University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonEMous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally certified my ranklist (for now, at least) and decided to put UVA #1. Beneath it are some amazing programs (UNC, Highland, Carolinas, Christiana, Denver, Indiana, etc), but in the end I feel like Charlottesville is where I want to live. To be honest, UVA didn't give me the best "gut feel" of the group, nor is it as prestigious as many of the other programs on my list. However, the location is head and shoulders above the rest (at least for me).

Am I being naive in ordering my ranklist this way? Is anybody else out there considering UVA?

Members don't see this ad.

Am I being naive in ordering my ranklist this way? Is anybody else out there considering UVA?

I'm an MSI, but I did my undergrad at UVa. Charlottesville was a great place to live for 4 years (if you know, you could get past the lack of nice, affordable, close housing). Parking is a pain so housing location demands unusual premiums.

I miss biking, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and, you know, seeing trees (silly manhattan).

Best of luck!

P.S. I also worked in the ED there and loved Dr. Reiser and Dr. Martin. All of the residents seemed like quality people as well.

sounds to me like the place you really want to live is your "gut feel." if you like'em, want to be there, and think you'll be well educated you've chosen well. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
charlottesville is almost consistently in the top "places to live."

My brother went there for undergrad in the late 80s and early 90s and loved it. I've visited it there during my college days (to check out the ladies), and it really is a beautiful town, with lots of stuff to do and lots of natural beauty there. The education will be solid there as well. One of my fellow "new" attenings did her residency there and she's sharp as a tack.

Q

I finally certified my ranklist (for now, at least) and decided to put UVA #1. Beneath it are some amazing programs (UNC, Highland, Carolinas, Christiana, Denver, Indiana, etc), but in the end I feel like Charlottesville is where I want to live. To be honest, UVA didn't give me the best "gut feel" of the group, nor is it as prestigious as many of the other programs on my list. However, the location is head and shoulders above the rest (at least for me).

PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

Anyone have any recent thoughts on UVA's program? I'm on the fence about whether to interview there or not...it seems like a good program, but I don't hear it mentioned very often often here or anywhere.

thanks for any input!

I thought it was a great program when I interviewed there many moons ago. The town was just way too small for me. Put that program in a big city and it would have been very high up on my list.

i thought id rank UVA #1 b4 interviewing there. just didn't feel it after the interview. i got a letter of interest from them, not even a generic one, so i don't think i interviewed poorly. charl. is beautiful, totally love the idea of living there, but pretty $$ and honestly, just didn't seem like residents were that happy. i honestly wanted to love the program. i would absolutely interview there. they do see trauma, just not tons. also have super advanced cardiac stuff going on there (like 24 lead ekgs or something). location is important to me too, but you gotta get a good feel for the people as well. maybe it was just too academic?