UNLV questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlvdmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any applicants out there that have questions or comments about UNLV, feel free to put them here. I will be sure to check up on it and see what I can do to help. (as well as the other current students that lurk around here) Good luck to all... :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

unlvdmd said:
For any applicants out there that have questions or comments about UNLV, feel free to put them here. I will be sure to check up on it and see what I can do to help. (as well as the other current students that lurk around here) Good luck to all... :luck:

Hey whats up?

I interviewed at UNLV on December 17th, had a great experience with Dr. Raymond Simmons and he told me to email him if I had any questions. I proceeded to email him on the 5th of January but never got a response. I suspect he must be very busy. But anyways maybe you can answer my questions.

1) Thus far, after January 15 how full is your class?
2) When will you guys be re-evaluating interviews for more acceptances?
3) When will those letters be sent?
4) Does UNLV offer schollarships for students in its entering class?

Thank you much for answering these questions, I appreciate it.

Dre

unlvdmd said:

Are there anymore interviews at UNLV?
I am a late applicant who completed my secondary and paid the fees in early December, and recieved a confusing letter in the mail late December. The first page of the letter was telling how to fill my secondary and send in my fees (which I already did :confused: ) and the second page of the letter was thanking for the complete application :confused: .
Can you please let me know what is the process, and if they are still interviewing applicants. Your help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
DB#1 said:
I am a late applicant who completed my secondary and paid the fees in early December, and recieved a confusing letter in the mail late December. The first page of the letter was telling how to fill my secondary and send in my fees (which I already did :confused: ) and the second page of the letter was thanking for the complete application :confused: .
Can you please let me know what is the process, and if they are still interviewing applicants. Your help is appreciated.

Their last interview is in March. You should check with them and see if your application is really completed. They need a fourth letter BTW.

DREDAY said:
Hey whats up?

I interviewed at UNLV on December 17th, had a great experience with Dr. Raymond Simmons and he told me to email him if I had any questions. I proceeded to email him on the 5th of January but never got a response. I suspect he must be very busy. But anyways maybe you can answer my questions.

1) Thus far, after January 15 how full is your class?
2) When will you guys be re-evaluating interviews for more acceptances?
3) When will those letters be sent?
4) Does UNLV offer schollarships for students in its entering class?

Thank you much for answering these questions, I appreciate it.

Dre

I am one of the UNLV lurkers. I am just a DS1 though... But I will try my best to answer questions.

I am willing to bet Dr. Simmons doesn't check his email that often. He is not too into computers. From what I hear, the class is not full at all. They have only offered seats to a handful of people. From what I understand, there are a lot of people waitlisted or "under review." I think that this just means that you have preference when they fill the slots later on in the cycle. UNLV is going the route of filling slots over time instead of all on Dec. 1. As far as when the acceptences go out, I would just call the admissions office girls. They are soooo nice. And lastly, no scholarships from UNLV. Just army, navy, etc. :luck:

DB#1 said:
They do interviews every Thursday I believe. Call the front office and they will let you know what they need as far as your app. They are really friendly up there.... :luck:

Thanks predentchick.

a buddy of mine was at the interview this week and they informed him that so far, they've had 54 people declare intent to attend and only 8 decline their acceptance. UNLV doesn't require a deposit (I heard they can't until they are fully acredited) so I think many of those who declared intent are just keeping UNLV on the backburner while they wait for other schools, so there should still be a lot of spots open up later on. I was surprised, they were the only school of the 4 I've been accepted to who wanted me to inform them if I didn't intent on going there.

USUaggie said:
a buddy of mine was at the interview this week and they informed him that so far, they've had 54 people declare intent to attend and only 8 decline their acceptance. UNLV doesn't require a deposit (I heard they can't until they are fully acredited) so I think many of those who declared intent are just keeping UNLV on the backburner while they wait for other schools, so there should still be a lot of spots open up later on. I was surprised, they were the only school of the 4 I've been accepted to who wanted me to inform them if I didn't intent on going there.

You are very right. They don't have deposit, and that's the main reason they are pissed off a lot.

USUaggie said:

UNLV is not fully accedited? What happens to students who graduate from the school if the school doesn't get accedited?

USUaggie said:
UNLV doesn't require a deposit . . . so I think many of those who declared intent are just keeping UNLV on the backburner while they wait for other schools, so there should still be a lot of spots open up later on.
Exactly. I'm in a similar situation to this right now, so my spot at UNLV will probably open up pretty soon. I'd bet money there's a handful of other students who will do the same.

QuietGuy said:
UNLV is not fully accedited? What happens to students who graduate from the school if the school doesn't get accedited?
What are you talking about? It is fully accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Profchaos said:
What are you talking about? It is fully accredited.

It isn't fully accredited, but it IS as fully accredited as it can be at this stage in the game. Same with Arizona. Given that, all students will be eligible to sit for the NBDE exams in the event that there is an accreditation problem. There won't be any problems with either school though.

ItsGavinC said:
It isn't fully accredited, but it IS as fully accredited as it can be at this stage in the game. Same with Arizona. Given that, all students will be eligible to sit for the NBDE exams in the event that there is an accreditation problem. There won't be any problems with either school though.

Sorry I'm a ******, but let me ask a last question, what's the difference between now and being fully accredited.

Profchaos said:
Sorry I'm a ******, but let me ask a last question, what's the difference between now and being fully accredited.
You can't be fully accredited until you graduate a class.

I am going to attend UNLV this fall, and I am really excited.
I just have a few questions if you don't mind.

So about that spanish seminar? How in depth with spanish do you get. Are the majority of patients at UNLV hispanic?
Is it true that you have off every Thurday afternoon every semester?
Also how is it assisting the 3rd year students? Are they really helpful in showing you important details?
From what direction would you recommend living from the school in order to miss the most traffic possible in the mornings?
Is the 4th year really only 20K.

Thanks!

Stats: GPA: 3.5, Sci: 3.4, DAT: 18/19/17
AADSAS web-application sent: 5-20-2004.
AADSAS #: 100"s
Applied to: numerous (13)
Interview: Case Western Reserve, Marquette, Temple(cancelled), Indiana(cancelled), Nova, UNLV
December 1st Acceptances: Case Western Reserve, Marquette, UNLV
Waitlisted: NOVA
Attending: UNLV

So about that spanish seminar? How in depth with spanish do you get. Are the majority of patients at UNLV hispanic?
Basic Spanish. 40% that's what I heard. We have a large population of Hispanic in Las Vegas due to the hotel industry.
Also how is it assisting the 3rd year students? Are they really helpful in showing you important details?

Thursday afternoon off is the first year. The Ds1s are pretty happy about it. If you are lucky you also get Friday off, that's the case your scheduled patients don't show up. Dunno about the assistance.
From what direction would you recommend living from the school in order to miss the most traffic possible in the mornings?
Is the 4th year really only 20K.

I don't see a huge traffic in the morning. None of my friends do. You are talking about Vegas, but not Cali. From my point of view, anywhere is good. Dental school is right off I15. Dunno about the 4th year. Hope this helps and if I said something wrong, please correct me.

I am a DS-3

The spanish learned is only simple phrases, health history and common dental words. I have seen an estimated 50 different patients in some capacity or another and only have had 3 spanish speaking and one spoke a little english.

So Far we have had a half day off all three years, this like all things could change but its not likely.

I try hard to make it a good learning experience for DS-1's.
DS-1's (dont take offense to this) have no clue, when they assist the half day each week I spend my time discussing with them the fine intracacies of High Speed Evacuation/Suction versus Slow Speed, even though they try they are basically worthless as assistants until the second semester. However, It is really good for them with getting used to dental ergonomics, terminology, materials and assisting.

From what direction would you recommend living from the school in order to miss the most traffic possible in the mornings? Anywhere the school is smack dab in the center of town. Its 20-30 minutes from most directions.

Is the 4th year really only 20K? Yes this is what we have been told. The school has three semesters each year except the fourth year which has two. We are charged for each semester.

Col- I am glad you think we are worthless. :laugh: :laugh: Ok.... we were.

(I only laugh cause I was an assistant for a while before this and I notice just how clueless someone can be when they are just thrown into clinic and told to assist a composite with NO CLUE what prime/bond, etc is.)

To the person with the question: The spanish class is soooo easy. Just remember that during orientation when you fill out a little questionaire to put that you speak NO SPANISH. Even if you took it in high school. This is question is meant for that class, and it determines the level of your exams. I put no spanish and I had to draw a line from abscess to abscesso. :laugh: It was great! Congrats on getting in. See ya next fall.

To all of the helpful UNLV dental students that responded I thank you. The info really helps out a lot. I'm sure I will have more soon!

For the three dental students at Las Vegas, where are you living and how much do you pay in rent? Any reccomendations for me. I am married with a newborn. We spent part of a day looking around at places but didn't really make up our minds where would be the best. Buying seemed too expensive!!
Also about that MBA concurrent program. First of all are there really any students doing both? Also is there really much time to take 2 more classes a semester?

Thankyou

If you are going to rent and don't know the area, I would look into getting a realtor. It doesn't cost you anything. Just a thought. I would steer clear of the north side of town cause traffic is bad on I-15 south in the morning. I-15 N is great in the morning with no delays.

We found an apartment 5 miles north of the school on the corner of Cheyenne and Martin Luther, so it is almost a straight shot south on Martin Luther, but I wasn't sure about the traffic on the other roads besides, I-15.

That is fine. Side streets are just fine. There really is no "good way" to get here.

DIRTIE said:
For the three dental students at Las Vegas, where are you living and how much do you pay in rent? Any reccomendations for me. I am married with a newborn. We spent part of a day looking around at places but didn't really make up our minds where would be the best. Buying seemed too expensive!!
Also about that MBA concurrent program. First of all are there really any students doing both? Also is there really much time to take 2 more classes a semester?

Thankyou
I think all areas on the outskirts of town are relatively nice with the exception of the east/nellis side. Most of the students are scattered around town. I live in summerlin, it takes me 20 min to get to school and my wife and I love the area. You are right, it is too expensive now to buy on a dental school budget.

I know two DS-3s doing the mba. I would have done it too but they require a bachelors which I didnt get. They take classes during the weeknights at UNLV's main campus. They can take 1-2 classes(1-2 nights a week) a semester. It supposedly is relatively easy to handle though. You cant start till your second year. Though waiting till your third year might be the best idea because the course load is relatively easy by then.

ItsGavinC said:
I wish our school had the MBA option. Ho hum.
The biggest attraction to me is the MBA program, where you get to finish with the DDS in four years! It does sound better when you have the additional MBA title after your DDS title:)

ItsGavinC said:
I wish our school had the MBA option. Ho hum.

I thought you guys did offer the MBA with DDS option but that you guys would have to finish the MBA requirement after you graduate??

DREDAY said:
I thought you guys did offer the MBA with DDS option but that you guys would have to finish the MBA requirement after you graduate??
The program is shortened to 30 credits instead of 45 for DDSs. And you do get to finish DDS and MBA at the same time. 4 years 2 degrees

I recently took the DAT and score a 19AA/20TS/17PAT....BIO19,Orgo21, Ochem20, RC20, and MATH 14!!!!!!! My GPA is Overall 3.60 & Science GPA 3.76. I have UNLV as one of my top options since I live so close to Vegas...My questions is: Do you think my math score will be an issue for admission into UNLV??
unlvdmd said:

I got a 14 Math and a lower GPA than you (3.5 all around). It's not going to make or break you. It was brought up at my interview though. But I got in~

gabrielmeraz said:
I recently took the DAT and score a 19AA/20TS/17PAT....BIO19,Orgo21, Ochem20, RC20, and MATH 14!!!!!!! My GPA is Overall 3.60 & Science GPA 3.76. I have UNLV as one of my top options since I live so close to Vegas...My questions is: Do you think my math score will be an issue for admission into UNLV??

To be honest with you, I don't think so. It also depends on who's your interviewer. If you get Dr. Ancajas, then she will ask you in a very detailed way. If you get Dr. Hill, then it means no questions asked, just chat about something else. Good luck, I think your score is very impressive.

Thanxs for the input, I was told by the NYU Admission chief the only way I had to back-up the poor performance in the math section would be with excellent math grades (preferably calculus, and trigonometry). I did Ace my math classes; but, I don't know whether UNLV consider Math classes as a way to compare a candidates math capabilities.

A 14 on the math section is just fine, trust me that is what I got. They do not care about that section, they will put your 2 gpa's and AA and pat in a little equation and that is your score. I too got a 14 in QR. I was accepted!! I think that schools want to see if you did well on 2 sections, RC and Bio. Since that is what dental school will really consist of. I also have heard that QR is going to be replaced sometime in the near future with a logic LST type section or something like that.

Good luck!!

Stats: GPA: 3.5, Sci: 3.4, DAT:18/19/17 (18RC, 14 QR, 21 BIO, 16 GC, 20 OC)
AADSAS web-application sent: 5-20-2004.
AADSAS #: 100"s
Applied to: numerous (13)
Interview: Case Western Reserve, Marquette, Temple(cancelled), Indiana(cancelled), Nova, UNLV
December 1st Acceptances: Case Western Reserve, Marquette, UNLV
Waitlisted: NOVA
Attending: UNLV

I had my interview on November 16th and I haven't heard anything since. I called Dr. Ancaje and all she told me is that my application is "under review" still.

I mean, this is just another generic question, but seriously what are my chances of getting in at this late stage of the game? I mean, it's amost February and I"m starting to lose hairs by handfuls.

I have 3.1 overall / 3.1 science GPAs

20 AA, 19PAT, 19 TS

Over a year of experience as dental assistant and I also graduated from a Dental Assistant program from American Career College, a vocational school, all the while juggling my hectic school work at UCLA.

I think I have a robust field experience, but it seems to me that schools really do care about just numbers in the end. I dunno. :(

polarnut said:
I had my interview on November 16th and I haven't heard anything since. I called Dr. Ancaje and all she told me is that my application is "under review" still.

I mean, this is just another generic question, but seriously what are my chances of getting in at this late stage of the game? I mean, it's amost February and I"m starting to lose hairs by handfuls.

I have 3.1 overall / 3.1 science GPAs

20 AA, 19PAT, 19 TS

Over a year of experience as dental assistant and I also graduated from a Dental Assistant program from American Career College, a vocational school, all the while juggling my hectic school work at UCLA.

I think I have a robust field experience, but it seems to me that schools really do care about just numbers in the end. I dunno. :(
Her name is Dr. Ancajas. To be honest with you, your stats are the average of the people who got interviewed this year at UNLV. Since you are from UCLA, you will have an advantage because UCLA sends the most people to UNLV expect UNLV itself. Good luck.

Profchaos said:
Since you are from UCLA, you will have an advantage because UCLA sends the most people to UNLV expect UNLV itself. Good luck.
I am pretty sure these statements arent true, I dont think any school gives you an advantage in getting in. Unless its harvard type schools and then the question is why is someone from harvard interested in UNLV's dental school. Also I cant speak for the incoming class but my class didnt have anyone from UCLA, but we do have 19(or thereabouts) students from BYU and 15(I think) from UNLV.

Col Sanders said:
I am pretty sure these statements arent true, I dont think any school gives you an advantage in getting in. Unless its harvard type schools and then the question is why is someone from harvard interested in UNLV's dental school. Also I cant speak for the incoming class but my class didnt have anyone from UCLA, but we do have 19(or thereabouts) students from BYU and 15(I think) from UNLV.
I was at the interview just couple weeks ago. And last year they had 4 from UCLA, second after UNLV.

Profchaos said:
I was at the interview just couple weeks ago. And last year they had 4 from UCLA, second after UNLV.

Update!!! There are 5 students from Weber State that to my knowledge are going to UNLV

Profchaos said:
I dont mean to be disagreeable, I wouldnt drag this out if I wasnt sure I was right. I personally know 6 students just from BYU and I only know about 10 first year students. I fully believe you believe what you are saying but I am sitting about 20 feet from the UNLV SDM admissions office and I decided to go and ask. The admissions secretary said UCLA is not one of the top schools for enrollees. She said that many Arizona Colorado Nevada and Utah schools all have more students than UCLA. If you would like she said she would be happy to email you the correct statistics so that false information is not distributed.

oooooooo Profchaos got MODED.

Col Sanders said:
I dont mean to be disagreeable, I wouldnt drag this out if I wasnt sure I was right. I personally know 6 students just from BYU and I only know about 10 first year students. I fully believe you believe what you are saying but I am sitting about 20 feet from the UNLV SDM admissions office and I decided to go and ask. The admissions secretary said UCLA is not one of the top schools for enrollees. She said that many Arizona Colorado Nevada and Utah schools all have more students than UCLA. If you would like she said she would be happy to email you the correct statistics so that false information is not distributed.

Ok, I'm wrong then. Sorry about that dude.

I am in the DS1 class and everyone and their DOG went to BYU in my class!