-3.3 gpa and i got a 27 on the MCAT. I'm planning on retaking it though. Do you think I have a shot?

All I can do is refer you to what people have already said in the previous posts. I think you'll have a decent shot, but if you were above a 30 MCAT with your GPA, I'd say you would have a really good shot. I think your MCAT weighs a little more than your GPA for this program.

Think of it this way. Your low GPA could be due to several reasons; bad teachers, poor grading scales, family illness, etc. However, your MCAT is based solely on what you know / what you can obtain from the information provided. Thus, having a high MCAT with a lower GPA is more favorable since it shows you do know your basic sciences and that they will be willing to "test you out" in real medical school courses. If you do well in the year of med school courses, they know you're capable of succeeding.

As mentioned before, I graduated with somewhere around a 3.4 GPA and a 28 MCAT. I was also a bioengineering major which may have weighed more in my favor too though. Thus I would say that you're on the border, but with a higher MCAT, you'll have a really good shot of getting accepted.

As i applied after May 1st deadline due to my own reasons, would it be possible that my application will be given fair review?sGPA3.4,cGPA3.5,MCAT- Cumulative 23 -26-took 4+ times;what are my chances fall 2011;Ohio resident;When do we expect the result?Any info please

Last edited: