airvent

.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
323
0
Status
Damn!!! That is f'ked up.

Call those schools back and ask for your spot..screw those fools :thumbdown:
 

kato999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2004
344
1
39
Status
Dentist
Wow. Is the las vegas sun a reliable source? in any case i wonder if the OEC deal would save your school if that ends up happening. if that story is true it is definitely a bummer.
 

unlvdmd

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2004
423
1
Las Vegas
Status
The sun is NOT a reliable source. We brought this up to the administration and they pointed out that the sun has published articles against the school from day one. They take any hint of a story and exploit it. The school will be there for a long time and we are not worried about it at ALL. Don't worry dirtie, being a new PUBLIC school you will get this kind of flack from the community!
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
I'd wait and get the information straight from the horses' mouth. Like UNLV, Arizona gets ripped to shreds often by those who have no clue what's going on and insist on presenting everything in a bad light.

Of course, some of the information is true, but some of it is false, and the two simply don't go well together.

Arizona (like UNLV I'm sure) does have some problems, but the funny thing is that they're NOT the problems that the community, other dentists, or even applicants think they are.
 

sonrisa dentista

Snakes On A Member?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2002
58
0
36
Phoenix, AZ
Status
Dental Student
I think Sen. Bob Beers must be an anti-dentite! :thumbdown:

JERRY: So you won't believe what happened with Whatley today. It got back to hime that I made this little dentist joke and he got all offended. Those people can be so touchy.
KRAMER: Those people, listen to yourself.
JERRY: What?
KRAMER: You think that dentists are so different from me and you? They came to this country just like everybody else, in search of a dream.
JERRY: Kramer, he's just a dentist.
KRAMER: Yeah, and you're an anti-dentite.

JERRY: I am not an anti-dentite!
KRAMER: You're a rabid anti-dentite! Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools.
JERRY: They do have their own schools!
KRAMER: Yeah!....
:laugh:
 

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member

jrd29

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2003
60
0
Visit site
Status
I am a 3rd year at UNLV. The Nevada Legislature meets every other year, and every year Bob Beers finds something to try and cut from the state budget. 2 years ago it was the dental school and it seems to be this year also.

It is nothing to worry about. It's all political. He will just talk big to make it look like he is concerned about the state budget. All the talk might be unnerving to a prospective student, but things are fine.

Politics are fun, eh?
 
OP
D

DIRTIE

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
409
0
Las Vegas
Status
Dental Student
jrd29 said:
I am a 3rd year at UNLV. The Nevada Legislature meets every other year, and every year Bob Beers finds something to try and cut from the state budget. 2 years ago it was the dental school and it seems to be this year also.

It is nothing to worry about. It's all political. He will just talk big to make it look like he is concerned about the state budget. All the talk might be unnerving to a prospective student, but things are fine.

Politics are fun, eh?
Thanks! You are right it is a little unnerving, but I understand a little more now.
 

AZ2thDOC

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
39
0
Status
ItsGavinC said:
I'd wait and get the information straight from the horses' mouth. Like UNLV, Arizona gets ripped to shreds often by those who have no clue what's going on and insist on presenting everything in a bad light.

Of course, some of the information is true, but some of it is false, and the two simply don't go well together.

Arizona (like UNLV I'm sure) does have some problems, but the funny thing is that they're NOT the problems that the community, other dentists, or even applicants think they are.

Gavin: What are Arizona's (ASDOH's) problems then? Perhaps you could enlighten myself and a lot of of other folk in the community, other dentists, and applicants since you imply that the rest of us don't have a clue. A PM would be appreciated since it doesn't exactly belong with this thread. Thanks in advance.
 

Divineimpetus

Trucker's Atlas
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
108
0
35
Moon and Antarctica
dana.ucc.nau.edu
Status
Why should state's subsidize education? If there was a profit for educating students in Dentistry, why didn't a private college/university open up a Dental School?

I am not trying to be spitefull to anyone at a UNLV or any public dental school (I myself go to a public university.) I am just wondering why states do this.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Divineimpetus said:
Why should state's subsidize education? If there was a profit for educating students in Dentistry, why didn't a private college/university open up a Dental School?

I am not trying to be spitefull to anyone at a UNLV or any public dental school (I myself go to a public university.) I am just wondering why states do this.
It probably has something to do with it falling under the umbrella of providing healthcare to citizens.
 

groundhog

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2000
1,398
2
Visit site
Status
Politicians usually ask for the moon with their opening salvos in those areas that do not violate their core principles. Its just Negotiation 101. Beers and the majority of the Nevada dental community would probabally be content to see the class size halved from 70+ to about 30+ by the time that the Nevada dentist/population ratio approaches the national average. The UW dental school did exactly that a number of years ago (downsized from 100 to 55 entering students) after an economic concern was raised by dental practitioners about flooding the market with dentists.
 

jrd29

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2003
60
0
Visit site
Status
groundhog said:
Politicians usually ask for the moon with their opening salvos in those areas that do not violate their core principles. Its just Negotiation 101. Beers and the majority of the Nevada dental community would probabally be content to see the class size halved from 70+ to about 30+ by the time that the Nevada dentist/population ratio approaches the national average. The UW dental school did exactly that a number of years ago (downsized from 100 to 55 entering students) after an economic concern was raised by dental practitioners about flooding the market with dentists.

I personally have no qualms with a public debate over the need for the dental school. It is in the public's best interest to discuss all uses of public money.

I agree that flooding the Las Vegas market with too many dentists is not in anybody's best interest. I do believe, however, that the underserved population in Las Vegas is benefitting greatly because of the dental school's existence. Reciprocity does not seemed to have solved the state's dental access problem, but I believe that the dental school IS helping that cause.
 

Col Sanders

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
144
0
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
Status
jrd29 said:
I personally have no qualms with a public debate over the need for the dental school. It is in the public's best interest to discuss all uses of public money.

I agree that flooding the Las Vegas market with too many dentists is not in anybody's best interest. I do believe, however, that the underserved population in Las Vegas is benefitting greatly because of the dental school's existence. Reciprocity does not seemed to have solved the state's dental access problem, but I believe that the dental school IS helping that cause.
Nothing like some good ol fashioned politics to get jrd29 posting again!
 

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
1,181
5
Visit site
Status
Someone please explain to me how a school less than 3 years old has:

"It has provided 12,000 students with dental education, screened 30,000 students for oral cancer"
 

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
1,181
5
Visit site
Status
"This fall, the school will have 300 students, Ferrillo said. He added that if UNLV's school closed, it would be difficult to find space for Nevada's dental students in the nation's other 56 dental schools."

I highly doubt that.

And this made me think, if a dental school like NYU burns down...what do you do with the students? I mean we have 1200 dental students here. That means on avg each school in the USA needs to take 22 students from here.
 

Col Sanders

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
144
0
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
Status
Brocnizer2007 said:
Someone please explain to me how a school less than 3 years old has:

"It has provided 12,000 students with dental education, screened 30,000 students for oral cancer"
12,000 second graders with oral hygiene instruction is what this wonderful reporter from the very reputable Review Journal meant to say.
 

Col Sanders

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
144
0
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
Status
NVDental said:
Here is an article that appeared today in the Las Vegas Review Journal.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Mar-03-Thu-2005/news/25979690.html


I guess the attacks just won't end.
Just got back from a meeting with our Dean where he reassured everyone that this is just politics and sensationalism to sell newspapers.
We had the same fight in the state legislature 2 years ago(our state legislature meets every other year). Back then there was a huge budget deficit and they were looking to cut many programs. We came through that just fine. The difference this year is the state has a 300 million dollar surplus, and the school would be ten times harder to close because we are more established and have built clinics and offices and hired alot of people since then. The few 3-4 legislators that want to close the school are just playing the politics, we have dozens of legislators that support us completely, their quotes dont make the papers because it isnt as exciting. We have the backing of the Nevada Dental Association, the State University System and by far the majority of legislators republican and democrat. Its not a problem just fun reading.
Also just found out that a committee unanimously accepted a proposal to start accepting the WREB for state licensure, now it goes to the legislature and looks like it will pass easily. I am a third year and that means no Nevada Board Exam, WOOHOO!!!
 

Ruprick

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
261
0
Arizona
Status
NVDental said:
Here is an article that appeared today in the Las Vegas Review Journal.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Mar-03-Thu-2005/news/25979690.html


I guess the attacks just won't end.
OK that is crazy. UNLV is one of my top choices and to be honest, this article raises serious doubt. This can't be helping UNLV's image/admissions process. What I find shocking is these politicians telling us the $$$ would be better spent by training auto mechanics!

Someone familiar with the situation please explain this to me.
 

kato999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2004
344
1
39
Status
Dentist
Col Sanders said:
Just got back from a meeting with our Dean where he reassured everyone that this is just politics and sensationalism to sell newspapers.
We had the same fight in the state legislature 2 years ago(our state legislature meets every other year). Back then there was a huge budget deficit and they were looking to cut many programs. We came through that just fine. The difference this year is the state has a 300 million dollar surplus, and the school would be ten times harder to close because we are more established and have built clinics and offices and hired alot of people since then. The few 3-4 legislators that want to close the school are just playing the politics, we have dozens of legislators that support us completely, their quotes dont make the papers because it isnt as exciting. We have the backing of the Nevada Dental Association, the State University System and by far the majority of legislators republican and democrat. Its not a problem just fun reading.
Also just found out that a committee unanimously accepted a proposal to start accepting the WREB for state licensure, now it goes to the legislature and looks like it will pass easily. I am a third year and that means no Nevada Board Exam, WOOHOO!!!

That's gotta be nice not to have to fabricate a complete denture now. I always thought that would be like making an orthopedic surgeon cast his own hip implant for licensure.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Col Sanders said:
12,000 second graders with oral hygiene instruction is what this wonderful reporter from the very reputable Review Journal meant to say.
Yes, but it's actually quite correct in the way it was written in the article. That is, there isn't anything wrong with the original copy.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
kato999 said:
That's gotta be nice not to have to fabricate a complete denture now. I always thought that would be like making an orthopedic surgeon cast his own hip implant for licensure.
Amen to that. Setting teeth = blech.
 

NVDental

DS4
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2004
72
0
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
The article states that NV has 37 dentists per 100,000 people, and that the National average is 57. However, NV is a relatively small state with approximately 2,000,000 residents. This means that there is about a shortage of 400 dentists in the state. (57-37) X (2,000,000/100,000) = 400. Given the growth rate (approximately 5-6%/yr), NV will need approximately 20-25 additional dentists per year to accommodate the growth. I believe that this shortage will be quickly overcome once UNLV starts producing 74 students per year and if NV accepts the WREB. I know that not all of the UNLV grads will stay in NV, but there are probably several NV residents, like myself, attending school out of state that plan on returning upon graduation. At USC, the financial aid advisors are practically telling the graduates to practice in NV or AZ, because SoCAL is saturated with dentists. There is a lot of excitement among my classmates that NV may accept the WREB, because the Nevada State Board was seen a major hurdle that they didn’t want to have to deal with. I think that a shortage of dentists on a per capita basis will be non existent in the near future, however the distribution of those dentists is another issue entirely. Once the dentist shortage disappears, there will probably be a lot more pressure to close the school.

I think that the administrators at UNLV are too dismissive, or not honest about the threat to close the school. Let’s be honest here, the administrators don’t control the legislature, and while there is a budget surplus this year, who knows what will happen in two years. It is completely within the power of the legislature to close the school. The administrators need to put a positive spin and outlook over the security and stability of the school. Otherwise they’ll run into student and faculty recruitment problems, as well as problems obtaining money and cooperative agreement for corporate funding/donations/research etc.

I think that from all of interview experiences that we as dental students have had, we know that administrators are “spin” masters. I did not hear one administrator seriously acknowledge or address any negative problems that were raised by students. When I interviewed at UNLV last year, instead of saying that there were problems with the curricula, they instead said that since they were new they “are able to quickly adapt to student needs”. USC said the same thing about PBL. I asked the administrators at UNLV about the political opposition that wanted to close the school, they told me that it was not a threat and that the only reason why there was opposition was because there was a deficit. Well now there is a surplus and it there is still pressure close the school.
The administrators told ColSanders that, “that this is just politics and sensationalism to sell newspapers.” If someone wanted to sell newspapers, certainly there are more creative and interesting topics to write about. (again I think that the administrators are too dismissive in their comments).

It is my opinion that one of the main political reasons why there is a dental school in NV is because there is a big struggle between Northern Nevada and Southern Nevada for political control and the university and community college system is caught up in this fight. There is a battle between University of Nevada-Reno and UNLV for funding parity. Having a dental school at UNLV creates more prestige and parity for UNLV with UNR. UNR historically had more funding, prestige, PhD programs, and the medical school etc. ( I like to think of it as sibling rivalry). There is a lot of back scratching among the University Board of Regents and legislature, so that is why there is support for UNLV school of Dentistry. While it is not likely that the school will close, I honestly believe that it is a possibility, (especially if the dentist shortage is remedied) and was a significant consideration in for me when I applied to UNLV. However, I actually hope that it stays open!

Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was all just an elaborate ploy to get funding for the auto mechanics facility :laugh:

Sorry this post is so long, but this is just my perspective from living in nevada for over 20 years.
 

Col Sanders

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
144
0
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
Status
NVDental said:
I believe that this shortage will be quickly overcome once UNLV starts producing 74 students per year and if NV accepts the WREB.
Once the dentist shortage disappears, there will probably be a lot more pressure to close the school.

I think that the administrators at UNLV are too dismissive, or not honest about the threat to close the school.

It is my opinion that one of the main political reasons why there is a dental school in NV is because there is a big struggle between Northern Nevada and Southern Nevada for political control and the university and community college system is caught up in this fight.
While it is not likely that the school will close, I honestly believe that it is a possibility, (especially if the dentist shortage is remedied) and was a significant consideration in for me when I applied to UNLV. However, I actually hope that it stays open!
You make alot of good points. I just wanted to comment on a few. First of all since SB133 when the state accepted reciprocity for dentists with 5years experience there has been no shortage in dentists. Essentially we began to have the same problems that many metropolitan areas have had. Too many dentists in the suburbs and few in the less desirable places to live. Every dentist I know here in LV have seen dramatic decreases in there income. Furthermore among my classmates there is not too much excitement about staying in Nevada to practice. I cant think of one nonnevadan planning to stay and I know many nevadans who want to leave.
Also when you say the administration is too dismissive, well what are they supposed to say. Should they tell everyone to reserve moving vans in case the school closes. Of course not. Now is there really a threat? Well I have seen 1 state senator saying they should close the school (Bob Beers republican from the south, he is a vindictive person who is only saying it because of his fueding with Ray Rawson Republican over the years and his crusade to end all taxes. He has also been against any major new spending program in the state since he was elected and has a big mouth, of course he wouldnt be for the school.) I also heard 2 other state legislators who went on record saying we need to revisit the idea of a dental school, but they never said it should be gone for good. I guess of the 42 members of the assmebly and 21 members of the state senate that means about 1 in twenty has publicly stated misgivings about the school. Thats about 5% and they are the same people that opposed us when we opened, furthermore when carefully thought through the repercussions of closing the school would be far greater than the 4-5 million a year we recieve in funding from the state, it would be wasted millions from money already spent, and UNLV's already shaky reputation among the educational community would take a serious blow. Most lawmakers would keep the d-school just to avoid UNLV hurting its reputation.
I agree there is a little north south thing going on in nevada, but the same thing is in california and every other geographically big state, if you look at the history of nevada, there was the same struggle to even start UNLV in the 60's because the north wanted to control it, it opened and stayed open because of growth even after threats of closure.
I came here becuase I thought it was exciting, I have friends (also NV residents) who went other places because they too thought the school closing was a factor, particularly two years ago when we heard the exact same arguments. I agree we may lose out on some students because of this, but those type of students arent the ones we would want here anyways. I havent seen us have any trouble filling the classes every year, even the first year when we were in the same building as the automechanics, and had nothing.
Honestly, I just dont think there is too much to worry about.