University Programs vs Community.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexter12690

Reaction score
Hi All ! I am a 3rd-year chief resident at a community program in the mid-west. Being an IMG and coming from a lower-tier program with minimal support from cardiology faculty (minimal faculty) it is difficult to get into such a prestigious fellowship let alone being on an H1 visa and being off cycle. I still applied this year after rotating at Mayo for a month to strengthen my CV however the obvious happened and didn't match.

I am dead set on doing cardiology and as I am getting done with my residency, I am evaluating hospitalist positions that will give me a maximum chance of getting into a fellowship.

I am pulling my hair between Temple and Uni. of Iowa. My plan is that by working there as an academic hospitalist, i can participate in research, change my visa status to permanent residency and apply again in 2 years for a cardiology fellowship. Even though there will be minimal chance that the internal program will keep me, i will probably still have a chance at matching at other places which are less competitive.

At the very same time, i have an offer from Reading PA which is a smaller hospital and recently started a fellowship last year. They have a higher percentage of IMGs, if i work there as a hospitalist, i am positive that they will like my work ethic and drive and consider me for a position there. But research is not that robust in that hospital and if in case they don't match me, then i wont be able to go anywhere else and be a competitive applicant.

I will highly appreciate any suggestions, and especially between Iowa and Temple, Temple is an easily approachable area, driveable distance as compared to Iowa but it Iowa has a better cardiology program with lots of exposure, I will prefer the hard work and will go there.

Again all advice is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I matched at a large community hospital. On my interview day, one of the candidates was a hospitalist who’d graduated from the same hospital and now worked as an attending there for two years. All the fellows gave him high fives and clapped his back, wishing him luck. He is not one of the incoming fellows...

I’d take the former offer.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what the heart says too. Between Iowa and Temple which one has a stronger cardiology program and a better name?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure being a hospitalist alone is going to look all that good on your resume. What would help is research.

either temple or Iowa will be reasonable if one offers research opportunities. Reading likely will be a dead end bc they are more likely to take their residents for fellowship.

I couldn't agree more and that is what I think will make the most difference.

Both places are offering me opportunity to be a cardiac hospitalist and an open window to do as much research that I can with their cardiologists. Getting into those research projects will be up to me ofcourse. In the mean time these will also give me a chance to do MPH or MS to further strengthen my resume.

Temple is offering a faculty appointment as well which will be Clinical Assistant Professor.

Iowa is a clinical associate position which is NOT a teaching position.

I couldn't agree more and that is what I think will make the most difference.

Both places are offering me opportunity to be a cardiac hospitalist and an open window to do as much research that I can with their cardiologists. Getting into those research projects will be up to me ofcourse. In the mean time these will also give me a chance to do MPH or MS to further strengthen my resume.

Temple is offering a faculty appointment as well which will be Clinical Assistant Professor.

Iowa is a clinical associate position which is NOT a teaching position.

cardiac hospitalist is the way to go. It’s what got me into fellowship without any real research. Plain hospitalist is a waste of time.

word to the wise...you will likely be very tired. Too tired for heavy research.

Sounds great. That gives me a lot of confidence in selecting Iowa as a cardiac hospitalist.

Lol they gave me a heads-up that they are gonna work me more than ever and pay me less than everyone.

But as long as that gets me in. That's all I care.
I was planning to do either MS or MPH in Biostats or Clinical/Translational research to supplement. I am not sure how it will help in the match though.

Sounds great. That gives me a lot of confidence in selecting Iowa as a cardiac hospitalist.

Lol they gave me a heads-up that they are gonna work me more than ever and pay me less than everyone.

But as long as that gets me in. That's all I care.
I was planning to do either MS or MPH in Biostats or Clinical/Translational research to supplement. I am not sure how it will help in the match though.

Forget the Ms or mph. Just do clinical research and publish. Within 3-4 months you need to have something written and ready to submit. Figure out if they have ready-made data bases and milk the database for a topic.

If you have two or three first author publications you will have a much stronger chance to match.

Whichever program has more interaction with cardiology faculty and time for research