Unlv interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcscott325

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received an interview invite for UNLV yet? I received an email last week saying that I am eligible for an interview and if I am granted one, I will hear from them by 1/15. Has anyone actually received the interview invitation email yet????

Members don't see this ad.

I got the same email. Not sure if they're back in the office from the holidays or not. I'm not expecting to hear anything from schools until mid to late next week--after they've been back from the holidays a little while.

Keep us all updated if you hear anything though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the unlv interview invite : ) for anyone still waiting for one, keep a lookout in your inbox!

Strange, I don't think I received the initial email that I am eligible for an interview, but I got the UNLV invite today! Good luck to you dcscott325 and maybe see you there!

I got an email for my interview yesterday, but it's the same day as my interview for University of the Pacific. I already accepted the UOP interview, do you think UNLV will let me have my interview on another day?

I suggest contacting UNLV to ask if there is another interview date you can attend. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice. They told me that if I can't make the interview date then I will have to give up my spot for that date and be entered into a lottery a spot on the alternate date.

Does UOP have another interview date? If Feb 21 is the only available date, you can choose one school over the other based on which one you rather attend.

Does UOP have another interview date? If Feb 21 is the only available date, you can choose one school over the other based on which one you rather attend.
They do, they have February 21 and 28 as their interview dates but I emailed them already and both days are full. So I figured it's better to take the UOP interview and take my chances with the UNLV alternate interview instead of just taking the UNLV interview and not taking the UOP interview. I have my Western interview next week and I'm still waiting to hear back from Sac State and Long Beach State, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I just found the email that said I am eligible for an interview in my spam folder, so please check your spam mail. And good luck, Matt D, hope you get the alternate interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how many applicants unlv is interviewing??

Still haven't heard anything from them... My file has been "under review" by the department since October... Think this means there is no chance for an interview?

I have no idea how many people are interviewing. nittanyPT, email admissions/Dr. Gillis, she's friendly!

Thanks housestark! I just spoke with her.... she said I am a strong applicant and in line for an interview invite if someone cancells or declines.... So if anyone is no longer interested in UNLV PLEASEEEEEE cancel and give me a chance:nailbiting:

Has anyone else not heard from UNLV? I received the email saying I will be notified by Jan 15th, but I still haven't heard anything. Hopefully, I'm in the same boat as Nittany and not a lost application.

I got an email for an interview on the alternate day today (Feb 14), maybe they are lagging a little while they figure out who is or isn't coming for interviews already? I'm sure you'll hear from them soon!

Thanks Matt! I hope that I hear some good news soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I got an eligibility email from them, and I'm hoping I can get an actual interview date soon! :D

Djt3kn, when did you receive the eligibility email? And did they give you a date when you'll be notified by if you are granted an interview?

Djt3kn, when did you receive the eligibility email? And did they give you a date when you'll be notified by if you are granted an interview?

I got it 2 days ago, and called to check up on it today. They said that I'm in the interview pool but wasn't granted an initial interview. If someone drops or cancels, then I'm still in the pool to be eligible to be granted one. So now it's basically the "waiting game" for me. >_<

Reactions: 1 user
I got it 2 days ago, and called to check up on it today. They said that I'm in the interview pool but wasn't granted an initial interview. If someone drops or cancels, then I'm still in the pool to be eligible to be granted one. So now it's basically the "waiting game" for me. >_<

At least you got that email! Guess its the waiting game for all of us now... update the thread if you hear anything! Are you guys in state or out of state?

I'm an out of state applicant that's still holding on to hope :xf:

I am out of state, coming from the east coast. PTCAS website indicates UNLV's percent of out-of-state applicants is 47% - high for an in-state public university... hang in there, Corin!

Is anyone planning to decline/possibly declining their interview with UNLV?? I just spoke to Dr. Gillis and she said I am #17 on the interview waitlist..... I don't know whether this is good or bad:unsure:

Hey Guys, I am a current UNLV student. Last I heard they are interviewing around 80 applicants. And those of you waiting for an interview don't give up hope yet. I know some students in the program that got offered an interview a week or two before the interview date. Good luck to everyone interviewing and good luck to those of you waiting!

@SNES90...

What year are you in the program? How do you like it? UNLV is my first choice school and I have an interview there next month. I always like to hear what current students think about the program : )

I love the program here. The faculty and other students are amazing. One thing that I really love about it is everyone has iPads, which I think really helps to facilitate our learning, plus there are a lot of great study apps you can use. I am for sure happy with my decision to attend UNLV. And good luck with your interview this month! I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the interview day here. They like to keep it pretty low stress.

@SNES90

I'm glad to hear that you like the program. I'm super excited for my interview and really hope I get accepted! Is there anything you would say you dislike about the program?

Also, would you mind explaining how your interview process went? Was individual/group/both? Who interviewed you and what kinds if questions were you asked? I'm sure all of us would love to have at least a little preparation to ease our nerves slightly!!!

Any helpful information/ advice you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated : )

Umm I mean every program has its flaws and I don't wanna persuade anybody out of making a decision because what I may not really like someone else may not mind. But one thing I would say is I think we don't have the best facilities. I mean they are perfectly adequate but for sure not as nice as some of the other schools I interviewed at. They are making a lot of improvements though and a new building is supposedly in the works.

As for the interviews it was individual with a professor and a physical therapist from the community. The interview lasted maybe 20 minutes. I am honestly not sure on that one. It started out with the usual questions of tell me a little bit about yourself, why physical therapy, why UNLV, talked about APTA and Vision 2020, a question about a what would I do in a situation I believe something about how would I deal with a patient who is unmotivated, how I deal with stress, what hobbies I have, what role I play in a group project and some other questions. I honestly don't really remember many specifics because I interviewed at quite a few schools. I do remember though that for a portion of the time we just talked about hiking and the places I would be able to go. And then the last few minutes I got to ask them questions, always remember to have well thought out questions to ask. It will probably depend on the professor you interview with but my interview was super chill. The rest of the time I got to tour the building, the campus and meet all the faculty. I remember leaving thinking that it was kind of fun. I know it's hard not to but really try to not stress too much. They just kind of want to get to know you. So just be yourself, have fun, get to know the faculty and other students, and remember it's not only about you trying to get into the program, we are trying to convince you to attend our program. So just relax and try to see if the program really is a good fit for you.

Last edited:
@SNES90

Thank you for all of the information! The facilities issue isn't a concern for me at all. I got my undergrad from unlv so unless the graduate school is drastically different, I already know basically what to expect. My main concern is the quality of education. Their program comes with a pretty hefty price tag so my goal is to make sure that the instructors are knowledgeable, and more importantly, are willing to help in any way they can if I happen to find myself struggling. Would you say this is the case there?

I am an out of state student and UNLV is one of the cheaper programs out there for out of state. It's not bad of a price compared to many of the other programs. Any PT program comes with a hefty price tag, and seems how you did your undergrad at UNLV I am going to assume you will be getting instate tuition so you should not complain about the "hefty" price tag. And we have some very knowledgeable faculty, many of them are very well known in their area of practice, and have a variety of certifications or do a lot of research, All are super willing to help if you are struggling as long as you ask.

I'm not complaining about the tuition at all, but $70k IS a huge price to pay for grad school in general. I know it's an investment, but my concern was simply that for any amount of money to be shelled out for tuition, that my chances of graduating are maxed out. And, because I can't foresee how my time in PT school will go for sure, I just like to know that I have plenty of resources at my disposal if I should need them.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on unlv's program. I am both excited and anxious about my upcoming interview, but your information is greatly appreciated. I do have one more question, however. What is the typical schedule like? Mon-fri, 8-5 pm? Is it mostly lecture or is there plenty of hands-on time as well? Etc...

That's great! That's when mine is too. I'm really excited AND nervous. Unlv is my first choice school so I really hope I get accepted!!!!

Are you feeling prepared?

I'm not complaining about the tuition at all, but $70k IS a huge price to pay for grad school in general. I know it's an investment, but my concern was simply that for any amount of money to be shelled out for tuition, that my chances of graduating are maxed out. And, because I can't foresee how my time in PT school will go for sure, I just like to know that I have plenty of resources at my disposal if I should need them.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on unlv's program. I am both excited and anxious about my upcoming interview, but your information is greatly appreciated. I do have one more question, however. What is the typical schedule like? Mon-fri, 8-5 pm? Is it mostly lecture or is there plenty of hands-on time as well? Etc...

You for sure have plenty of resources at your disposal, they have graduate assistants (second year students) who have office hours each week to help you in any class you are struggling in and the professors also have office hours you can go to and ask for help. They will sit down with you and help you figure out strategies for studying better, or go over each individual question that you missed on a test or anything you need help with, they want you to succeed. We have class Monday through Thursday and the hours you are in class varies a lot. Some days we have a couple hours between classes others we have classes back to back. It all just varies. On average though earliest we have had class is 7:30 and the latest they go is 4 or 5, but the schedule is different everyday. Many classes have a lab associated with it so there is plenty of hands on time, it's not all just lecture. Some of the more complicated labs get split into two groups so that the professor can focus on fewer students at one time and really make sure the students get things. And also for some a PT from the community is hired to come in and assist. So that is really nice.
And congrats on the interview invite nittanyPT!

@SNES90

Thanks for the info! It is very relieving to hear about how dedicated the staff is at helping their students. I can only imagine how stressful pt school can be in general so it's nice to know that issues with struggling to learn the material can be efficiently addressed. I'm glad that it sounds like they want to see us succeed as much as we do.

I had my interview at UNLV today for their alternate interview date, I can't make it next Friday when everyone else shows up. I got a really good vibe from the program. The students I talked with were all really informative and down to earth and the faculty were pretty cool too. The whole day was really relaxing and comfortable.

@ Matt D

I'm glad to hear your interview went well! Wold you mind sharing with us how the interview process went and what kinds of questions you were asked?

@dcscott325 I'm not sure how similar it will be to mine since there were so few of us there today, but when I arrived I walked into a room full of current students and just chatted with them until Dr. Gillis came in. Then we had about 20ish minutes for our interview, which was really chill. I really liked how they, of course asked a couple general questions like "why PT", but they had a lot of personalized questions for me. There were a lot of questions that started out like, "So I read in your personal statement that..." That made me feel like they honestly wanted to take the time to get to know me past what they say on PTCAS and in my personal statement. The interview was really chill and felt more like a conversation than a formal interview.