University of Wisconsin questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsaja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to attend UW, so I was wondering if someone had any insight into what kind of student they are looking for. I'm planning on taking a year off, which one would appeal more to adcoms at UW-post bacc, research, get a job? I'm a WI state resident but I went out of state for college, will that affect me negatively?

Members don't see this ad.

If it helps...I applied last year as a senior and didn't get in. I took a job as a research assistant in an immunology lab for the off year and now have an interview as a re-applicant - my application improved in other areas but I think the research position helped.

i did about 8 months research in undergrad and have a citation....do i need more? i tried to get another position but have had no luck. any advice on how to get a research position after graduation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its hard to say since its such a subjective process. I got into UW as an OOS w/ no research, but lots of work experience thats probably atypical of most premeds. At the same time, the same attributes killed me in terms of getting interviews at other schools. So, in my opinion, do research. It seems like you cant go wrong with that.

thanks!! is that for the madison area or all over? i would really like to do something near green bay or milwaukee but i will def check out the link above too!

I was hoping for something around GB or appleton. my parents are from appleton area and my fiance is at Oshkosh right now. There was nothing when I was searching, but there might be something now. The list is only UW madison jobs. Good luck with your searching! :)

If you want research, your only options come down to Madison and Milwaukee.

and maybe the Marshfield Clinic, though that's a bit near the middle of nowhere. Still highly regarded, though.