University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3lefts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m a psychiatry intern at the University of Utah. I thought I’d write up the program because I remember having some difficulty finding current reviews about it last year.

I’d like to start with some nuggets I’ve learned since match day. As some of you might know, this program wasn’t my first choice. I was one of the many applicants hoping to match in California. But, now that I’m here, I’m totally grateful that I matched here despite my narcissism (hey, we all have traits!) getting the best of me, since I’m happier than I’ve ever been before. It’s such a rewarding job, in an environment where residents can thrive. I know the interview process is very anxiety-provoking, but I encourage you to have some faith that program directors know (maybe better than the applicants themselves) which types of folks will be a great fit for their program. It’s easy to get your heart set on one particular place, but keep some perspective that ultimately there are tons of fantastic programs where you can become a competent physician, and very few programs that are malignant or provide unacceptable training. One thing I think I overemphasized in making my rank list was the charisma of program leadership. What’s important is if they care about their residents and will listen to them and advocate for them, and the best program directors can be pretty reserved on the surface. Additionally, I think one thing I under-appreciated when making my rank list was the importance of cost of living for quality of life. If I had matched in LA, my rent for a very uninspiring apartment would be $500 or more a month than my mortgage for a tiny but cute cottage in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in SLC. The financial freedom to comfortably eat out, go to events, and visit family (there are direct <2 hour flights to LA, SJO, Oakland for $140 RT!) has really made my transition a fun one.

So, about the program:

To be honest, I initially had some concerns about the rigor of the program. At the pre-interview dinner, the residents kept emphasizing how they have all this time to make the most of living in a beautiful state. I thought there was no way there could also be an emphasis on excellence like at my first choice, where the residents work tons of hours over the first two years. Turns out I was super wrong— it’s a very strong academic program that attracts really bright people who are passionate about the field. Many of the residents and attendings come off as relaxed, with liberal use of humor and sarcasm, but they also have an internal sense of excellence and compassion. A lot of faculty are involved in interesting research. There are global and women’s health tracks (though they are still being developed to their full potential— hopefully next year’s class will continue to work on this!) There is also an MD/PhD in our class on a research track, but I’m not sure about the details of what that means.

Many of our rotations are at the University Neuropsychiatric Institute, a well-resourced 118-bed dedicated psychiatric hospital that draws interesting cases from 5+ states. The units are focused on different needs, but we carry patients around the hospital, so at most times we have an interesting variety on our list. Interns are capped at 6 patients. The call schedule is exceedingly reasonable (I would guess we average about 1.5 5pm-8pm shifts per week with no weekends at all PGY1. Also, it’s unspoken policy that if you live close to the hospital, you can take call from home. I’m averaging about 1-2 admits per shift, but occasionally get none at all). Still, you certainly work enough and see plenty of patients to learn what you need to know to be a good psychiatrist (usually 35-60 hours a week depending on the rotation, with the VA being significantly lighter than other settings). In addition to UNI, we rotate through a psychiatric unit at the university hospital which focuses on more medically complex patients; the teaching there is excellent. Consult psychiatry is a weaker rotation currently because a pair of attendings at the university hospital was running into issues with the residents, so we were pulled from that setting (the program leadership has zero tolerance for a malignant working environment... honestly, they probably protect us too much... we will have to deal with the occasional jerk in the real world!) Residents are temporarily doing their CL rotations at the VA instead of the academic hospital (lower volume, still good teaching though). I’m told we will be back at the university hospital for CL by next year, so this shouldn’t present a concern for applicants. As far as fellowships, there are strong child and addiction programs, and the department is growing under our current chair, so I wouldn’t be surprised if more options are added in the next few years. The chair is a research- and innovation-oriented guy who also rides a motorcycle and hates meetings— on vibe with the rest of the program!

Didactics are a full day on Wednesdays, from 9ish to 4ish. The senior residents have put an incredible amount of work into improving the curriculum, and I can attest that didactics have been reliably high quality and engaging. If anything, it’s great from wellness perspective (intern year can be isolating at some programs because you don’t have social connections outside of residency yet and you don’t see each other that much); we get a chance to catch up with other classes at the weekly resident meeting, over lunch (we usually have enough time in the schedule to grab a bite with each other at a local restaurant), plus it opens up Tuesday nights for socializing without having to worry about getting up early the next morning.

One thing to know if you are scared of rigorous off-service rotations is that at this program they are done in a 6-month block (3 months inpatient IM, 2 months inpt neuro, and 1 month ED or outpatient VA IM, which are both chill). You will be treated like any other resident on the service, working long hours and carrying lots of patients. It can be a hard time for people, but the senior residents I’ve talked to are glad they had the experience.

The starting salary is $59, 572. So, nothing special (but then again it’s also 20-40% less expensive to live in SLC than the California cities.) Don’t pick your program based on the perks, though also consider if a program is financially solvent to continue to exist for the next 4 years. That said, this program has less perks than some other academic programs— step 3 is not reimbursed, there is no educational stipend (though they bought online access to a ton of books), no moving stipend, no sweet matching pata-Gucci fleeces (though this is possibly in the works). On the other hand, they will fund you to go to a conference if you are presenting. There’s a free gym at UNI and a big discount for both you and your partner at the University gym, which is has a pool and climbing wall. Also, super cheap rentals from their outdoor services for things like kayaks and tents. The website says we only get 15 days of vacation (unlike 4 weeks at a lot of programs) but I think they undersell themselves. We also get a week of personal/conference days, all holidays while on-service, 12 sick days, plus extra days that don’t count against personal days for things like step 3 and funerals. Plus throughout residency we have protected Wednesdays, minimal weekends (they are divided up between the 9 PGY2’s) and almost no overnights (including off-service) except six weeks of night float PGY2. There is definitely enough time to moonlight if you want to. Once you are licensed as a physician (usually winter of PGY2), there are accessible opportunities, including internal ones, due to the severe psychiatrist shortage in the mountain west region.

If you come across them, there are some online reviews from a disgruntled resident a couple years ago about how the program was changing for the worse as far as lifestyle. However, that PD was re-assigned due to resident feedback (like I said, they maybe listen to us too much!), so those reviews are out of date. This year we have a new PD who has been long affiliated with the program and is committed to resident wellness. He’s quiet but honestly one of the nicest people I’ve ever met, with an encyclopedic knowledge of psychiatry.

Lastly, I had concerns about living in Utah, but they were unfounded. Like many cities, SLC shares a lot of the cultural characteristics I valued about California (immigrant-friendly, lesbian mayor, enormous pride festival). It is a mid-size city, which is nice since it’s not overwhelming to live here and there is still plenty to do. It’s become quite a foodie place in the past decade, with great local restaurants, coffee shops, and craft breweries (though you can’t get strong beers on tap, just from a bottle, and you have to get liquor from a state store, the other alcohol rules are pretty normal). There is a thriving music scene, plenty of festivals, and tons of stuff to do outdoors. It is ideally placed for staycations and the inexpensive short get-aways that can be rejuvenating and sustaining in residency. Compared to other great towns like Denver, Seattle and Sacramento, world class skiing is only 30 minutes away and there’s way less traffic (though people will still complain about it). Another difference is weed is not legal (though if that’s your thing I’m sure you could find it and no one would judge you). However, I think the area draws a similar group of transplants— young, active, athletic, people with lots of tattoos. Overall, I think most applicants that want to stay in the west would also be happy here.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I’m happy to answer them.

Kindly,
3Lefts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for the review as I'm sure prospective applicants appreciate a first-hand glimpse.

Curious, but is this coming from a 1. hey we need more applicants, or 2. I love my program and just felt compelled to tell everybody, or 3. I'm trying to dispel rumors angle?

Thanks for the review as I'm sure prospective applicants appreciate a first-hand glimpse.

Curious, but is this coming from a 1. hey we need more applicants, or 2. I love my program and just felt compelled to tell everybody, or 3. I'm trying to dispel rumors angle?

Good question! It’s a strong 2! Certainly not a 1, as they haven’t had to go very far down their rank list at all for the adult program in recent years. I know last year there were a number of qualified University of Utah med school grads hoping to stay that weren’t able to just because the program filled before getting to any of them. 3 is partially true only in the sense that I aimed my review at the concerns I remember having as an applicant, which in retrospect were totally off base. My husband was actually pretty upset when I matched here (though he tried to put on a brave face) just because of all the negative associations we had about Utah, and he possibly loves the area even more than I do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for taking the time to write your review. I encourage other residents to do the same from their program, especially if it's not a top 20 program that gets a lot of discussion on here. One thing to bear in mind is that interns don't really know very much about their program and are overly idealistic because they are in that developmental stage where their self-worth is tied up in their training program however they obviously know more than an applicant and their impressions still have some value. As an intern i thought my program was amazing; as a PGY-4 I hated it and couldn't wait to finish; now I'm several years out I can look back and realize I had it pretty good and got excellent training knowing that all programs are ultimately flawed

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all,

I’m a psychiatry intern at the University of Utah. I thought I’d write up the program because I remember having some difficulty finding current reviews about it last year.

I’d like to start with some nuggets I’ve learned since match day. As some of you might know, this program wasn’t my first choice. I was one of the many applicants hoping to match in California. But, now that I’m here, I’m totally grateful that I matched here despite my narcissism (hey, we all have traits!) getting the best of me, since I’m happier than I’ve ever been before. It’s such a rewarding job, in an environment where residents can thrive. I know the interview process is very anxiety-provoking, but I encourage you to have some faith that program directors know (maybe better than the applicants themselves) which types of folks will be a great fit for their program. It’s easy to get your heart set on one particular place, but keep some perspective that ultimately there are tons of fantastic programs where you can become a competent physician, and very few programs that are malignant or provide unacceptable training. One thing I think I overemphasized in making my rank list was the charisma of program leadership. What’s important is if they care about their residents and will listen to them and advocate for them, and the best program directors can be pretty reserved on the surface. Additionally, I think one thing I under-appreciated when making my rank list was the importance of cost of living for quality of life. If I had matched in LA, my rent for a very uninspiring apartment would be $500 or more a month than my mortgage for a tiny but cute cottage in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in SLC. The financial freedom to comfortably eat out, go to events, and visit family (there are direct <2 hour flights to LA, SJO, Oakland for $140 RT!) has really made my transition a fun one.

So, about the program:

To be honest, I initially had some concerns about the rigor of the program. At the pre-interview dinner, the residents kept emphasizing how they have all this time to make the most of living in a beautiful state. I thought there was no way there could also be an emphasis on excellence like at my first choice, where the residents work tons of hours over the first two years. Turns out I was super wrong— it’s a very strong academic program that attracts really bright people who are passionate about the field. Many of the residents and attendings come off as relaxed, with liberal use of humor and sarcasm, but they also have an internal sense of excellence and compassion. A lot of faculty are involved in interesting research. There are global and women’s health tracks (though they are still being developed to their full potential— hopefully next year’s class will continue to work on this!) There is also an MD/PhD in our class on a research track, but I’m not sure about the details of what that means.

Many of our rotations are at the University Neuropsychiatric Institute, a well-resourced 118-bed dedicated psychiatric hospital that draws interesting cases from 5+ states. The units are focused on different needs, but we carry patients around the hospital, so at most times we have an interesting variety on our list. Interns are capped at 6 patients. The call schedule is exceedingly reasonable (I would guess we average about 1.5 5pm-8pm shifts per week with no weekends at all PGY1. Also, it’s unspoken policy that if you live close to the hospital, you can take call from home. I’m averaging about 1-2 admits per shift, but occasionally get none at all). Still, you certainly work enough and see plenty of patients to learn what you need to know to be a good psychiatrist (usually 35-60 hours a week depending on the rotation, with the VA being significantly lighter than other settings). In addition to UNI, we rotate through a psychiatric unit at the university hospital which focuses on more medically complex patients; the teaching there is excellent. Consult psychiatry is a weaker rotation currently because a pair of attendings at the university hospital was running into issues with the residents, so we were pulled from that setting (the program leadership has zero tolerance for a malignant working environment... honestly, they probably protect us too much... we will have to deal with the occasional jerk in the real world!) Residents are temporarily doing their CL rotations at the VA instead of the academic hospital (lower volume, still good teaching though). I’m told we will be back at the university hospital for CL by next year, so this shouldn’t present a concern for applicants. As far as fellowships, there are strong child and addiction programs, and the department is growing under our current chair, so I wouldn’t be surprised if more options are added in the next few years. The chair is a research- and innovation-oriented guy who also rides a motorcycle and hates meetings— on vibe with the rest of the program!

Didactics are a full day on Wednesdays, from 9ish to 4ish. The senior residents have put an incredible amount of work into improving the curriculum, and I can attest that didactics have been reliably high quality and engaging. If anything, it’s great from wellness perspective (intern year can be isolating at some programs because you don’t have social connections outside of residency yet and you don’t see each other that much); we get a chance to catch up with other classes at the weekly resident meeting, over lunch (we usually have enough time in the schedule to grab a bite with each other at a local restaurant), plus it opens up Tuesday nights for socializing without having to worry about getting up early the next morning.

One thing to know if you are scared of rigorous off-service rotations is that at this program they are done in a 6-month block (3 months inpatient IM, 2 months inpt neuro, and 1 month ED or outpatient VA IM, which are both chill). You will be treated like any other resident on the service, working long hours and carrying lots of patients. It can be a hard time for people, but the senior residents I’ve talked to are glad they had the experience.

The starting salary is $59, 572. So, nothing special (but then again it’s also 20-40% less expensive to live in SLC than the California cities.) Don’t pick your program based on the perks, though also consider if a program is financially solvent to continue to exist for the next 4 years. That said, this program has less perks than some other academic programs— step 3 is not reimbursed, there is no educational stipend (though they bought online access to a ton of books), no moving stipend, no sweet matching pata-Gucci fleeces (though this is possibly in the works). On the other hand, they will fund you to go to a conference if you are presenting. There’s a free gym at UNI and a big discount for both you and your partner at the University gym, which is has a pool and climbing wall. Also, super cheap rentals from their outdoor services for things like kayaks and tents. The website says we only get 15 days of vacation (unlike 4 weeks at a lot of programs) but I think they undersell themselves. We also get a week of personal/conference days, all holidays while on-service, 12 sick days, plus extra days that don’t count against personal days for things like step 3 and funerals. Plus throughout residency we have protected Wednesdays, minimal weekends (they are divided up between the 9 PGY2’s) and almost no overnights (including off-service) except six weeks of night float PGY2. There is definitely enough time to moonlight if you want to. Once you are licensed as a physician (usually winter of PGY2), there are accessible opportunities, including internal ones, due to the severe psychiatrist shortage in the mountain west region.

If you come across them, there are some online reviews from a disgruntled resident a couple years ago about how the program was changing for the worse as far as lifestyle. However, that PD was re-assigned due to resident feedback (like I said, they maybe listen to us too much!), so those reviews are out of date. This year we have a new PD who has been long affiliated with the program and is committed to resident wellness. He’s quiet but honestly one of the nicest people I’ve ever met, with an encyclopedic knowledge of psychiatry.

Lastly, I had concerns about living in Utah, but they were unfounded. Like many cities, SLC shares a lot of the cultural characteristics I valued about California (immigrant-friendly, lesbian mayor, enormous pride festival). It is a mid-size city, which is nice since it’s not overwhelming to live here and there is still plenty to do. It’s become quite a foodie place in the past decade, with great local restaurants, coffee shops, and craft breweries (though you can’t get strong beers on tap, just from a bottle, and you have to get liquor from a state store, the other alcohol rules are pretty normal). There is a thriving music scene, plenty of festivals, and tons of stuff to do outdoors. It is ideally placed for staycations and the inexpensive short get-aways that can be rejuvenating and sustaining in residency. Compared to other great towns like Denver, Seattle and Sacramento, world class skiing is only 30 minutes away and there’s way less traffic (though people will still complain about it). Another difference is weed is not legal (though if that’s your thing I’m sure you could find it and no one would judge you). However, I think the area draws a similar group of transplants— young, active, athletic, people with lots of tattoos. Overall, I think most applicants that want to stay in the west would also be happy here.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I’m happy to answer them.

Kindly,
3Lefts

I haven’t seen very many recent write ups about psychiatry so I want to ask a question. I’m starting med school at the U this August and I’m going in with many interests. One of them is psychiatry. I realized I had an interest after studying psychology for the MCAT, but I worry that I don’t have enough background from undergrad and won’t receive enough psych in medical school to thrive in residency. How possible is it to go into psychiatry without having majored in psychology? I know rotations are where I will find whether it’s for me, but it feels like at that point I’d be over the hill as far as being able to do any real preparations to go into that residency?

Similarly, I ruled out CT surgery in the 10th grade as I hadn’t yet had enough OR time.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Similarly, I ruled out CT surgery in the 10th grade as I hadn’t yet had enough OR time.

Another uplifting SDN smartass. Great contribution... My question only applies, as I perceive it, to a pursuit in psychiatry. It seems that there is a lot of background classroom material that wouldn't be received in medical school that would be important (maybe necessary) to being successful in a psychiatry residency.

To ask a more simple question that is less prone to ridicule: Will a psychiatry residency provide all the necessary didactics beyond the psych 1010 required of pre-meds? I have a respect for psychology and I recognize that there are substantial foundations that could be expected of an incoming resident.

And yes, this is clearly a question out of curiousity. I'm not a naive student with my heart set on anything. I've actually lived a life prior to this and have been all over the world well before you started school. So go find some other pre-med to impress.

Honestly, I think you’re a troll. “How possible is it to do Psychiatry if you didn’t major in Psychology” is indeed incredibly naive and I can’t fathom someone asking that question seriously.
You’ve travelled the world but seem confused about the A. the role of medical school and B. the ACGME requirements for all residencies in regards to clinical experiences and didactics. Also I’d venture that nearly 80% of practicing psychiatrists didn’t take more than a couple Psychology classes in undergrad.

:lame:

Another uplifting SDN smartass. Great contribution... My question only applies, as I perceive it, to a pursuit in psychiatry. It seems that there is a lot of background classroom material that wouldn't be received in medical school that would be important (maybe necessary) to being successful in a psychiatry residency.

To ask a more simple question that is less prone to ridicule: Will a psychiatry residency provide all the necessary didactics beyond the psych 1010 required of pre-meds? I have a respect for psychology and I recognize that there are substantial foundations that could be expected of an incoming resident.

And yes, this is clearly a question out of curiousity. I'm not a naive student with my heart set on anything. I've actually lived a life prior to this and have been all over the world well before you started school. So go find some other pre-med to impress.

Since you are starting in the fall I would indeed classify you, by no fault of your own, as a "naive student." I think you'll realize in med school that you knew very little about all areas of medicine prior to med school. Similarly, you will discover that what you learn in med school is the tip of the iceberg and that while you know more, you still know very little. What will help you most to succeed in any field is empathy, a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and a desire and willingness to learn.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, I think you’re a troll. “How possible is it to do Psychiatry if you didn’t major in Psychology” is indeed incredibly naive and I can’t fathom someone asking that question seriously.
You’ve travelled the world but seem confused about the A. the role of medical school and B. the ACGME requirements for all residencies in regards to clinical experiences and didactics. Also I’d venture that nearly 80% of practicing psychiatrists didn’t take more than a couple Psychology classes in undergrad.

:lame:

Only your last sentence is helpful. There is no need for you to respond to anything else. You have nothing constructive to say.

Since you are starting in the fall I would indeed classify you, by no fault of your own, as a "naive student." I think you'll realize in med school that you knew very little about all areas of medicine prior to med school. Similarly, you will discover that what you learn in med school is the tip of the iceberg and that while you know more, you still know very little. What will help you most to succeed in any field is empathy, a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and a desire and willingness to learn.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I definitely understand that a med school graduate is still largely ignorant to most things medicine. I guess my question arises because, from what I understand, little about mental health/psychological issues are typically covered in medical school. So it seemed crazy to think that, if I did have an interest in psychiatry, I would somehow be prepared to enter a residency program with only psych 1010 under my belt. Again my ignorance comes from the fact that psychiatry is often talked about as the black sheep of medicine and it said that if you go that route than you will never use 80% of the knowledge acquired in med school. It just seemed like it was in its own little corner and doesn't follow the conventional means of preparation. I'm guessing I was wrong in my thinking, which settles the issue. This was a genuine post; thanks again.

I haven’t seen very many recent write ups about psychiatry so I want to ask a question. I’m starting med school at the U this August and I’m going in with many interests. One of them is psychiatry. I realized I had an interest after studying psychology for the MCAT, but I worry that I don’t have enough background from undergrad and won’t receive enough psych in medical school to thrive in residency. How possible is it to go into psychiatry without having majored in psychology? I know rotations are where I will find whether it’s for me, but it feels like at that point I’d be over the hill as far as being able to do any real preparations to go into that residency?
You mentioned thriving in residency, and there’s very little psychology that you would have to initially know to ‘thrive.’ The application of psychology becomes most relevant the more you dig down into the field and as you get more nuanced with experience. Your first couple years of residency are more about enough stamina for a doggie paddle and knowing how to hold your breath for extended periods so you don’t drown. It’s only later that you’ll need to understand the nuances of backstrokes and butterfly strokes.

There’s a lot of psychology in psychiatry when you get down to it, but it becomes more relevant with experience. It helps put things together, but if you don’t have the building blocks (experience), then it initially is just serving for mental masturbation.

Reactions: 4 users
Another thing to consider is that psychiatry can be viewed as different from medicine in a lot of ways, but we fail to see the same issues in other fields of medicine because it’s a huge blind spot. So, while it seems like you’d need this knowledge about psychology to go into psychiatry, there are a lot of things about [dermatology / radiology / anesthesiology / OBGYN / etc.] that are also very important to each of those fields that one learns eventually, but gets little, if any, exposure to in medical school. But, because we feel we’re sufficiently trained in medicine because we went to medical school, we magically assume that we know what these things are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing to consider is that psychiatry can be viewed as different from medicine in a lot of ways, but we fail to see the same issues in other fields of medicine because it’s a huge blind spot. So, while it seems like you’d need this knowledge about psychology to go into psychiatry, there are a lot of things about [dermatology / radiology / anesthesiology / OBGYN / etc.] that are also very important to each of those fields that one learns eventually, but gets little, if any, exposure to in medical school. But, because we feel we’re sufficiently trained in medicine because we went to medical school, we magically assume that we know what these things are.

That is great insight and makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking the time to write me back. I do quite a bit of casual reading so that I can understand a basic amount, however this is one issue that I have not been able to stumble across an answer for.

Glad to hear you enjoy the program and life in SLC. Can you comment on call in the other years. I know pgy2 is weekend coverage and pgy3 is weekday supervisory call, but how often are these (once a month vs once per week)? You say that you work weekday call 1.5 times per week from 5-8pm and that the hours average to 35-60 per week. How often and which rotations does it get closer to 60? Overall, I loved the program and people at Utah. I would just like the most accurate information before making my final decisions. Thanks!

Thanks Pink Freud for alerting me about the excitement on this thread.

Nontrad-

I was a psych major but most of my co-residents were not and I don’t think I have a meaningful advantage over them. They thrive because they are empathetic and work hard to make the most of the training experience. Undergrad psych classes don’t have a lot of clinical aspects like psychology grad programs do, so it’s not like I learned how to be a masterful psychotherapist (I wish!) or the Dr. House of dysfunction. If anything, I apply the liberal arts components of my education (such as my approach to inquiry and nuance) more often than the psychology factoids I’ve retained.

Pink Freud-

PGY2s rotate coverage of holidays and weekends, on average doing a call weekend once a month. On your call weekend, you either do “long call” (two 12 hour days, pretty much the same as “short call” where we cover two hospitals, so an unspoken rule that you can wait outside the hospital doing whatever non-intoxicating activity your heart desires if you are close by) or a weekend that consists of night float coverage (Saturday night) and UNI 2 (three full admits on a Friday evening and then you can go home.) You also do 6 full weeks night float at UNI as a PGY2, split into 2 or 3 week blocks. Nightfloat you cover the whole UNI hospital and it can be really really busy. I did a practice one at the end of my onservice months and didn’t sleep a wink. I think the consensus with PGY2s is that their call requirements sound scarier because weekends are awesome but actually feel a lot less burdensome than the PGY1 requirement of working on weeknights.

As for a breakdown of rotation hours, I think more important to your morale is the nature of the hours you put in. I was busy and felt useful and interested when I was in the hospital, with ancillary staff doing the vast majority of the boring stuff, and I wasn’t expected to be physically present if we were capped and my work was done or I was on call and there were no admits on the horizon. I felt like my time was honored and that I was able to see lots of interesting patients. Anyhoo, the actual hours you will work are pretty variable even within the same service (with the exception being the VA which is consistently the lightest month.) Sometimes you will get unlucky with multiple admits at the end of a shift (either on your day team or during the 5-8pm short call.) Your hours will also be attending-dependent and having a good sub-I also makes a difference.

I’m attaching my log from my on-service months, but keep in mind that it includes at least 5 holidays, 2 personal days and most of my 15 vacation days (they encourage you to use all vacation days while on service, so I just spread the days around, taking a few 3-4 day weekends and then the week of Christmas and New Years) so the AVERAGES WILL APPEAR FALSELY LOW. The log includes the hours where I was physically present at a hospital while on call, but not hours when I was at home waiting for a call. I would say I’m slower than average but don’t have any concrete evidence of that, so maybe it’s just my imposter syndrome speaking. I was on my VA month and took some vacation days in July. You can pretty much assume I took 4 day weekends on the weeks with values approaching 24 hours.

AC02FA8B-8DA1-4BAE-8EB9-505AC7B55C10.jpeg

I am approaching match ranking day and I came across this post. Have your feelings changed at all now that you've been through a few more years of residency? Are there any significant changes to the curriculum/schedule that would be concerning to you if you were going into it now like myself? Thanks for any help you provide.

I am also wondering about this. Good friend was a PMR resident (started 2017) and he was telling me some bad news about the psych program there (unhappy residents, malignant attendings).

Sorry, I did not see these newer posts until just now.

I am a PGY3 now. Overall I still feel very positively about the program. I have experienced the leadership as very responsive and felt they were protective of us during the early stages of the pandemic when we were still figuring out what was going on. They allowed one resident to do many many weeks of remote rotations during her inpatient year because she was pregnant and there were safety concerns with that and the virus; I am not aware of other programs in our hospital being flexible in that way. In outpatient, many of the rotations are still mostly remote. They also pulled us from in person learning to zoom didactics early in the process before there were a lot of cases in Utah. This has been a plus and a minus— full day didactics is more zoom than I’d ever want to do in another circumstances, and there are a couple of people who have been dominating some of the discussions more than they probably would have in person, which negatively impacts the learning environment. We are supposed to go back to in person didactics soon so that might be a moot point.

A difference between this program and some other psychiatry programs that I didn’t appreciate when making my rank list or even when I was intern was that our outpatient rotations are largely composed of elective rotations spread across different sites. While it was great learning to have a continuity outpatient clinic in a university system, PTSD and clozaril clinics at the VA, a “street medicine” ACT team rotation, a neurobehavioral rotation in another multidisciplinary setting, a mental health court rotation, etc. etc. It can also be somewhat overwhelming to learn all the systems at once while you are trying to nail down the basics. There were certainly moments this year when I was trying to learn 4 different EMRs where I wished I went to a program where most of the outpatient clinic experience is done in one place. That said, if you make the most of it it is a great that prepares you to work in a lot of environments. Of the places I interviewed, I think UCLA had a similar system. My resident continuity clinic supervision has been superb. I really do like my rotations. I think I average a 40 hour work week, maybe up to 50 hours some weeks because I am a pretty slow note writer.

Honestly, I am somewhat out of touch with the call responsibilities of the current and incoming interns since they have changed recently. The website should be mostly updated. Overall I feel that the responsibilities are similar or less because the program grew, but the nature of some of the shifts has changed. As a PGY3, I have a week of remote supervisory call every few months. As a PGY4 I will have no call.

With regards to the 2017 reputation, I think it might have been a holdover from when there was a turnover with the PD and before they non-renewed the malignant C-L attendings. When I was starting (2018) there were still PGY4s and a couple of PGY3s who had bad feelings about what went down. I think most of the residents are pretty happy— or as happy as we can be given the limitations on socializing with our peers we’ve been subject to for reasons outside of the program’s control for a full year now— at this point. I think there will always be some disgruntled residents but overall I feel much more cared for and protected than what I’ve heard about from my peers in other fields and even many other psychiatry programs.

Last edited:
Oh, and I should add that we get 20 days of vacation now plus university holidays while we are on service.

I was just reading a forum where several people interviewed here for psych, ranked it #1, got positive emails from the PD, and did not match. Just curious if you know if lots of people tend to rank the program first so the program typically doesn't have to dip too far into their list? Really hoping to match here in a month or so.

I heard a rumor 12 years ago I think they only dipped two additional spots to fill. Was it 4 residents per year and they filled with their 6th rank. SLC is a desirable location and I think cost of living historically was pretty reasonable compared to other large cities. And you’re right next to the mountains compared to Denver where the main hospital is a long way from the mountains. It makes sense a lot of people rank it high to match.

I was just reading a forum where several people interviewed here for psych, ranked it #1, got positive emails from the PD, and did not match. Just curious if you know if lots of people tend to rank the program first so the program typically doesn't have to dip too far into their list? Really hoping to match here in a month or so.
To be honest, I am not really sure. I don’t think we are at any kind of extreme but my impression is that we have been really happy with our match classes in recent years and I think the reputation of Salt Lake City for non-LDS young people has (rightly) continued to improve. I know it’s hard not to be anxious about the process and I wish you best of luck on your match, but please know you will most likely be happy at any of the programs on your list!