University of Washington

Started by ribbit541
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ribbit541

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curious if anyone knows the general competitiveness of UW medical center PGY1 residencies? They have a great PGY2 program I am interested in and I am thinking if I am in the "system" for my 1st year then that only helps for the year 2 program (or is this untrue?). I am coming from an average school out of state if it makes any difference. Thanks!
 
Curious if anyone knows the general competitiveness of UW medical center PGY1 residencies? They have a great PGY2 program I am interested in and I am thinking if I am in the "system" for my 1st year then that only helps for the year 2 program (or is this untrue?). I am coming from an average school out of state if it makes any difference. Thanks!

This maybe should have been posted in the residency forum, but I'm sure a mod'll move it... 🙂

I interviewed at UW for their PGY-1, and I was also from out-of-state. From what one of the residents told me during the interview, this past cycle they had 120 applications and interviewed 45 for 7 spots. And typically, places that have PGY-2 positions will have an early committment that is offered to just their current PGY-1s (for the number of PGY-2 spots offered), and if that is unfulfilled, then the positions open up for interviewing to those outside the residency for match.

Hope this helps. 🙂