University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsc2104

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for all of you who got accepted to UW in the past. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I have a decent chance of getting in...UW has always been my dream school, and just wanted to know whether or not my dream is likely to come true.

I took my DATs recently and got 23/23/18 (TS/AA/PAT).
My GPA is a bit low (not too sure but between 3.15 and 3.2).
I applied a bit late (8/24/05).
I love research (past experience at the Massachusettes General Hospital and currently researching at Columbia University), but no publication.
I will graduate with a physics degree and a biomedical engineering degree from Columbia University.

Please share your thoughts with me.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hsc2104 said:
This is for all of you who got accepted to UW in the past. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I have a decent chance of getting in...UW has always been my dream school, and just wanted to know whether or not my dream is likely to come true.

I took my DATs recently and got 23/23/18 (TS/AA/PAT).
My GPA is a bit low (not too sure but between 3.15 and 3.2).
I applied a bit late (8/24/05).
I love research (past experience at the Massachusettes General Hospital and currently researching at Columbia University), but no publication.
I will graduate with a physics degree and a biomedical engineering degree from Columbia University.

Please share your thoughts with me.

Thank you!

First question they'll ask--are you a resident? If not, you may be a (very) long shot. Where else are you looking at?

They will probably ask why the disparity between your great DAT scores and lower GPA? What about work experience, teaching experience, travel, volunteer work, and familiarity with the dental field? Your GPA is not very competitive, so you will need to be outstanding with other aspects. (Your DAT helps). Again, they do prefer residents of Washington or states in the WICHE program. (Like most state schools prefer their own residents.)

When I was accepted last year, I know that they appreared very interested in my extensive volunteering experience during my interview. I didn't feel my stats were that great compared the people they select, especially from out-of-state. I think 2 contributing factors that helped me get selected were: WICHE student and volunteer experience.
Hope this helps.