University v. Unopposed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one wants to pursue Sports Medicine, is a University program for residency preferred over a community/unopposed residency??

Thanks for any responses...

Members don't see this ad.

it would be the one that has access to sports med physicians and teams. if a university program uses the FM docs for their team docs, then that's the place to be. if the community program has the hookup for the local teams, then that's the place.

edfig99 said:
it would be the one that has access to sports med physicians and teams. if a university program uses the FM docs for their team docs, then that's the place to be. if the community program has the hookup for the local teams, then that's the place.

Ok, I guess what I meant to ask...If a person is interested in a Sports Medicine fellowship after doing an FP residency, does it make the person more competitive for obtaining a fellowship by doing a university based FP resdincy? ...Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
tobe said:
Ok, I guess what I meant to ask...If a person is interested in a Sports Medicine fellowship after doing an FP residency, does it make the person more competitive for obtaining a fellowship by doing a university based FP resdincy? ...Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!!

ahh...that's a different question altogether :)

the reality is it doesn't matter. the setting you trained at isn't as important as who you trained with, and what you were able to do while training there. so for example, if you are coming from a university program with good sports, good faculty who can write you a good letter, and did tons of stuff sports related that will make any sports program want you, then it's fine that you went to a university program. ( my sense is you're concerned that the university programs carry the rep of "doing less" and that could be true in some instances)

you'll probably want to look at what programs offer sports fellowships and see what kind of setting they're in. medicine is one of those professions with tons of inbreeding...residents often take fellowship spots at the place where they did their training. it can help you narrow down the places you consider.

edfig99 said:
ahh...that's a different question altogether :)

the reality is it doesn't matter. the setting you trained at isn't as important as who you trained with, and what you were able to do while training there. so for example, if you are coming from a university program with good sports, good faculty who can write you a good letter, and did tons of stuff sports related that will make any sports program want you, then it's fine that you went to a university program. ( my sense is you're concerned that the university programs carry the rep of "doing less" and that could be true in some instances)

you'll probably want to look at what programs offer sports fellowships and see what kind of setting they're in. medicine is one of those professions with tons of inbreeding...residents often take fellowship spots at the place where they did their training. it can help you narrow down the places you consider.

Many thanks!! ...good luck w/ the kids :thumbup: