Unlinking Match List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Montmolec

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am under the impression that if you don't match to Anesthesiology, then you automatically do not match to any prelims on your supplementary lists. Then I was reading information on NRMP/ERAS about the emails we will receive on March 17. One possibility was, 'you have matched into a preliminary position but not into an advanced position' or something to that effect. This contradicts my initial impression about how the match works. So how do you ensure a preliminary position if you have not matched into the specialty. Someone told me that you can unlink your main match list from your supplementary list. So that, in the case that you do not match, you have a list of prelim positions to match into? But I have not actually read about this anywhere. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

add the prilim/TY programs to the end of your primary list. That should work.

I have the same question.. This what I did, I not only made a supplemental list but also ranke my first year positions below my anesthesia positions... Any better suggestions??

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of adding the prelims to the end of the primary list. My only concern is that I do not have many anesthesiology programs to rank and feel that adding the prelims to the end of the list will lessen my chance of matching to the few programs I interviewed at.

I've heard of adding the prelims to the end of the primary list. My only concern is that I do not have many anesthesiology programs to rank and feel that adding the prelims to the end of the list will lessen my chance of matching to the few programs I interviewed at.

That is why you have a supplemental list in case you match in an advance position, What if you dont match in any anesthesia position and you were ranked highly by one of your prelims and since you ranked it so low you dont get that spot...
Trust me, that will not happen, most people match in their top 4...

GL

Since it's getting closer to the time to submit rank lists, I am getting a little concerned. I just want to clarify my particular situation in hopes that anyone can provide more advice. I've been told that I should add my supplementary list to the end of my specialty list. But I have only interviewed at 4 programs. My concern is that the program I list as #5 (a prelim) might list me high on their list, affecting my chances of matching to any of the four anesthesiology programs. Is there any other alternative that will maximize my chances of geting a preliminary position if I do not match, without messing up my chances of matching into anesthesia? Any help would be appreciated.

Since it's getting closer to the time to submit rank lists, I am getting a little concerned. I just want to clarify my particular situation in hopes that anyone can provide more advice. I've been told that I should add my supplementary list to the end of my specialty list. But I have only interviewed at 4 programs. My concern is that the program I list as #5 (a prelim) might list me high on their list, affecting my chances of matching to any of the four anesthesiology programs. Is there any other alternative that will maximize my chances of geting a preliminary position if I do not match, without messing up my chances of matching into anesthesia? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't see this as being a problem. If you've ranked the other 4 anesthesia programs first, and then the prelim 5th, then the computer will try to put you into those 4 anesthesia programs first. If those 4 programs fill by applicants that the programs ranked higher than you, and you don't get a spot, then it'll go to your 5th slot the prelim. Its not like if the prelim ranked you first and an anesthesia spot ranked you 2nd you'll go to the prelim spot, you'll go to the spot that you ranked higher, not what spot ranked you higher.

I don't see this as being a problem. If you've ranked the other 4 anesthesia programs first, and then the prelim 5th, then the computer will try to put you into those 4 anesthesia programs first. If those 4 programs fill by applicants that the programs ranked higher than you, and you don't get a spot, then it'll go to your 5th slot the prelim. Its not like if the prelim ranked you first and an anesthesia spot ranked you 2nd you'll go to the prelim spot, you'll go to the spot that you ranked higher, not what spot ranked you higher.

That is my understanding too!:luck:

Exactly - so the only way you would end up at your 5th choice would be if you failed to match at your top 4. So if the prelim spot weren't there in position #5, then you would fail to match altogether.

You go to the highest ranked program on your list that isn't already filled.