Unlv vs oklahoma wtf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alphanumerdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted to UNLV and Oklahoma and Im hoping any current students or anyone else can chime in and help me weigh this thing out! Im married with no kids yet, out of stater for both schools.

UNLV - I think: $215k w/o living expenses assuming I get instate after 1 year. (Anyone know about NV's grant-in-aid program?)
- Closer to more family(CA)/I know people in vegas
- Good technology/facilities
- I hear about unhappy students/complaints about faculty

Oklahoma - $ 223k w/o living expenses assuming im OOS all 4 years. (Does anyone know if getting instate is possible?)
- Dont know anyone in OK
- Still no digital x-rays, do own lab work?
- Student not happy about slow tech but happier overall?
- Start dental school 2 months earlier
- students worried about reaching clinical reqs(school probably to change it)

Im interested in specializing and as far as I know both schools provide equal opportunity for it.

Can anyone weigh in on factors here or those Im neglecting? I was also accepted to Midwestern AZ which had the happiest students but its like 280k

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't like either of these places. Of course, you will likely be spending a lot of time studying either way so it likely won't matter. Do the math on total cost of attendance and decide on raw dollar cost of attendance.

Looks like you only posted cons for OK...I think you already decided on UNLV. I'd rather go MWU than UNLV, but that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, I don't like either of these places. Of course, you will likely be spending a lot of time studying either way so it likely won't matter. Do the math on total cost of attendance and decide on raw dollar cost of attendance.
jh2.jpg

22.jpg

6.jpg

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Looks like you only posted cons for OK...I think you already decided on UNLV. I'd rather go MWU than UNLV, but that's just me.

I would rather go MWU as well but cant justify the cost difference? What did you like not like about UNLV? We are pretty torn but probably leaning to Ok.

I would rather go MWU as well but cant justify the cost difference? What did you like not like about UNLV? We are pretty torn but probably leaning to Ok.

I've never been to OK, so I can't comment on that. I went to UNLV for a pre-dental simulation course and for an interview, so I got a good look at the place. I even remember their address lol. At UNLV, it was pretty boring (forgive me UNLV students). Facilities are relatively nice, but I personally didn't see myself going there. Their lounge look like an empty garage. I don't like how it's isolated from all the other UNLV programs. The students didn't seem happy there. I thought their lecture halls were weirdly shaped; I wouldn't want to get stuck seeing the back of the professors head all day. I was told a lot of their professors got taken by MWU and Roseman. Plus at my interview they told everyone the expect rise in tuition is 5% each year. Although housing is cheap here, so if you have a family that might be something to consider.

As for MWU, I went here for a pre-dental simulation course and an interview too. The facilities are amazing. I don't like how the clinic is across the street (imagine summer weather). Another thing I didn't like was the lack of residency programs. Their recreation center is pretty nice/new. I like their system of lab grading. Overall, I had a good feel at the school. It didn't sound like a lot of students were active in research. A lot of students seemed happy hear because of the well-rounded campus...except that tiny weight room haha. I guess housing is cheap here too.

That's all I can think of at the top of my head. Do some research on the curriculum! I would look at that strongly. I think I still have all my notes from each school I interviewed at. Some of these things I listed could be a pro or a con for you depending what you want. These are just some of the things that I picked out. Also, if I were you I would factor in housing expenses since you are paying for that too while you are there.

Good luck! :thumbup: