UNLV (Full tuition scholarship) vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

plainoatmeal

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! Posting on here to see if anyone has some helpful input regarding my top two school choices. I haven't received any financial information from CUSOM yet, so this might change in a few weeks when they are supposed to be releasing that to us.


UNLV
Pros:
- Full tuition scholarship + inexpensive cost of living = significant debt relief
- Small class size
- New school, so I'll be able to contribute to their development and there's a lot of opportunities for initiating community projects that I'm interested in
- Longitudinal clerkships - I really like the idea of early exposure and following patients long term through my studies
- Systems-based learning, which I also like
- I have a well-established camaraderie with professors and physicians at the school
- Faculty seems very attune to needs of students

Cons:
- This is a new school that is still gaining full accreditation, therefore they have zero stats on matching and STEP exams (although they took over a lot of staff from another school with a long history of residency matching success)
- Living in Las Vegas for the next 4+ years
- Likelihood of matching in Las Vegas is very high; this is actually a double-edged sword, I'm interested in emergency medicine and would be happy to complete an EM residency at UMC

University of Colorado
Pros:
- Colorado has a well-established program with matching in competitive residencies
- Denver is an amazing city/area, I'm an avid outdoorsperson
- Students seem like people I would be happy to have in my life
- Faculty seems very attune to needs of students
- Denver health EM residency: matching for CUSOM grads is very high, so my chances of matching to this specialty (if I end up sticking with it) is good

Cons:
- Cost is unreal for OOS students if no scholarship is offered ($90K/year)


I don't have family in either city, and my SO has a significant interest in living in Denver but is not completely opposed to Las Vegas. Any thoughts are appreciated!
 
take the full tuition scholarship.....90k year is a ton of money and it sounds like both places will get you where you want to go; also, your connections at UNLV increase the likelihood of succeeding if you work hard and seek opportunity. remember, 90k x 4yrs + interest will be near half a million dollars once it is paid off....seems like an easy decision, especially because neither school has family close by for support.