Living in Washington DC as a Dental Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drew.carey20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to reach out to hear some opinions on the cost of living in the Washington D.C. area? What can I expect to pay for rent? Commute? etc.

Ideally, I'd want an apartment by myself or 1 other person. Maybe in the 1.5 to 2K price range in rent. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Drew

Members don't see this ad.

It's cheaper if you find an apartment in one of the safe suburbs in Maryland or VA, but realize even if you are geographically 15 min away by car during rush hour that will you 1.5-2 hours to drive guaranteed. So in that case you would want to use the metro (kind of expensive), or you'd want to commute early in the morning and at night (after 7:30 pm ideally) Monday- Friday.

I went to George Washington for my undergrad. For the price point you are wanting, you’re better off commuting into the city. I purposefully lived on the metro line and it only took me 20min to get from my station to the school. Also, if you commute in within a reasonable distance, like mine your best bet is finding a roomie. DC is expensive and in my opinion not worth it because you’re not going to get the space or amenities unless you are shelling out double your target price point. I’m only familiar with Northern VA areas. I suggest looking into Rosslyn, Crystal City, Courthouse, or Pentagon City.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk