University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruin0289

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this school yet. Is anyone else applying here? Working on the supplemental essay right now. Anyone else think it's super general? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to UW this year too. I still haven't started on the supplemental yet. I plan on just focusing on one or two experiences.

I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago. It took me a long time to finish the essay because it was a rather open-ended question. However, I think it turned out great because it gave me an opportunity to mention specific experiences that make me unique, which I hear is what they are looking for. Crossing my fingers and waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I send an email to the school on coursework evaluation, which will take weeks, Does anyone know whether my 3 credit Biochemistry course fulfills the Biochem requirement?

Also, does my Statistics for Biological Sciences fulfill the Stat requirement?

Thanks

Before I send an email to the school on coursework evaluation, which will take weeks, Does anyone know whether my 3 credit Biochemistry course fulfills the Biochem requirement?

Thanks

Just e-mail the school. No one but the admissions department knows what UWSOP accepts for biochem and statistics requirements! Tell them whether it was a semester or quarter class and how many units.

I really doubt it will take weeks, although you might not have a response until after Thanksgiving. They were always good about getting back to me quickly when I applied.

Thanks

E-mail the school to be sure, but did you check the equivalents for in-state and out-of-state schools on the UW website?
Here's the link to the In-State:
http://sop.washington.edu/school-of-pharmacy/pharmd-admissions/in-state-schools.html
and the link to the Out-of-State:
http://sop.washington.edu/school-of-pharmacy/pharmd-admissions/out-of-state-schools.html

There are only select out-of-state schools with equivalencies, but your school might be on there. I believe if your course is listed on there it should fulfill the requirement. I e-mailed them to ask if my 4.0 quarter unit Psych Stats class fulfilled the Stats requirement(because it was on the pre-requisite list for my school), and they said that it did even though it technically states that you need a 5.0 quarter unit Stats class.

Hope that helps! :)

I asked them about 6 months ago if my 3.0 credit Biochem would work and they said I had to take another semester :scared:

Hopefully it works out better for you

Just wanted to wish you all good luck on your applications. I'll try to help out as much as I can with any questions you guys might have.

Just wanted to wish you all good luck on your applications. I'll try to help out as much as I can with any questions you guys might have.

Hi Xantoril,
is it easy to gain an in-state residency in Washington?

Hey Xantoril, do you know when they start sending emails/calling people for interviews? I know interviews start in late january, but I'm not sure when they start notifying pre-pharm students. thanks! :)

I am applying here. They are already considering my application for an interview. I can help with some questions, but I do recommend calling the school over email. It will be faster and you can get all your questions answered.

Hi Xantoril,
is it easy to gain an in-state residency in Washington?
It's not easy to get in-state residency, but there is a graduate waiver to get in-state tuition after the first year. I haven't gotten it myself, but I heard it isn't that difficult to get the waiver. Here's some more info:

http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/graduateProfessional.html

Hey Xantoril, do you know when they start sending emails/calling people for interviews? I know interviews start in late january, but I'm not sure when they start notifying pre-pharm students. thanks! :)

I don't know exactly when they start contacting people for interviews. From what I gathered, they contact people about a week and a half before the interview, so my best guess would be around mid Jan.

I submitted my app yesterday. I gotta say that the application was a little tedious but I am optimistic for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview to UW today via email!!
handed in my supp on the Mon after christmas!!

interview is set 24-31st!

Got mine today as well. I'm excited for a break from school to visit beautiful Seattle! My email said the same dates.

Me too!!! Is it better to interview sooner?

i turned my app in the day it was due haha whoops. i hope i get an interview haha

Yayy! I got an invitation email for interview between Jan 24-31! I submitted my apps on August 20th.

Congrats everyone! And for those who did not receive an interview yet, don't worry. I didn't get my interview until March last year. So there is still plenty of time.

So has anyone actually received a call yet? Or just an email saying that they will get a call by the end of the week?

just got a call this afternoon to schedule my interview!
January's no good for me so I scheduled mine for Feb. 15. Looks like I'll be spending Valentine's Day on a plane. :p

I completed my application a few days before new years and got a call a few days ago for an interview.

hey how are you guys preparing for the interview?

Me too! My interview is in the morning, what about you? My birthday is the 16th so I'm really glad it will be over with!! :)

Mine's in the afternoon. (Not too much of a morning person) :) My birthday's on the 22nd, and UW is my last interview, so I'll finally be able to relax and REALLY celebrate. :D

I got an interview invite for February 15th! For those that have interviewed, how was it? Any advice?

I got an interview invite for February 15th! For those that have interviewed, how was it? Any advice?

the interview went very smoothly. there are 3 interviewers and each go around asking questions throughout the 45 min interview. just know your personal statements WELL. Good Luck! they said they will let me know my status in 2-3 weeks after interview day (which was 1/24/11 for me) :)

the interview went very smoothly. there are 3 interviewers and each go around asking questions throughout the 45 min interview. just know your personal statements WELL. Good Luck! they said they will let me know my status in 2-3 weeks after interview day (which was 1/24/11 for me) :)

Thanks. Interview is a little under 2 weeks. I could hardly wait!

any challenging interview questions asked?

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the roll call for 2014/2015. Please post in the sticky thread or PM me your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).:)

just wondering, for those who got interviewed already, were you asked about the healthcare law and stuff like that?

Hello all,

I just got my acceptance letter to UDub today via email. I hope you guys will all be get yours shortly. Best of luck to all. I honestly was expecting to get rejected because I didn't feel like I did very well on the interviews. I blanked on a question and I think I offended one of the interviewers. But I'm relieved.

No questions of health care law for me, but lots of situational questions. I felt that they purposely tried to rattle me just to see how I would react and how I would recover.

Hello all,

I just got my acceptance letter to UDub today via email. I hope you guys will all be get yours shortly. Best of luck to all. I honestly was expecting to get rejected because I didn't feel like I did very well on the interviews. I blanked on a question and I think I offended one of the interviewers. But I'm relieved.

No questions of health care law for me, but lots of situational questions. I felt that they purposely tried to rattle me just to see how I would react and how I would recover.

Hey! Congrats! Were you on the 1/24/11 interview?? Will you be attending UW?

Got mine today too. Was pleasantly surprised when I checked my email! Thought it was going to be a phone call for some reason.

Hello all,

thanks for giving us your take on the UW's interview process! I have my interview on march 1st. i'm so stoked but nervous b/c UW's my #1 choice.

congrats on getting accepted gsw650 & spartikuss!

Hey! Congrats! Were you on the 1/24/11 interview?? Will you be attending UW?

Thanks, I actually had mine on the 25th. I really liked the campus aesthetics, diversity, strong academics and the fact that it was connected with the medical center and UW is synonymous with outstanding patient care. Since I plan on going into clinical pharmacy, UW is certainly attractive and in my top 3. Being a native Californian, I will await my results on USC and UCSD. If USC and UCSD are not in my future plans then I will call Seattle home for the next 4+ years.

To elaborate on the interview, you'll be interviewed by 3 people (neither of which are students, most likely pharmacists affiliated with UW or practicing pharmacists). They don't have set questions, rather I think they'll just base everything off your response. Everything in your file is fair game. One of the students I was talking with was questioned on her PCAT scores and why her reading comprehension was so low. So, just be prepared to talk about what you wrote and elaborate on your answers.

Thanks, I actually had mine on the 25th. I really liked the campus aesthetics, diversity, strong academics and the fact that it was connected with the medical center and UW is synonymous with outstanding patient care. Since I plan on going into clinical pharmacy, UW is certainly attractive and in my top 3. Being a native Californian, I will await my results on USC and UCSD. If USC and UCSD are not in my future plans then I will call Seattle home for the next 4+ years.

To elaborate on the interview, you'll be interviewed by 3 people (neither of which are students, most likely pharmacists affiliated with UW or practicing pharmacists). They don't have set questions, rather I think they'll just base everything off your response. Everything in your file is fair game. One of the students I was talking with was questioned on her PCAT scores and why her reading comprehension was so low. So, just be prepared to talk about what you wrote and elaborate on your answers.

Good luck! If you end up going to UW, I'll see you Fall 2011! :D

Just got accepted too!! Congrats to you all!

Congrats to the people who have been accepted so far! And good luck to the rest! :)

Here is the new UWSOP 2015 Facebook Group! :)

Just search:

University of Washington School of Pharmacy c/o 2015

Hi All!!

I have an interview with UW too and am wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what I can focus on to prep for the interview (for those who already had their interview). I've gone over my apps and essays, but not sure what else I should do? Do they ask you any specific questions about what's going on in the pharmacy world? I'm just a little nervous, but nonetheless excited! :eek: UW is my first choice!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! :)

The interview I had was pretty chill. They mostly asked me stuff about my personal statement and past experiences. They did ask some pharmacy-world related questions and a couple situational questions that weren't too bad. I know its probably impossible to do, but I wouldn't stress over it. Just know about some issues in pharmacy and you'll do fine. Good luck!

My interview was very relaxed. Asked me to share a lot of personal stories. Not a whole lot on pharmacy experience or education. No essay this year either, which was nice :)

from what i read on previous years washington applicant threads, this years interview schedules seem to be structured differently than previous years. I guess they heard about people's complaints on how the interview visit seemed impersonal, how those invited never got to have a tour of the health sciences campus or meet with current pharmacy students, all things they seem to be offering this year. I thought it was nice to hear that UW took the feedback from applicants and changed the way they interviewed candidates.

the structure of the interview itself seems to remain the same (when comparing it to what everyone has been saying who interviewed this year). the interviewers seem to ask applicants questions pertaining to their PharmCAS & supplemental application in addition to some situational questions.

knowing all this...still feeling nervous about my interview in a few weeks!

My interview was very relaxed. Asked me to share a lot of personal stories. Not a whole lot on pharmacy experience or education. No essay this year either, which was nice :)

what do you mean no essay this year? as in, there wasn't an on-site essay before the interview?

what do you mean no essay this year? as in, there wasn't an on-site essay before the interview?

in previous years they used to hold on-site written exams before the oral interview portion but this year they decided remove the written portion of the interview. they specifically stated in their email invite AND when i spoke with them over the phone that the essay exam was no longer being implemented

in previous years they used to hold on-site written exams before the oral interview portion but this year they decided remove the written portion of the interview. they specifically stated in their email invite AND when i spoke with them over the phone that the essay exam was no longer being implemented

nice! less to worry about! haha

since i know there were interviews on tuesday feb 15th, anyone who went that day or even to previous interview remember the names of their interviewers?

For anyone who's been accepted already-How long did you wait after your interview to receive your acceptance letter? They said I could call if I have another school pressuring me for a commitment, but I was already accepted somewhere else before my UW interview. How long should I wait after my interview before I call?

I got my acceptance letter/e-mail about 12 days after my interview. I remember them saying that you could either e-mail or call 2-3 weeks after your interview to check your status. Good luck!

I got my acceptance notification about 2 weeks after I interviewed.