UNLV interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

study girl

Study Girl
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-

I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at UNLV and would like to tell me what it was like? Type of questions etc?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think there were any specific questions. very laid back. seemed like they just asked me questions about my application and tried to "get to know me".

I love interviews like that! Good stuff! Did they talk about the financial situation of the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, there was a pretty good financial aid presentation

2 separate interviews. one with faculty, the other with a dental student. laid back. it may depend on who you get though. good luck!

Based on my interview & the interviews 4 of my friends had, the student interviews are generally more difficult than the faculty interviews. The faculty really does try to get to know you better & to find out if you're a good fit for the school; the students, however, try to find out if you're truthful about everything on your personal statement & how you would adapt to the rigor of dental school.

Questions I got asked:
Faculty: Why UNLV? Why dentistry? Tell me about yourself.
Student: Why UNLV? Explain to me the steps involved in an RCT. What are some common tools used in amalgam restorations? How will you manage your time while in dental school? How would you contribute to UNLV? What would you change about UNLV dental school?

Like what John Durian stated, it really depends on who you get. Some students are very laid back & some want to see how you do under pressure. Most important things to do: show your compassion for dentistry & just be yourself. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

I did not encounter any questions that required any sorts of dental knowledge. The student interview is just a chat, his only real questions were why dentistry and why UNLV. The professors there are all awesome so its basically a conversation with a couple regular questions thrown in there. Dr Kingleys presentation was awesome!

Did they ask you this because you had Job shadowing in your CV ??

Yes, I doubt my interviewer asks these questions to everyone. Student interviewers have access to your personal statement only & not your stats (lucky for me, since they can't focus on my horrid scores:(); therefore, they only know you through your p.s. & will most likely discuss whatever sticks out to them.

With my 600+ hrs, I was able to answer those questions with ease. I was asked because of a previous incident where a student he interviewed mentioned that he/she assisted for 1500 hours but was unable to answer a simple question, such as describing the role of a dental assistant. He/She either lied about it, never been to a dentist at all :)eek:hope it's not this one), or didn't have a particular answer memorized for it & got nervous. I understood his concerns & after realizing I was truthful in my p.s., he became very laid back & we talked about sports for 15 min.

The faculty seeks applicants who are dental-student material. The students seek those who are classmate/vertical-team material. All leading up to the committee seeking those who are DMD material. So study your application, be confident, & be yourself (not someone you prefer to be). After all, getting an interview means they already like you; they just want to know if the person is equal to or greater than their image on paper. Good luck, everyone!

Yes, I doubt my interviewer asks these questions to everyone. Student interviewers have access to your personal statement only & not your stats (lucky for me, since they can't focus on my horrid scores:(); therefore, they only know you through your p.s. & will most likely discuss whatever sticks out to them.

With my 600+ hrs, I was able to answer those questions with ease. I was asked because of a previous incident where a student he interviewed mentioned that he/she assisted for 1500 hours but was unable to answer a simple question, such as describing the role of a dental assistant. He/She either lied about it, never been to a dentist at all :)eek:hope it's not this one), or didn't have a particular answer memorized for it & got nervous. I understood his concerns & after realizing I was truthful in my p.s., he became very laid back & we talked about sports for 15 min.

The faculty seeks applicants who are dental-student material. The students seek those who are classmate/vertical-team material. All leading up to the committee seeking those who are DMD material. So study your application, be confident, & be yourself (not someone you prefer to be). After all, getting an interview means they already like you; they just want to know if the person is equal to or greater than their image on paper. Good luck, everyone!

I'm definitely looking forward to my interview at UNLV. Thanks for the insight and advice. What year student interviewed you?

im currently a first year at UNLV. if any of you have questions about the school/interview, shoot me a message.

quick facts about the interview day:

-student interview is worth as much as the faculty interview

-2nd or 3rd years conduct the student interviews

-first years eat lunch with you and participate in tours ----> utilize us. we're here to help and to make the interview day as relaxing as possible. you can pretty much ask us questions about anything (ie: what we like, dont like, what we do during our free time). we wont share any of your questions with any of the interviewers.

-student interview is worth as much as the faculty interview

that is a very good point.... and 25 is the max score you can get on interview and here is the complete admission formula that is used by UNLV:

[(Science GPA + Cum. GPA)/8] X [RC/30] X [(BIO + OC + QR)/90] X 75

theoretical Maximum = 75

Good luck...

that is a very good point.... and 25 is the max score you can get on interview and here is the complete admission formula that is used by UNLV:

[(Science GPA + Cum. GPA)/8] X [RC/30] X [(BIO + OC + QR)/90] X 75

theoretical Maximum = 75

Good luck...

Where is GC and PAT in this equation ?

So even if you do very well in the interview, you may still not get in if you have lower GPA or DAT Score ?

So even if you do very well in the interview, you may still not get in if you have lower GPA or DAT Score ?

they said during the presentation that the RC, OC, QR and BIO sections were the major predictors of success among their students (i think on national boards)... which is why they didn't include the AA, TS, PAT or GC.

I've heard that at some schools, after you get an interview they dont really look at your GPA/DAT too heavily anymore.... but at UNLV, it sounded like they were still major factors in deciding whether they'd accept/reject you.

good question - you might want to ask them if your are interviewing there this year ;)

to answer that above question, yeah, my impression was that at unlv the interviews are parts of the equation rather than the final stepping stone of the application process

Thank you Denteeth,schen140,iammjackbauer and Mr.Hands for all the information.