UNM DPT class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natmasc86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else will be attending UNM's DPT program this fall?

I payed my deposit last month and I'm eagerly anticipating the start of the Fall semester. I look forward to meeting all of my fellow pt students.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! That's awesome! I'm still on the waitlist for UNM, but have been accepted at 2 other schools (including just getting pulled off the waitlist for one of them this afternoon).

I've paid my deposit at one school, but apparently now have another option. Maybe UNM will join that list soon!

Congrats! That's awesome! I'm still on the waitlist for UNM, but have been accepted at 2 other schools (including just getting pulled off the waitlist for one of them this afternoon).

I've paid my deposit at one school, but apparently now have another option. Maybe UNM will join that list soon!
Congrats on your acceptances! Are you a NM resident? What other schools did you apply to? I got into UNLV as well but declined the offer since UNM was my first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances! Are you a NM resident? What other schools did you apply to? I got into UNLV as well but declined the offer since UNM was my first choice.

Thanks! And yeah, my wife and I currently live in Albuquerque.

I applied to UNM (interviewed, wait listed), UT Southwestern (rejected), UNTHSC (rejected), OUHSC (wait listed, then accepted), and USA-Austin (interviewed, accepted).

UNLV would have been fun! Their main campus being right at the end of the strip could have spelled trouble though I guess.

I had paid my deposit and everything for USA-Austin and we were planning on relocating, but now with the news that OU has a spot for me, we're leaning towards moving to Oklahoma City instead as it is a much less expensive school and area to live.

I'm attending UNM. Now that the application process is over, time to search for scholarships.

I'm attending UNM. Now that the application process is over, time to search for scholarships.
Congrats! Are you a NM resident? I've found several scholarships through APTA, but most are for third year DPT students.

Last edited:

I applied to UNM (interviewed, wait listed), UT Southwestern (rejected), UNTHSC (rejected), OUHSC (wait listed, then accepted), and USA-Austin (interviewed, accepted).

UNLV would have been fun! Their main campus being right at the end of the strip could have spelled trouble though I guess.

I had paid my deposit and everything for USA-Austin and we were planning on relocating, but now with the news that OU has a spot for me, we're leaning towards moving to Oklahoma City instead as it is a much less expensive school and area to live.
Well hopefully you will hear from UNM soon. We had until April 1st to have all our paperwork and deposits in. So they will probably start going through the alternate list soon. A friend who is currently a third year at UNM mentioned that several alternates got into her class. Do know what number you are on the list?

Last edited:
If you find the secret to scholarships for UNM let me know because I haven't had any luck. Recently, when I went on a student-led tour there, the students told me most everyone is taking student loans. Even the Guatemala trip has to be paid for out-of-pocket (a student told me that's basically how they choose who is going - who can afford it).

It's tough because as a public institute they don't give out merit scholarships like some private schools would. I actually emailed Dr. Gurney about it and didn't get a response. My mom googled some PT scholarships for hispanics but didn't come up with anything concrete. It's hard because the spreadsheet of costs they sent us in the acceptance packet is much higher than the one I downloaded from the website during application. SO they are raising tuition this next year by about $8,000 a year. Phooey. With everything it will probably cost 90K over the three years which is just as much as private schools out of state so I'm not sure if I'm really gaining a financial advantage anymore.

If you find the secret to scholarships for UNM let me know because I haven't had any luck. Recently, when I went on a student-led tour there, the students told me most everyone is taking student loans. Even the Guatemala trip has to be paid for out-of-pocket (a student told me that's basically how they choose who is going - who can afford it).

It's tough because as a public institute they don't give out merit scholarships like some private schools would. I actually emailed Dr. Gurney about it and didn't get a response. My mom googled some PT scholarships for hispanics but didn't come up with anything concrete. It's hard because the spreadsheet of costs they sent us in the acceptance packet is much higher than the one I downloaded from the website during application. SO they are raising tuition this next year by about $8,000 a year. Phooey. With everything it will probably cost 90K over the three years which is just as much as private schools out of state so I'm not sure if I'm really gaining a financial advantage anymore.
I agree with you regarding the cost of UNM. My estimated financial costs quoted in my acceptance packet were nearly 20k more than what was estimated during my advisement session. The only financial advantage for me is not having to move. Are you local?

Yes I am local. I thought having in state tuition would look much lower than what they quoted which disappoints me. They told me the PT program wasn't directly responsible for it though- it was the main campus raising it and they might be fighting it? I'm not sure. My family is trying to help pay for my school without student loans. I'm not terrified of ending up with loans but with my boyfriend's student loans and our house payments it would be great not to worry about paying for my education when I finally have a career...

Congrats! Are you a NM resident? I've found several scholarships through APTA, but most are for third year DPT students.

My residency has changed a lot in the past 6 years. But yes, at the time of applying I was considered a resident.

I've applied to a few scholarships but won't hear anything to end of July. I hope I don't have to go student loan path. If I do, I'll just have to work something out.

Oh the Guate trip, I asked about that a lot during my interview and I hope I'm one of the 8 to go. That would be a lot of fun.

I've applied to a few scholarships but won't hear anything to end of July. I hope I don't have to go student loan path. If I do, I'll just have to work something out.

Oh the Guate trip, I asked about that a lot during my interview and I hope I'm one of the 8 to go. That would be a lot of fun.
If you dont mind me asking, which scholarships did you apply for?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I was told it is whoever can afford it out of pocket and then if more than 8 can afford it, it's up to a name draw out of the hat, no preferential treatment. I think it would be great to go too, but it's unfortunate they weed people out due to finances.

Well hopefully you will hear from UNM soon. We had until April 1st to have all our paperwork and deposits in. So they will probably start going through the alternate list soon. A friend who is currently a third year at UNM mentioned that several alternates got into her class. Do know what number you are on the list?

No clue as to where I am on the alternate list. I was under the impression that they didn't divulge that information and that you just had to patiently wait it out.

I was told it is whoever can afford it out of pocket and then if more than 8 can afford it, it's up to a name draw out of the hat, no preferential treatment. I think it would be great to go too, but it's unfortunate they weed people out due to finances.

Yeah I was told something similar. If there's more than 8, they just draw a name. Whoever wants to go can go. I definitely want to go.

No clue as to where I am on the alternate list. I was under the impression that they didn't divulge that information and that you just had to patiently wait it out.
I have no idea what UNM's policy. I know some schools tell you where you stand on the list. Best of luck to you!

Yeah I was told something similar. If there's more than 8, they just draw a name. Whoever wants to go can go. I definitely want to go.
I definitely want to go!

Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying to just about all of the schools you applied to. I would really appreciate it!

Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying to just about all of the schools you applied to. I would really appreciate it!

I will offer up what I can when I get home! I'm currently in between classes and most of the info you'll want is at home on my desktop computer. So sit tight!

I will offer up what I can when I get home! I'm currently in between classes and most of the info you'll want is at home on my desktop computer. So sit tight!
Sounds great! Thanks so much, I look forward to it!

Sounds great! Thanks so much, I look forward to it!

Here's what I have, feel free to ask for additional info as I'm not as well versed as some on here about stat sharing:

Undergraduate: Texas Christian University
Degree: BS in Athletic Training
cGPA: 3.20

Graduate: Midwestern State University
Degree: MEd in Sports Administration
cGPA: 3.67

I don't have my prereq GPA calculated as I took some in undergrad and the rest at a community college in Fall 2013 and am finishing up the last few this current semester.

I took this current school year off from work to finish up my prereqs at a local community college and so far I have a 4.0 GPA doing that. Hoping that I can keep that going through this final spring semester leading up to me starting at OU in June.

Direct PT Shadowing hours: 100+ in the past few months, but I also have countless hours spent working as an athletic training student (3 years in undergrad), graduate assistant athletic trainer (2 years), and 2 years as a full-time secondary school athletic trainer.

My letters of rec/references were mainly PTs I have met during my observation and professors from college.

Not much in the way of extracurriculars because so much of my time was taken up with working with collegiate sports teams. I worked with men's basketball, football, softball, and swimming & diving while in both colleges and all sports when working for the high school.

Here's what I have, feel free to ask for additional info as I'm not as well versed as some on here about stat sharing:

Undergraduate: Texas Christian University
Degree: BS in Athletic Training
cGPA: 3.20

Graduate: Midwestern State University
Degree: MEd in Sports Administration
cGPA: 3.67

I don't have my prereq GPA calculated as I took some in undergrad and the rest at a community college in Fall 2013 and am finishing up the last few this current semester.

I took this current school year off from work to finish up my prereqs at a local community college and so far I have a 4.0 GPA doing that. Hoping that I can keep that going through this final spring semester leading up to me starting at OU in June.

Direct PT Shadowing hours: 100+ in the past few months, but I also have countless hours spent working as an athletic training student (3 years in undergrad), graduate assistant athletic trainer (2 years), and 2 years as a full-time secondary school athletic trainer.

My letters of rec/references were mainly PTs I have met during my observation and professors from college.

Not much in the way of extracurriculars because so much of my time was taken up with working with collegiate sports teams. I worked with men's basketball, football, softball, and swimming & diving while in both colleges and all sports when working for the high school.
Thanks so much for sharing! I have similar stats to you (except for the masters). I'm about to finish my bachelors and I'm applying to UNT, USA-Austin, OU, and UTEP. Do you think you could give me any tips on the application process to those schools, since you applied to most of these? How early did you apply, how important were GRE scores, etc. UNT is my first choice but I know it's really competitive. Did you get any feedback from them?

Thanks so much for sharing! I have similar stats to you (except for the masters). I'm about to finish my bachelors and I'm applying to UNT, USA-Austin, OU, and UTEP. Do you think you could give me any tips on the application process to those schools, since you applied to most of these? How early did you apply, how important were GRE scores, etc. UNT is my first choice but I know it's really competitive. Did you get any feedback from them?

I should have shared my GRE scores, my fault. I took the old test so my scores are different, but I'll list the PTCAS converted scores to the new test as well.

Verbal: 510 (154)
Quant: 740 (158)
Written: 5.0

As far as my applications, I submitted most of them in mid-November. I was a little behind because I was trying to figure out my prereq situation as well as lock down a normal schedule for shadowing. My advice would be to get your things in order ASAP and submit them as soon as they're ready. I don't think my somewhat late applications harmed my chances at any of the schools I applied to, but most of them had due dates in early to mid-December (except for OU, whose deadline was in February I think).

As far as UNTHSC goes... I got ZERO feedback from them. In fact, the only direct communication from them I received was the email thanking me for applying (along with my login info to check on my app status) and the letter in the mail saying thanks, but no thanks. I had a friend from undergrad who also applied and had a similar experience with them. I would have LOVED to attend school there as it's in Ft. Worth and that's where a lot of my college friends still are (as I graduated from TCU), but they seemed very disorganized, IMO. Maybe I just wasn't competitive enough, but who knows.

USA-Austin was on the ball though. They're campus (although it's only 1 building, it will soon be 2) was nice, everyone I interacted with was kind and welcoming. I really liked it there, but the tuition was a bit pricey. So when OU came calling and said they had a seat for me on their Tulsa campus, I jumped at the opportunity.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I should have shared my GRE scores, my fault. I took the old test so my scores are different, but I'll list the PTCAS converted scores to the new test as well.

Verbal: 510 (154)
Quant: 740 (158)
Written: 5.0

As far as my applications, I submitted most of them in mid-November. I was a little behind because I was trying to figure out my prereq situation as well as lock down a normal schedule for shadowing. My advice would be to get your things in order ASAP and submit them as soon as they're ready. I don't think my somewhat late applications harmed my chances at any of the schools I applied to, but most of them had due dates in early to mid-December (except for OU, whose deadline was in February I think).

As far as UNTHSC goes... I got ZERO feedback from them. In fact, the only direct communication from them I received was the email thanking me for applying (along with my login info to check on my app status) and the letter in the mail saying thanks, but no thanks. I had a friend from undergrad who also applied and had a similar experience with them. I would have LOVED to attend school there as it's in Ft. Worth and that's where a lot of my college friends still are (as I graduated from TCU), but they seemed very disorganized, IMO. Maybe I just wasn't competitive enough, but who knows.

USA-Austin was on the ball though. They're campus (although it's only 1 building, it will soon be 2) was nice, everyone I interacted with was kind and welcoming. I really liked it there, but the tuition was a bit pricey. So when OU came calling and said they had a seat for me on their Tulsa campus, I jumped at the opportunity.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Thanks so much for all of your help man! I really appreciate it. I'm going to visit UNT tomorrow so I'm hoping to get a good perspective from them. As my last question, would you mind sharing your last 60hrs stats for UNT? I know they don't do cumulative and only look at last 60 hrs and prereq. And congrats on OU btw!