university of washington fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else got accepted? Did you guys call to find out?

I applied but haven't got an interview invite yet :(. Congrats Spock87!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else got accepted? Did you guys call to find out?

I applied but haven't got an interview invite yet :(. Congrats Spock87!

that makes two of us! :scared:
when did you turn your application and got the confirmation letter from school that they are reviewing your application?
I turned my application on 11/30 and got the email on 1/22.
and since then,, NOTHING!
I was thinking of calling them to check the status of my application,
but is it ok to do that? :confused:

that makes two of us! :scared:
when did you turn your application and got the confirmation letter from school that they are reviewing your application?
I turned my application on 11/30 and got the email on 1/22.
and since then,, NOTHING!
I was thinking of calling them to check the status of my application,
but is it ok to do that? :confused:

I turned in my app 11/2 and got that email 1/20

I think I'll call them to ask about it :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I turned in my app 11/2 and got that email 1/20

I think I'll call them to ask about it :rolleyes:

wow, what took them so long to send you the confirmation email?
yeah, I'll probably call them next week to see what happen.
let me know what they say~

by the way, is it your first time applying to UWSOP?
for me, it is second time. I applied last year, and got an interview offer, but then... :thumbdown:
Hope we both get interview offer soon!! :xf:

From what I've heard, both from reading last year's posts and stuff from UW, interviews don't even start until late January. They also go until late April. So, you may still get an interview, even if they haven't yet called you.

rjblja, when did you get your interview last year?

Does anyone know how many people they interview this year?

Spock87, you get in so early! I'm so jealous! :p Do you mind sharing your stat? Thanks!

Does anyone know how many people they interview this year?

Spock87, you get in so early! I'm so jealous! :p Do you mind sharing your stat? Thanks!

My stats:

GPA: 3.58. Science 3.51. PCAT comp:87

omg I think I bombed it :(

There were 2 guys and 1 girl for mine (but 3 guys for the 2 people before me). Micki wasn't there either.

They were grilling really hard on me on ethical questions, making me think that I got the wrong answer. *cries*

Overall there weren't many questions, but we spend a lot of time on 2 ethical questions.

omg I think I bombed it :(

There were 2 guys and 1 girl for mine (but 3 guys for the 2 people before me). Micki wasn't there either.

They were grilling really hard on me on ethical questions, making me think that I got the wrong answer. *cries*

Overall there weren't many questions, but we spend a lot of time on 2 ethical questions.

What were those ethical questions? Just curious....

They asked me couple ethical questions last year and this year as well. One interviewer just kept asking me to explain my answer! :rolleyes:

What were those ethical questions? Just curious....

They asked me couple ethical questions last year and this year as well. One interviewer just kept asking me to explain my answer! :rolleyes:

the first one is fairly straight forward. A patient came in with meds for her kids, but the dosage is deadly. Called the doctor, but doctor refused to budge, what do you do?

I said I would not dispense it at that amount. But he just pushing for an answer something different i guess? So I ended up saying if its the best for the child, then I would dispense under different instructions, such as taking a smaller amount.

We got to talking about octo-mom and I was asked if she brought her fertility drug to me, and I knew her conditions and situation etc, would I give her the drugs?

I said no and they keep asking me if I have a right for personal opinions in pharmacy and what gives me the right.

So both times I'm like, uhhhhh... did I say the wrong thing??? or would they grill me either way?

the first one is fairly straight forward. A patient came in with meds for her kids, but the dosage is deadly. Called the doctor, but doctor refused to budge, what do you do?

I said I would not dispense it at that amount. But he just pushing for an answer something different i guess? So I ended up saying if its the best for the child, then I would dispense under different instructions, such as taking a smaller amount.

We got to talking about octo-mom and I was asked if she brought her fertility drug to me, and I knew her conditions and situation etc, would I give her the drugs?

I said no and they keep asking me if I have a right for personal opinions in pharmacy and what gives me the right.

So both times I'm like, uhhhhh... did I say the wrong thing??? or would they grill me either way?

They did the same thing to me. I think they just tried to get more out of your answers. My initial answers were fairly short, 2-3 sentences so I guess they wanted to understand what I really meant.

They did the same thing to me. I think they just tried to get more out of your answers. My initial answers were fairly short, 2-3 sentences so I guess they wanted to understand what I really meant.

I don't know... I had a very bad feeling abour the octo mom question. Because one of the interviewers was asking what gives me the right to judge her, kind of like pharmacists refusing to dispense Plan B. Sigh... and i'm pro Plan B. So I guess they thought I was a hypocrite??? omg......

I'm waiting for my rejection letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh god.... *cries*

I spoke with a pharmacist today... and she's pretty sure I answered some of my questions wrong.

I think the interviewers were really trying to break you down, to see if you stand by your answer until the end. And I was broken :( I feel bullied....

Last edited:
oh god.... *cries*

I spoke with a pharmacist today... and she's pretty sure I answered some of my questions wrong.

I think the interviewers were really trying to break you down, to see if you stand by your answer until the end. And I was broken :( I feel bullied....

How did you feel about other questions? You think you answered them alright?

The pharmacist that I spoke with today was pretty hesitant about this answer. She doesn't think I should go against what a doctor says. But the thing is, I really did say I will not dispense it at the beginning, but the interviewers keep asking, well what if the kid really needed it right then?? and it was saturday night? and the doctor's attitude is "I prescribe, you fill." omg, they were really pushy in the "this med is crucial, and the kid really needs it so you better find some way to give this med to this kid without harming them."
ahhh... if I stood by my answers in the beginning, it makes me look like I want to do nothing to help the kid. I am going crazy now.

How did you feel about other questions? You think you answered them alright?
Other answers I think I answered them pretty well. I could tell that they didnt expect me to answer certain questions the way I did, in a good suprised way I hope lol.

I don't think I should've brought up Octo-mom... now that I think of it, it dug me into a pretty big hole. They wanted some current health care issues and I didn't want to bring up the usual (obesity, birth control, etc). I thought I would try something new and current. sigh...

I swear, I got the hard ethical questions because I worked 2 years retail. Why couldn't I have gotten the basics such as patient can't afford meds or they are out of refills or we are out of certain drugs.

Hmm...one of the ethical questions they asked me this year was "what would you do if the doctor prescribed antibiotics, but you think the patient just had a cold?"

I said I would talk to the doctor and give the patient some OTCs first.

Hmm...one of the ethical questions they asked me this year was "what would you do if the doctor prescribed antibiotics, but you think the patient just had a cold?"

I said I would talk to the doctor and give the patient some OTCs first.

did they then ask you what if the doctor refused to listen to you and told you to fill it anyways? in your question, even if the patient took the antibiotics, it wouldn't be toxic, just might not do much for the cold.

I didn't apply to any other schools, do you think they would still tell me over the phone in a few weeks? Waiting until the end of april or early may for a rejection is just too painful.:(

did they then ask you what if the doctor refused to listen to you and told you to fill it anyways? in your question, even if the patient took the antibiotics, it wouldn't be toxic, just might not do much for the cold.

I didn't apply to any other schools, do you think they would still tell me over the phone in a few weeks? Waiting until the end of april or early may for a rejection is just too painful.:(

I brought up the topic of MRSA, and they asked me a TON of questions about it! hat ethical question was the last one on this topic. They didn't ask me to elaborate my answer. They just moved to other topics. I think they were exhausted with MRSA ...lol

I would call and ask them in a few weeks. I think they should be able to tell you about your status. Don't lose hope yet. If you answered other questions pretty well, you still have a good chance. UW doesn't interview people by the order of the applications they received. If you have an early interview, you're a pretty strong applicant. They will look at your application again as a whole to make their decision. Hang in there!

I brought up the topic of MRSA, and they asked me a TON of questions about it! hat ethical question was the last one on this topic. They didn't ask me to elaborate my answer. They just moved to other topics. I think they were exhausted with MRSA ...lol

I would call and ask them in a few weeks. I think they should be able to tell you about your status. Don't lose hope yet. If you answered other questions pretty well, you still have a good chance. UW doesn't interview people by the order of the applications they received. If you have an early interview, you're a pretty strong applicant. They will look at your application again as a whole to make their decision. Hang in there!

Really? I sure hope that they don't interview by the turn in date, but from what I've heard in general, people that were interviewed did turn in about the same time as me.

You know what, I was gonna bring up MRSA too!! haha, I even printed an article I found online about MRSA infections in ICU have decreased by 50% in since 2001. But I chose not to use it at the end of the day because I though it might be too specific.

BTW to the out of state applicants, one of the girls that interviewed me with that day was not from washington. She was a really strong applicant though, accepted to all the schools that she's applied so far.

Last edited:
Hey all, I have been checking this thread since it started,

My info:

Washington resident
PharmCAS sent at 12/31
status email received on 01/27
evaluating application email received on 02/03
called me for interview, and interview confirmation email received on 02/05
interviewed on Wednesday 02/11 (I hope they like me)

PharmCAS cum GPA: 3.78
PharmCAS science GPA: 3.90

All classes at a CC

PCAT:
VA: 69
Bio: 91
RC: 52
QA: 34 (I'm really good at math, this was a really bad math day)
Chem: 76
Comp: 71

I'm a CPhT, been a tech for over five years, I volunteer at a free clinic too

I don't think UW liked my writing sample; writing samples are my weak area

Got an invite for an interview next week! Yay! Finally! I guess I won't find out if I get accepted or not until May :rolleyes:

I got the acceptance email today! Now it's official!! :hardy::soexcited:

Last edited:
I got an e-mail that I'm accepted as well. So I guess we'll be meeting in person soon, Spock87. Anyone else hear back yet?

I got an e-mail that I'm accepted as well. So I guess we'll be meeting in person soon, Spock87. Anyone else hear back yet?

Yay! See you at the orientation! :D

I didn't get an email and I'm really worried...

So I called admissions, and I guess Micki is supposed to call me back...

That was over an hour ago... I think I might be doomed.

congrats you two!!

I am seriuosly contemplating whether I should call or not in a few weeks.

congrats you two!!

I am seriuosly contemplating whether I should call or not in a few weeks.

What the heck! Just give them a call...lol. Your interview was close to the day they sent out the first batch of acceptance emails so they might not have reviewed your application yet. Call them...some answers are still better than sitting at home wondering :confused:

Last edited:
Congradulations to those whom have been accepted!

I plan on giving them a call in a couple weeks as well.

Oh btw, for those who are interviewing without any pharmacy experience, I was asked a lot of questions in regards to pharmacy and nothing was asked from my supplemental essays. They really want to make sure that being a pharmacist is what you want to do and also that you can think like a pharmacist.

What the heck! Just give them a call...lol. Your interview was close to the day they sent out the first batch of acceptance emails so they might not have reviewed your application yet. Call them...some answers are still better than sitting at home wondering :confused:

thanks! I know, sitting on my butt waiting for an answer is the worst feeling ever lol.

I wish I would be able to know before spring break lol. I don't want to attend spring quarter if I get in!! I need a break from school.

thanks! I know, sitting on my butt waiting for an answer is the worst feeling ever lol.

I wish I would be able to know before spring break lol. I don't want to attend spring quarter if I get in!! I need a break from school.

So applejuju, does that mean you won't get your BS or BA degree if you get into pharmacy school for Fall 2009?

(Continuation of above post) Or are you a junior, and therefore wouldn't have gotten a degree anyway? Forgive my question; I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just curious if you are one of those who apply to pharmacy school not planning on getting your degree. (Coming out of a grad program, it seems so weird in pharmacy that you can get in after only fulfilling pre-reqs!)

As far as I know, for UW you don't need a BS/BA to get in. All you have to do is to complete the pre-req. I will earn my BS this June. Since I already finished all the pre-req, I'm so tempting to skip this Srping. URGRG I need a break too!! (Summer doesn't count...lol) :laugh:

Spockk87, if I were you, I'd go ahead and finish, since you're so close. I know it doesn't matter for pharmacy school, but it's always nice to get your degree (you may decide to do something down the road that requires a BS or BA... probably not, but it's good to be prepared). I just took the summer off between undergrad and grad school, and really, it was enough of a break. Although I did take kind of an easy spring quarter, taking fun classes and not worrying as much over grades.

One thing both you and applejuju might want to check is if your acceptance is dependent on you finishing spring quarter. Probably not, but I know in certain grad programs, this is the case. I've even heard of cases where they rescind admission if your grades slip.

Spockk87, if I were you, I'd go ahead and finish, since you're so close. I know it doesn't matter for pharmacy school, but it's always nice to get your degree (you may decide to do something down the road that requires a BS or BA... probably not, but it's good to be prepared). I just took the summer off between undergrad and grad school, and really, it was enough of a break. Although I did take kind of an easy spring quarter, taking fun classes and not worrying as much over grades.

One thing both you and applejuju might want to check is if your acceptance is dependent on you finishing spring quarter. Probably not, but I know in certain grad programs, this is the case. I've even heard of cases where they rescind admission if your grades slip.

Yeah I'll finish it up. Somewhere down the road, an employer found out that I dropped out the last quarter and didn't get the BS because I'm lazy. That wouldn't look good...lol. :smuggrin:

Yeah I'll finish it up. Somewhere down the road, an employer found out that I dropped out the last quarter and didn't get the BS because I'm lazy. That wouldn't look good...lol. :smuggrin:

But seriously, do plan to have fun your last quarter. Take a class through the experimental college (the pharmacy students that took me on the tour told me they didn't have time to do that while they're in school, and I think they're probably right!). My last spring quarter was seriously the best of my entire undergrad. A lot of it was relief after getting into grad school. But the fun classes and hanging out with friends helped!

(Continuation of above post) Or are you a junior, and therefore wouldn't have gotten a degree anyway? Forgive my question; I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just curious if you are one of those who apply to pharmacy school not planning on getting your degree. (Coming out of a grad program, it seems so weird in pharmacy that you can get in after only fulfilling pre-reqs!)

I'm a junior, and I'm completing my last pre req this quarter. So yeah, I wouldn't have gotten the degree anyways.

If I was a senior though, I would've def finished!

What grad school program are you in FarscapeGirl? Will you be done with that program before you start your PharmD program?

I'm in a PhD program in molecular/cellular biology. I'm in my sixth year, and I'm hoping to be done by June, with that PhD in hand, ready to go on to the PharmD program. Whether I finish kind of depends on whether my committee thinks I should graduate and how my experiments go... still, my adviser thinks it's probable.

Wow, that is very impressive. Congrats on getting into pharmacy school AND almost finishing your PhD. Are you in the PhD program at UW as well?

Thanks. I am in the PhD program at UW as well. A small part of me would like to be done with school, but I really think pharmacy is a very good fit for me and therefore worth four more years of school.

congrats to those who got accepted!!:claps:

so this tuesday, I gave them a call to check my current status of my application.
and they told me that it is still in the process of review!

I'm not sure whether they are just saying it even though it is already rejected bc it is too soon to send the rejection letter, or they are actually still reviewing my application.

does anyone know whether the school will let you know early that you r rejected if you give them a call? or do I still have my hope?

What happened at your first interview? Good luck when you get an interview. What are you stats?

my stats aren't that good... :(
my current GPA(cumulative) is around 3.25 and my science GPA is little above 3.1.
my highest pcat score is 84,
have 2 years of pharmacy assistant experience.

and I had my interview on early April last year.
I guess for the last year, they called me for an interview bc my GPA was significantly improving thru my junior year.

I really want to get in this year!!! and I think I have improved a lot since last year in terms of GPA and my passion and motivation of becoming a pharmacist! I really hope that UWSOP can also see that!! :oops:

does anyone know whether the school will let you know early that you r rejected if you give them a call? or do I still have my hope?

I called; I was rejected, and they can't say why until this summer once all letters are sent... It was probably my writing sample. Hopefully I'll do better next year... :cry:

Congratulations to those that were accepted, and good luck to those still waiting. :thumbup:

I called; I was rejected, and they can't say why until this summer once all letters are sent... It was probably my writing sample. Hopefully I'll do better next year... :cry:

Congratulations to those that were accepted, and good luck to those still waiting. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear that. Did you apply anywhere else?

I just checked your stats posted below. Your grades are very impressive; have you thought about re-taking the PCAT, since you had the bad math day? I didn't do that hot on the math part the first time I took it, especially compared to the rest of the sections and my math grades. I re-took it and did much better. In fact, I also improved in the chemistry section and I think verbal as well. A higher PCAT couldn't hurt...

Sooo...what did all you ask them when you called the pharm school? My friend just got accepted to UW yesterday via email. And now...I'm curious to see if I got in or not.

Sooo...what did all you ask them when you called the pharm school? My friend just got accepted to UW yesterday via email. And now...I'm curious to see if I got in or not.

Tell them you had an interview on "date" and you just wonder what your status is