University of Wisconsin-Madison Class of 2014!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJC1224

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if a thread has been started, but here we go! If anyone is out there with an acceptance, let me know to get some things figured out early! (Really early, actually. So, I can handle waiting until after the holidays I guess) :)

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know gunner was spelled with an R

Why would starting this thread mean someone is a gunner? I am super excited too! Go UW!!! Any ideas on where med students live? I wish school started next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I never actually understood the whole "gunner" thing posted above. Care to explain? lol As for school, count me in! I am so pumped for it to start....Too bad we have to wait until mid-late August....oh well, it'll be well worth it. Buffy, what other choices are you considering right now?

Accepted to Toledo but not really considering it. Waiting to hear back from Minnesota interview, but it is expensive so I wouldn't go there unless they gave me a big scholarship. Also waiting to hear back from CCLCM interview which I will go to if accepted, but that is kind of a long shot. I was put on hold at my favorite school Case Western, but have decided not to persue it with letters and stuff because it is so expensive and not that much better than UW. Are you considering any other schools?

I have been out of school for two years now so I am just itching to start again. I am a loser and really like studying... :cool:

CCLCM is a great school as well..yeah you'll have a tough choice for sure if you get accepted there. As for Minnesota, I actually did my undergrad there. It's a great school, and the campus is beautiful. As for the expense, UW is pretty hard to beat, especially considering not only the tuition, but the average student debt. I think it's somewhere around $130,000...there are only a handful (literally) of schools that have an average student debt of below 100K after graduation. Also, there are plenty of schools (especially DO schools for some reason) that average well over 200K. I am a WI resident, so it will work out okay in the end for me. The only other school I am considering is Michigan, but I am more than happy with UW. It has always been my dream school.

ps..I guess I am a loser too, because I can't wait to start studying my ass off for the next...well rest of my life lol! :)

CCLCM is a great school as well..yeah you'll have a tough choice for sure if you get accepted there. As for Minnesota, I actually did my undergrad there. It's a great school, and the campus is beautiful. As for the expense, UW is pretty hard to beat, especially considering not only the tuition, but the average student debt. I think it's somewhere around $130,000...there are only a handful (literally) of schools that have an average student debt of below 100K after graduation. Also, there are plenty of schools (especially DO schools for some reason) that average well over 200K. I am a WI resident, so it will work out okay in the end for me. The only other school I am considering is Michigan, but I am more than happy with UW. It has always been my dream school.

ps..I guess I am a loser too, because I can't wait to start studying my ass off for the next...well rest of my life lol! :)

So we had the same interview day right? which side of the room did you sit on? It seemed as if everyone at the interview was from Wisconsin. Were you in on the snowmobile conversation?

Erg I am trying to figure out what to do with housing. I moved here (Madison) and started a job in March of last year so am on a March to March lease which is not compatible with the campus Aug-Aug. I am considering doing a 6 mo, but most of the places that will let me do that are in shady areas. I am also considering purchasing a super cheap condo but that is farther from school. Also I don't really want to do either of these because I am still waiting to hear back from CCLCM, but don't want to wait either because the longer I wait, the less selection I will have!

Do you still live in Minneapolis? I really liked the city and my best friend lives out there. I am actually going to visit her this weekend. Mall of America here I come! :D

So we had the same interview day right? which side of the room did you sit on? It seemed as if everyone at the interview was from Wisconsin. Were you in on the snowmobile conversation?

Erg I am trying to figure out what to do with housing. I moved here (Madison) and started a job in March of last year so am on a March to March lease which is not compatible with the campus Aug-Aug. I am considering doing a 6 mo, but most of the places that will let me do that are in shady areas. I am also considering purchasing a super cheap condo but that is farther from school. Also I don't really want to do either of these because I am still waiting to hear back from CCLCM, but don't want to wait either because the longer I wait, the less selection I will have!

Do you still live in Minneapolis? I really liked the city and my best friend lives out there. I am actually going to visit her this weekend. Mall of America here I come! :D
Lets see...I sat at the far end of the room, the second table closest to the window. I was on the corner closest to the speakers that came in lol...and I wore super short black socks that I am hoping no one noticed or will remember if they are in our class! Where did you sit?

As for the housing thing, yeah, I would definitely try to get a 6 month. Although, when you hear back from CCLCM you may have other options if that's where you want to go. For me, I am still finishing up my degree here until May. Then I'll work here through the summer and start a lease up in August. Where would you live if you stayed in Madison?

I have a good buddy who just graduated from UW, and he knows the area well. I am hoping to find a place with him using the advice from current med students and people in general who have lived there.

MOA is awesome!!! You'll have a blast!!! I'll be here celebrating my lil sis' 21st bday!!

Lets see...I sat at the far end of the room, the second table closest to the window. I was on the corner closest to the speakers that came in lol...and I wore super short black socks that I am hoping no one noticed or will remember if they are in our class! Where did you sit?

As for the housing thing, yeah, I would definitely try to get a 6 month. Although, when you hear back from CCLCM you may have other options if that's where you want to go. For me, I am still finishing up my degree here until May. Then I'll work here through the summer and start a lease up in August. Where would you live if you stayed in Madison?

I have a good buddy who just graduated from UW, and he knows the area well. I am hoping to find a place with him using the advice from current med students and people in general who have lived there.

MOA is awesome!!! You'll have a blast!!! I'll be here celebrating my lil sis' 21st bday!!

One of my EMS friends is trying to convince me to live with a bunch of paramedics about a half mile from the hospital. It is in one of the super nice houses in a fancy neighborhood but somehow they are getting it super cheap. I would be able to be on EMS shifts and chill at my house studying. It sounds like a pretty good deal but I don't really know the people who will be living there that well. It would be nice to live with guys- girls = drama, but maybe I would rather live with medical students. There are just too many options!!!

Happy birthday to your sister! 21st b-days are the best- especially if it isn't yours :laugh:

One of my EMS friends is trying to convince me to live with a bunch of paramedics about a half mile from the hospital. It is in one of the super nice houses in a fancy neighborhood but somehow they are getting it super cheap. I would be able to be on EMS shifts and chill at my house studying. It sounds like a pretty good deal but I don't really know the people who will be living there that well. It would be nice to live with guys- girls = drama, but maybe I would rather live with medical students. There are just too many options!!!

Happy birthday to your sister! 21st b-days are the best- especially if it isn't yours :laugh:
Girls = Drama! lol...the EMS thing sounds awesome! I am certified only at the basic level, and I am part of the UMEMS team here at the U of M. It's pretty cool, although I am on LOA right now.

I am not all that sure as to my living arrangements next year. I am thinking of living with a friend from high school, as I mentioned, that has lived there through undergrad. But, if we could find a group of 4 to find a place, that would be sweet! Kind of weird though, finding roommates online! lol...almost sketchy. Anyways, when more people join the thread we should throw an idea out there to see if we can meet for coffee sometime in the early summer?? I'd ideally like to live with med students, but I thought it would be kind of hard especially before we're MS1's. Any thoughts?

fellow badger here!! pumped to start UW next fall.

Congratulations letigre!! I can't wait to start either..it should be amazing!! In all honesty, it's been a few weeks since my acceptance, but it still hasn't hit me..lol...It hasn't quite clicked yet or something. I think that will take some time....:)

Yea! Now there are 3 of us! I am 100% Wisconsin now! I put in an offer on a condo and it got accepted! I guess I have my living arrangements all figured out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea! Now there are 3 of us! I am 100% Wisconsin now! I put in an offer on a condo and it got accepted! I guess I have my living arrangements all figured out :)

haha need a roommate? jkjk. Just like you I got into Minnie also....that's gonna be a really tough choice...UW is a sick school but I love minneapolis....woes.

How did you decide? Money?

haha need a roommate? jkjk. Just like you I got into Minnie also....that's gonna be a really tough choice...UW is a sick school but I love minneapolis....woes.

How did you decide? Money?

Yeah money was the main factor. I also feel more comfortable in Madison, love woodmans, it is closer to my parents, I know the hospital, I feel like I have lots of connections already, I am already running with an EMS service here and I found my super cheap condo that ends up being the cost of rent! With the money that I will save on tuition I bought that condo, that is how I justified it!

While making the decision I talked to a few doctors that I work with. They mentioned that wherever you do your med school you will still get paid the same amount in your residency and since the schools are relatively equal it really just comes down to where you want to be and how much you want to spend. They told me that if I really want to go somewhere out of state I should try to do a residency there versus medical school but that was just their advice... Not that it's all about money but I wouldn't want to not be able to do primary care (if I choose to) because I am too far in debt. This is the way I am keeping my doors open.

It is actually a 3 br so I will be looking for a roommate but I don't really think anyone will want to live with me because it is on the west side by the woodmans (reiterating my love for woodmans :) )

I do remember the minnesota dean talking about offering about half of the out of state students in state tuition. it is still higher than wi but a lot more reasonable. maybe that will happen for you? I am sure that will just make the decision that much more difficult!

OK sorry guys that was super long winded! :D

What's Woodmans?

Yeah I think both MN and WI are really good schools, imma go wherever it happens to be cheaper, which will prolly be WI. I'm excited. I'm hoping to find a 1-2 br somewhere super close to campus and get myself a scooter.

Its a giant grocery store that is cheap and has EVERYTHING! I like to cook so I love the place. I have so much stuff that I felt like I needed a bigger place and I wanted to settle down for the whole four years. I also have a cat so I figured it would be more difficult for me to find a roommate and an apartment near campus.

A scooter would be a really good idea... cheap gas, free parking!

Just got accepted this weekend, so excited to start at UW!:D

Just got accepted this weekend, so excited to start at UW!:D

Congrats! Yay we have another classmate! Eventually, when there are more than a couple of us we should start a facebook thread.

Congrats Bluesteel!! It's nice to have more than 3 people on here lol

Congrats! Yay we have another classmate! Eventually, when there are more than a couple of us we should start a facebook thread.

Here's the group on facebook.."University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Class of 2014"

I'm excited to get started this August!

Congrats Bluesteel!! It's nice to have more than 3 people on here lol

Thanks guys! Congrats to you too :) It's just so nice to know I'm going to be a doctor after all this time, and at my dream school too. Couldn't have asked for more. Only bad part is that it's put me into such a dreamy haze I'm finding it hard to study for final exams :scared:

Thanks guys! Congrats to you too :) It's just so nice to know I'm going to be a doctor after all this time, and at my dream school too. Couldn't have asked for more. Only bad part is that it's put me into such a dreamy haze I'm finding it hard to study for final exams :scared:
Me too! When I first heard, I was thinking F school..lol..but it came back a few weeks later. I am not so blown away anymore. However, once the spring starts and summer rolls around, I think I will have a slight 'myocardial infarction' as med school approaches! Look at that, I even used medical terminology! I'll read this post by me in 2 years and laugh at myself :)

count me in at UW :). Just got my letter today. When i 1st applied to schools i never would have thought id end up here lol. Since all my state schools hate me im def coming here :)

count me in at UW :). Just got my letter today. When i 1st applied to schools i never would have thought id end up here lol. Since all my state schools hate me im def coming here :)

Woohoo! I'm glad you're coming! It's your state schools loss :p

Accepted! Definitely coming here! See you guys in August! Oh yeah, also looking for a male roommate if anyone's looking.

I'm looking for a roommate too! I don't live in the area, but I've been looking around at apartments already...it seems cheap enough to live right off university a few blocks from the HSLC.

Living at University Heights next year, a few blocks from the medical school. Hope people live close-by! I am paying $475/month, but have to pay extra for parking. I am relatively happy with that....but there's probably better somewhere...thought I'd post :)

where do miss people live out here for med school? Considering im OOS i have absolutely no idea about this stuff lol. Anyone of you guys want to enlighten me :)

Hey guys, looks like I'll be joining you in August :D. Got my letter on Friday!!!

I'm a third year student at UW and I thought I'd peak my head in here and welcome you all and say congratulations.

It seems like housing is the most popular topic at this point, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

1- Over half the students will live within a 10-15 min walking distance from the HSLC, usually right on Old University ave. These apartments are owned by goldleaf. The price is a little high, especially if you are planning rent a parking spot. You should be able to afford it on your student loan budget. The apartments are on the smaller end in terms of size. I lived in a goldleaf apartment for two years, and I'd say that they are a descent company. The biggest downside of renting from goldleaf is that you are stuck in a 1 year contract, and there is no 'out-clause'. If you want to get rid of the lease (even days after signing it) you will be required to find someone to take it off your hands. Also, your name will still be on the lease, meaning if your subletee defers on the rent, it's on you.

2- There are other apartments right off of Old University ave that are not goldleaf owned. I'm not too familiar with those, but if you look, you'll find them.

3- There are apartments a little west of the HSLC, also off of University ave. These are within a reasonable biking distance, and a slightly longer walking distance (30-45 min?). Examples include Normandy on Sheboygan Avenue. These apartments are bigger in size, cheaper in price, and on a less busy street.

4- Eagle Heights is a University owned apartment complex. It is on the 80 bus route (runs every 8-16 min) and is a 15-20 min walk from the HSLC. Apartments are much nicer and cheaper, parking and internet are both free, and you get to live in a beautiful area (very family friendly). Most tenants are grad students, many married with kids (lots are international students). There is a waiting list usually, but if you try to sign an April or May contract, your odds of getting a unit are much higher. Best Perk: there is a 3 month notice policy if you ever need to break your lease before it's over. In other words, give them a three month notice at any point, and you are free from the lease without any penalty or charge.

5- Some students chose to buy a house/condo, and locations vary (some as far as a 30 in drive or more).

6- other students live in the downtown area (closer to the undergrad campus) and other parts of town.

7- Finally, if you are looking for a roommate and don't mind living with current students, you can look through the med student website http://uwmedstudents.com/. You can post an ad there if you have a place and looking for a roommate (or if you want to find a roommate before finding a place). This website also has houses and apartments that are up for subletting (often times there are very cheap homes for a 6 month or 1 year lease).

I hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you guys might have. Again, welcome and congrats on being accepted!!