UNLV vs OHSU (OOS for both)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabdelhamid

Reaction score
I was accepted into UNLV and OHSU as an out of state resident for both (CA resident). I'm not quite sure which one I want to attend. I haven't visited OHSU because the interview was virtual, so I'm unfamiliar with facilities/ faculty/ student environment. Cost is also a huge factor for me tuition and cost of living so any info on that would be greatly appreciated. Any factors that will help me decide would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted into UNLV and OHSU as an out of state resident for both (CA resident). I'm not quite sure which one I want to attend. I haven't visited OHSU because the interview was virtual, so I'm unfamiliar with facilities/ faculty/ student environment. Cost is also a huge factor for me tuition and cost of living so any info on that would be greatly appreciated. Any factors that will help me decide would be greatly appreciated!
cheaper
UNLV you can get IS after one year...

You should visit Portland before you make a decision.

I don't know where you grew up in California, but UNLV will be more like SoCal and Portland more NoCal. Regardless, whichever one will be cheaper in the long run will be critical.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go UNLV, almost certain it will be cheaper than OHSU as they're private. UNLV will also have better weather. I hate rain, so would never go to OHSU, but assess your options. Think costs first because you'll be dealing with loans for far longer than you'll be in school.

OHSU:
1704215342740.png

There are 3 terms per year at OHSU so 3x around $25k = $75k x 4 = $300k + living costs

UNLV:

100k for the first year
60k 2nd
60k 2nd
40k 3rd
$260k + living expenses for UNLV

If I did my math right and if you get in-state tuition at UNLV after 1-year then it is about a $40k difference between UNLV and OHSU. One thing to note, though, is the OHSU fees look like they are locked for the entire duration of enrollment, whereas UNLV can change their COA at any time. For UNLV I would assume a 4-8% increase every year on the tuition cost they have on the website, whereas at OHSU you will be locked in at $300k.

Someone please correct me if I did the math incorrectly lol

Also I would verify that the tuition is locked at OHSU if you are considering going there.

Reactions: 1 user