UNLV Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolfpack93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that UNLV was opening a medical school for this cycle but didn't see anything on AMCAS on how to apply. According to their website they get preliminary accreditation in October, is that when it will be available to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm interesting. Ok thanks, I guess I'll just wait till they give some more info.

I heard that UNLV was opening a medical school for this cycle but didn't see anything on AMCAS on how to apply. According to their website they get preliminary accreditation in October, is that when it will be available to apply?

I have some colleagues who have been involved in the new allopathic schools over the past ten years, and it's a fascinating area to watch.

Short version: the LCME does not allow unaccredited programs to accept students. There are three candidate schools right now: Roseman, UNLV, and WSU. The LCME has two more meetings this year, June 14-16 and October 18-20, where they will vote on granting preliminary accreditation to whichever of these schools is teed up in time. I presume that UNLV will be on the docket at the October meeting, based on what their website says. If successful, they should appear in AMCAS at that point. Roseman and WSU may come up in June or October, depending on the timing of their respective site visits.

Reactions: 1 user
I have some colleagues who have been involved in the new allopathic schools over the past ten years, and it's a fascinating area to watch.

Short version: the LCME does not allow unaccredited programs to accept students. There are three candidate schools right now: Roseman, UNLV, and WSU. The LCME has two more meetings this year, June 14-16 and October 18-20, where they will vote on granting preliminary accreditation to whichever of these schools is teed up in time. I presume that UNLV will be on the docket at the October meeting, based on what their website says. If successful, they should appear in AMCAS at that point. Roseman and WSU may come up in June or October, depending on the timing of their respective site visits.

Thank you for letting me know! I didn't realize Vegas was potentially getting two new med schools.