UNLV GPR - Info, Experiences, Insights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grinz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at UNLV GPR program but the interview was super intense (basically got grilled with trivial questions for an hour) and there wasn’t much time allotted to learning about the program. Because of COVID I wasn’t able to visit. I’m having difficulties getting ahold of residents to ask questions, too. Does anyone know anything specific about the program and the current state of it?
I’ve tried searching and a lot of the info on it is from many years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who did that program a couple of years back and he said he got a great experience. IV sedation training and implant placement as well. Not sure if it has changed since then

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who did that program a couple of years back and he said he got a great experience. IV sedation training and implant placement as well. Not sure if it has changed since then
Any clue what that person is doing now? IV sedation and implant training sound awesome, but if you want to associate for a year or two after then wouldn’t those skills largely go to waste unless you can find an office that is already doing those things? Not many owner docs are going to buy a CBCT, implant motor+systems, and IV sedation office setup to bring in an associate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any clue what that person is doing now? IV sedation and implant training sound awesome, but if you want to associate for a year or two after then wouldn’t those skills largely go to waste unless you can find an office that is already doing those things? Not many owner docs are going to buy a CBCT, implant motor+systems, and IV sedation office setup to bring in an associate.
They are working as an associate not sure if they are placing many implants but it’s always nice having those skills if you do decide to in the future. Iv sedation I wouldn’t recommend as a gp but some do it depending on the regulations. Actually lots of offices will bring in associates who can place implants but not sure they will pay for the equipment to do so. CBCT you can always have another office do it but you technically don’t need it for every case.

They are working as an associate not sure if they are placing many implants but it’s always nice having those skills if you do decide to in the future. Iv sedation I wouldn’t recommend as a gp but some do it depending on the regulations. Actually lots of offices will bring in associates who can place implants but not sure they will pay for the equipment to do so. CBCT you can always have another office do it but you technically don’t need it for every case.

yeah that’s true. Really good point too

Hi. I saw your post on DT as well. I’m familiar with this program. What do you want to know?

Hi. I saw your post on DT as well. I’m familiar with this program. What do you want to know?
Basically is this like a fifth year of D school? In other words am I going to have to get a prep check every day and my treatment plans swiped or will I have some freedom? And would you recommend this program over a “good” VA program, why or why not?

the DT crowd seems to think I should avoid IV sedation and implants and stick to ranking the VA programs the highest for the guaranteed experience and abundance of patients in need of bread and butter dentistry.

Grinz,

I'm not sure how much info you received during your interview, but there are quite a few things that I will help clarify. The GPR at UNLV is not truly part of the school. Specifically, all faculty (Dr. Neubaur-perio, Dr. Braun-prosth, Dr. McAlpine-GP program director, etc) only teach at the GPR and are not shared with the pre-doc clinic. In fact, the GPR was established long before the school was created and therefore is relatively independent from UNLV' SDM politics. The current GPR clinic location was moved to UNLV SDM's campus in 2018 or so, but are not necessarily part of the school itself. This means residents do not feel like a 5th year of dental school.

Benefits of the program:
-Spend about a month at a Las Vegas VA doing prosth
-Excellent experience in IV sedation and wisdom teeth EXT (you will perform a min. of 20 sedation cases)
-Lots of Implant and bone graft experiences available: UNLV's pre-doc students must refer all implant cases to GPR
-Hospital rotation where you will learn to communicate with other healthcare workers. This will require you to be on call during your rotation but you might find it's not relevant to dentistry (however, you will see observe/treat some medical emergencies during this time).
-Moderate amount of endo cases including surgical cases (ie apicos) may be available. The reason why endo is not a major selling point is because the GPR does not see Medicaid patients; therefore they are referred to the UNLV pre-doc clinic since their clinic accepts lower insurance reimbursements. Previous GPR residents have performed many endo cases and later accepted at endo residencies shortly after complete their GPR at UNLV, so it's dependant on the resident's ambitions.
-Opportunity to complete a second GPR year. Every year, one student is allowed to stay an additional year in which they can tailor their experiences to their liking, including spending more time at a local VA hospital to complete additional prosth cases. You will have less opportunity to tailor your experiences as a 1-year GPR resident at UNLV.
-I think the current stipend is about 50k/year and you will receive a meal stipend at the local hospital across the street (called UMC).
-Assistants are all great and want to help the residents

Some negatives:
-Faculty are old and prefer that you do things a certain way every time. One of them insists that you use a microscope for everything, including for wisdom teeth extractions for example.
-Recently, the program director came under fire due to salary overpayment made to him by the school (read here). I don't think this has affected the residents' experiences, however.
-Living in las vegas is not what you would imagine if you are from out of state. However, it's cheaper than living in California.

I don't have too much familiarity with VA GPRs other than that patients do not pay for anything.

Overall, it's a difficult decision but regardless of which GPR you end up at, you will benefit from the additional training. Once you complete a GPR year, the learning will never stop and you must continue taking CEs to further your skills. Anything you did not learn in a GPR, you can learn through (sometimes expen$ive) CE courses.

Good luck on match day.

Reactions: 1 users