University of Toronto Pharmacy 2007--FINAL DECISIONS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know the deadline for accepting? It would really help those on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Vibester, I believe the deadline to accept the offer was July 6. I'm still waiting to hear from them too...

Is anyone on the waitlist looking for a roomate if they get accepted? It's so hard to know since we may not find out till september 10!!! I wonder when they started to contact people last year..someone told me end of July but the letter says August 1...? (can you tell im nervous lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Vibester, I believe the deadline to accept the offer was July 6. I'm still waiting to hear from them too...

July 6!? :eek:

Now that scares me. I thought it would be end of July or so, since the letter said they would most likely contact in August if a spot was available.

Can someone who received an offer verify the date?

july 6 is the deadline to accept or decline for ppl that got first round offers of admission (ie june 25) ... but for the ppl still waiting to hear ... i am not too sure

July 6 was the deadline for the students initially accepted. I believe for waitlisted students, there is no real deadline as the student can only accept the offer once they have received it. So don't worry about the deadline so much.

Just thought I would post my PQA results.

Test A1 28
Test A2 117
Test A3 294

i didnt get in this year
here are my PQA results

A1: 24
A2: 118
A3: 310

Feedback anyone I would really appricate it !!

Hey guys, here are my pqa results

A1 : 32

A2 : 95

A3 : 296

Hope this helps out somehow. But don't read into it too much, I don't think there is a magic set of numbers they are looking for.

Hey!
Waitlist calls start today, anyone else nervous???!!
All this waiting is driving me nuts and Im too afraid to contact the faculty about the whole 100 person waitlist now that its making it worse lol

Oh yeah my PQA scores were 27, 130, 294...

Hey hawk, i'm in the same boat. I'm extremely nervous. I keep looking at my phone every few minutes, lol. I'm assuming that if I don't get a call within the first week, I am ranked lower in the upper half.

I hate this waiting game. I would feel so much better if they just gave updates stating when they would start contacting people, how many spots are open, etc etc.

wow...i havent been to this forum in ages.... but since i was google-ing for this topic...i fell back into this forum again! Congrats to all who made it to Pharmacy everywhere.

I got accepted to both UT and UW pharmacy this year in the first admission round and still indecisive. I have to reject one by tonight so I don't hold up the spot. *sorry* Hope everyone else on the waitlist will make it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone of you frequent Biome?

wow...i havent been to this forum in ages.... but since i was google-ing for this topic...i fell back into this forum again! Congrats to all who made it to Pharmacy everywhere.

I got accepted to both UT and UW pharmacy this year in the first admission round and still indecisive. I have to reject one by tonight so I don't hold up the spot. *sorry* Hope everyone else on the waitlist will make it!

wasn't the deadline to accept UofT's offer a while back?

wasn't the deadline to accept UofT's offer a while back?

haha yea it was of course...i accepted both before the deadlines....so thats why i need to reject one ASAP! I feel really bad for holding a spot! sorry =S

Puneater, how long are you able to hold the spot? Is the last day that someone can reject the offer, the day the fees are due?

Puneater, how long are you able to hold the spot? Is the last day that someone can reject the offer, the day the fees are due?

Actually I have no idea when the deadline is to reject an offer. Did you read something about deadlines for giving up an accepted position? If so, where?

Actually I have no idea when the deadline is to reject an offer. Did you read something about deadlines for giving up an accepted position? If so, where?

Puneeater,

There is no deadline to reject, but they want you to make your decision as soon as possible. Just curious, what are the factors that are influencing your decision?

Puneeater,

There is no deadline to reject, but they want you to make your decision as soon as possible. Just curious, what are the factors that are influencing your decision?

There are actually many factors, and here are just SOME of them:

-away from family
-costs for tuition + residence in Waterloo (I live in toronto now)
-prospects in the future (or finding a better job)
-academic program quality
-affecting my chances of getting into Dentistry (as I will be doing the DATs this november and since UW starts in January, i'll have plenty of time to study. However UT starts in september, so i will have to keep up with school work while studying for the DATs at the same time.)
- .... more factors ...

-away from family
-affecting my chances of getting into Dentistry (as I will be doing the DATs this november and since UW starts in January, i'll have plenty of time to study. However UT starts in september, so i will have to keep up with school work while studying for the DATs at the same time.)
- .... more factors ...

Hey Puneater
i dont understand you?
If dentisrty is really the carrer you want to pusure and then why are u in pharm school
if dentistry is really what u want do then focus on that
if i was you i would spend more time studying for the DAT
and give someone else who really wants to become a pharmacist ( LIKE ME ) your TWO spots !

-away from family
- .... more factors ...

Puneater,

Are you planning on applying to Dentistry after your first year in the Pharm program? If Dentistry is what you really want then I don't really see why you're going through the trouble of starting Pharmacy as it won't really help with boosting your GPA and studying for your DATs (as you mentioned)...I understand it's a good backup in case you don't get into Dentistry but I'm just curious as to what your reasoning is for going into Pharmacy!

Hey Puneeater,

I understand the factors influencing your decision. But its also true, that pharmacy school will not help with your gpa. I heard they keep the marks low, so students will not have a chance to leave the program and go into other fields. So you should consider that. Pharmacy is a GREAT career, I have done a LOT of research on it, and I think its the right fit for me (for now). There are tons of opportunities and a lot of prospect too (pharmacists don't just work in retail). Salary potential is great too, it will go up significantly by the time we graduate. Dental school will probably make you more happy in terms of salary though.

It must be noted that some who went into pharmacy did later successfully pursue other fields such as medicine, but I agree with the others. Pharmacy will not help your GPA, unless you are that good. :D

Also, this is a profession for the rest of your life. If it is something you truly aren't sure about doing, perhaps you should defer admission. I know of one person accepted this year who postponed their admission by one year.

hey guys, thanks for your comments. But to answer all your questions, Pharmacy is actually my first choice now, even though dentistry was ONCE my first choice of career. However, I'm sure that dentistry isn't really what I want to do but I am doing the DATs only because my parents want me to give it a shot as my sister is in dentistry now also. I am only doing the DATs to please them.

Fellow waitlisters....have you heard anything yet?! I'm still waiting...:(

It's been little over a week and still no call.
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone on the waiting list got a call?
Anyways, there have been some cases where they call you a week before school starts.
I just hope that they're not that cruel and let us know earlier.

hey guys,
No phone call for me yet either...I was away for the long weekend and hoped I would come home to some good news on my answering machine ..but nothing yet :(
Im also wondering if anyone out there on the wait-list has gotten a phone call? If 30 people got in last year off the waitlist either everyone is accepting their offer this year, or they are taking things slow in terms of phone calls at the faculty...Im confused as to why it is taking so long though, since everyone had to say yes or no by July 6...?
Anyone else have back-up plans? I am a couple credits short of graduating so Ill be back at Ottawa U next year if things fall through, and then apply to most of the out of province schools next year and hope for the best :) Aparently having experience is a huge bonus and definitely helps during interviews, so Im going to look for a pharmacy job in Sept if Im still here...

hey guys,
No phone call for me yet either...I was away for the long weekend and hoped I would come home to some good news on my answering machine ..but nothing yet :(
Im also wondering if anyone out there on the wait-list has gotten a phone call? If 30 people got in last year off the waitlist either everyone is accepting their offer this year, or they are taking things slow in terms of phone calls at the faculty...Im confused as to why it is taking so long though, since everyone had to say yes or no by July 6...?
Anyone else have back-up plans? I am a couple credits short of graduating so Ill be back at Ottawa U next year if things fall through, and then apply to most of the out of province schools next year and hope for the best :) Aparently having experience is a huge bonus and definitely helps during interviews, so Im going to look for a pharmacy job in Sept if Im still here...

Actually, Hawk747, supplementary stuff such as experience or awards don't count for UT pharmacy. So they don't look into those things but however, if those supplementary things HELP with answering questions on the UTPAT, then it would definitely be a bonus.

Nothing over here either. Just waiting for the call. It should be illegal to put people under such unnecessary stress. :(

Actually, Hawk747, supplementary stuff such as experience or awards don't count for UT pharmacy. So they don't look into those things but however, if those supplementary things HELP with answering questions on the UTPAT, then it would definitely be a bonus.

Pharmacy experience does help with interview questions though, and I know some out of province schools have interviews. Good luck to you hawk747, I hope we all get the call soon!

Just wondering guys, are most of you on the upper half or the lower of the waiting list?
And just to clarify, it is a 100 people on the waiting list and not 60?
Thank you.

Hey Asynthen

I am on the upper half of the wait-list, however it doesn't seem like they have even started phone calls, or at least no one on this site has gotten one yet...? About the 100 person wait-list, Im really not sure if that is even true. Someone said we would all be getting emails about this in the near future, but I haven't received anything yet so I dont know, and really why would they add another 40 people all of a sudden? I guess its completely possible, just seems strange coming from a school that seems overly organized in everything they do. I was thinking of just making an anonymous call to the faculty and asking if they have even started phone calls, that way I will either feel better, or worse I guess if they have lol... Good luck to you!

hawk747
I am also on the upper half of the list too and we have the same thought pattern. I can't see why would they add 40 more people to the list. What is the point of that? 60 people should be good enough to fill 240 spaces. I can't see how the opening of waterloo's pharmacy school would cause that big of a concern. (Only a selected few got accepted into both)

Anyways, funny you should bring up the anonymous call, I was about to do that today. However I stopped myself and considered the possibility that they have made the phone calls already and it's just that the people who accepted are not aware of this board's existence.
Anyways, I'm just afraid to call them. This is already my second time on the waiting list, I really hope to get in this time and that'll be the end of it.

Hey asynthen,

Was last year's waiting list 60 people as well? Which half were you in? I really wish they'd update us about this waitlist thing...or at least let us know if they've started calling people yet. I am also on the upper half of the waiting list.

Hey guys,

Its really unfair how they are managing the waitlist. They should let you guys know at least, or have a system where you are constantly updated. I feel for you guys. I am gonna try to talk to the faculty once school starts, so hopefully they won't do it next year. I am not doing this out of pity, I just pictured myself in your shoes, and it sucks. But I wish you all good luck, hope to see you guys in September.

Hey guys,

Its really unfair how they are managing the waitlist. They should let you guys know at least, or have a system where you are constantly updated. I feel for you guys. I am gonna try to talk to the faculty once school starts, so hopefully they won't do it next year. I am not doing this out of pity, I just pictured myself in your shoes, and it sucks. But I wish you all good luck, hope to see you guys in September.

I'm with BrownSound guys!

So, after a quick check, those on the waitlist:

Upper half:

arnett
hawk747
starlil
asynthen
vibester

Lower half:

progrum

asynthen,
I would also like to know which half you were in last year. Did you apply to any other schools as well as TO? If they admitted 30 people from the waitlist last year, that means that 50 people would have had to decline their offer since they send out 260 offers for 240 places...which makes me really think all those on the upper half have a pretty good chance right? But now Im doubting myself...

It would be great if anyone else out there who is on the waitlist could let us know where they stand or if they have gotten a phone call so we can find some loop hole to their stupid system of not telling us anything and keep track of how many have been admitted :)

Hey Guys

I feel really bad for saying this, but I wasn't on the waiting list last year. I was on the waiting list the year before and it was only 40 people on the waiting list. I was in the lower half of that region.
(So yeah, I'm improved ! :laugh:)

Even though there were a total of 30 people who got in from the waiting list, it doesn't mean that it would happen again this year. Every year is different, people have different needs and undergo different circumstances. We only wish for that to happen, and repeat itself, but we cannot count on it.

The way I see it is this; thanks to vibester, we have the information to see to who belongs in the upper half. What we can only do now, is to inform each other if they get a phone call.

To the people who got in: Do you know anything with happens to the people who reject the offer. I remember a few years ago when I was on that waiting list, they would call the people who rejected the offer and ask them for some explaination. They would also call the people who got in, to confirm their status. Do you know if that is the case for this year?
If so, that might be a reason as why everything is so slow this year.

Other than that, I really hope we all get in and have a kickass time in pharmacy!

Hey Guys

I feel really bad for saying this, but I wasn't on the waiting list last year. I was on the waiting list the year before and it was only 40 people on the waiting list. I was in the lower half of that region.
(So yeah, I'm improved ! :laugh:)

Even though there were a total of 30 people who got in from the waiting list, it doesn't mean that it would happen again this year. Every year is different, people have different needs and undergo different circumstances. We only wish for that to happen, and repeat itself, but we cannot count on it.

The way I see it is this; thanks to vibester, we have the information to see to who belongs in the upper half. What we can only do now, is to inform each other if they get a phone call.

To the people who got in: Do you know anything with happens to the people who reject the offer. I remember a few years ago when I was on that waiting list, they would call the people who rejected the offer and ask them for some explaination. They would also call the people who got in, to confirm their status. Do you know if that is the case for this year?
If so, that might be a reason as why everything is so slow this year.

Other than that, I really hope we all get in and have a kickass time in pharmacy!

I think because of how the world is now so reliant on technology/internet, they've made most of the communication through internet/email on decisions to speed up the process (although it doesn't appear to be any faster in the waitlist admission process). They haven't made us contact them through telephone/person at all, only by fax for the acceptance/decline of admission.

Hey puneater,

Just curious, have you made your decision between Waterloo or Toronto yet? I have a friend who had to make the same decision...

Heya waitlisters,

I'm also in the upper half.....and no I have not heard anything from UofT since July....although I do check my email and phone messages so much that it should qualify as a part time job :) I dunno what's going on. Hope someone hears something soon, cuz I'm starting to lose hope. bah!

Hey puneater,

Just curious, have you made your decision between Waterloo or Toronto yet? I have a friend who had to make the same decision...

yea, i chose UT

Almost a quarter of the waiting time has passed, and still no call to 5 of the 25/30 on the upper half. Perhaps they are taking few from the waitlist this year.

Hey puneater,

what did the friend choose?

hey guys

i applied to Ut this year not Waterloo but im thinking about applying to waterloo next year since i got rejected from UT
most of you guys who applied to both school and got accepted by both are choosing Ut over waterloo
and i was just wondering why and what influenced your final decisions
thanks in advance !

Hi all! I haven't checked this thread for ages..

For those of you who haven't heard anything yet, I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news :( but I've heard that spaces are filled for this year's incoming class and they're only going to take a few people from the waitlist from now until sept if the need arises...but it's just something I've heard on campus so it may be wrong or right who knows guys..... But I'm really pulling for my fellow SDNers, don't lose hope guys if it was meant to be it'll happen.

And for those who've got accepted, congrats first of all :D, and what are you guys doing to prepare for pharmacy school? I'm just working full time (gonna pay tuition myself hopeully) ...I'm such a nerd, my love affair with my organic chem textbook continues...anyhoo I can't wait to start class with you guys in the fall, so see ya around!

Word of mouth is not the most reliable source for these kinds of information. Please do not crush somebody's hope just because 'you heard it'. Imagine being on the wailist and reading such an asinine response.