Position Available University of Utah Ocular Pathology/Research Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1008639

This post is regarding the University of Utah Ocular Pathology/Research Fellowship positions for 2021-2022.

A year ago, I was shocked and terrified when I discovered I did not match into an Ophthalmology residency. I was lucky to have great advisors who directed me towards a pre-residency research year. I felt that this option would be better than doing a intern or prelim year because I could strengthen the research in my application and solidify my commitment to ophthalmology. Bolstered by the work we have done here at the University of Utah, my co-fellow and I both at least doubled the number of interviews we received last year and matched into ophthalmology programs that were high on our rank lists. In retrospect, this has been the best decision I could have made. I would strongly advise anyone who did not match and still wants to be an ophthalmologist to pursue this pre-residency fellowship at the Moran Eye Center.

If you have found this post, I am sorry for your pain, and I understand it is a difficult time. I tried my best to look at this situation as an opportunity, and the Ocular Pathology/Research Fellowship will prepare you for a bright future. I decided to come here because of its long track record of fellows successfully matching. The program has been active for more than 30 years. Initially, the success rate was nearly 100%, but over the last decade, about 2 out the 3 fellows per year matched. This decline was worrisome to me, but it reflects the increasing competitiveness of the field. A few years ago, the lab decided to accept only 2 fellows per year, and thankfully we both matched in great programs.

This fellowship is great because of Dr. Mamalis and Dr. Werner. They are the directors and understand what is necessary to get into residency. They are kind, patient mentors whose goal is to help you get into residency. Our work is divided into pathology, which is supervised by Dr. Mamalis, and research, which is more Dr. Werner's domain.

On the pathology side, we are responsible for grossing specimens from the OR and participating during path read-outs. We learned about the anatomy, physiology, histology and pathology of the eye. I see it as medical school strictly devoted to the eye. Under Dr. Mamalis' guidance, we have published multiple peer-reviewed online manuscripts, presented interesting cases at the Moran Ophthalmology Grand Rounds, and written chapters in the new edition of a well-regarded textbook. He recently stepped down as the president of ASCRS, but still has tremendous influence in the field of anterior segment research. He is one of the world's leading experts on Toxic Anterior Segment Syndrome (TASS), and we play a role in the task force dedicated to this surgical complication. Dr. Mamalis also has prior experience on the residency selection committee, and he helped us with our applications and prepare for interviews.

Our research is dedicated to intraocular lenses and other devices that we test in the animal model. Dr. Werner is a tremendous resource and has taught me more than I thought I would ever know about IOLs. There are very few centers that do the work that we do here, and the role of the fellow in the studies is essential. Interviewers were always very interested in our work. Dr. Werner is the current editor of ASCRS and is extremely well-published herself. With the help of both Dr. Mamalis and Dr. Werner, we have each had three abstracts accepted for presentation at the next ASCRS meeting. She is a world-renowned expert on IOLs, and we have analyzed hundreds of lenses from surgical centers around the world.

One caveat traditionally given to applicants is that this fellowship will not increase your chances of matching here at the Moran. Anecdotally, however, I found that last year I had no chance, while this year I was given the opportunity to interview here. You will find that the generosity is pervasive throughout the entire department, and other faculty members here have helped me in many ways.

If you did not match this year, but are determined to become an ophthalmologist, I truly believe this is the best program to achieve your dreams. Please follow the link below for more information:

Please reach out for any advice or if you have any questions. My email is [email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I have recently joined the network. I had some queries regarding ophthalmology residency. I am an ophthalmologist with clinical experience (IMG) for a couple of years. Planning to apply for residency next year but have low and average scores in all the steps, no attempts, have 3 ophth and 2 other pubs, ophtho research experience at home country. Will research for one year from a reputed institute with good LORs help in my match or do I have to look for other specialties.