Program-Specific Info / Q's UNM MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greyjay

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There isn't a lot of current information out there for the University of New Mexico's MOT program. Is anyone else applying/heard back? Or currently attending? I know that UNM has a pretty big emphasis on problem-based learning and collaboration among disciplines... but not much else!

Perhaps here we can share knowledge on this program?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the MOT program at UNM and I love it! I was accepted into 3 schools but chose UNM since it was in my home state, cheaper than the other programs, and they emphasize interdisciplinary training, rural health, and advocacy.

So far, I love the professors and many of them are doing exceptional research and are leaders in their specialties! It is not a perfect program, but I feel like everyone truly wants the students to succeed. They work with students in regards to life circumstances (becoming pregnant, etc.) and encourage students to explore personal interests within the field.

They are also one of the few OT programs that are a part of a research hospital (UMNH) so there is a huge research component to the curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently in the MOT program at UNM and I love it! I was accepted into 3 schools but chose UNM since it was in my home state, cheaper than the other programs, and they emphasize interdisciplinary training, rural health, and advocacy.

So far, I love the professors and many of them are doing exceptional research and are leaders in their specialties! It is not a perfect program, but I feel like everyone truly wants the students to succeed. They work with students in regards to life circumstances (becoming pregnant, etc.) and encourage students to explore personal interests within the field.

They are also one of the few OT programs that are a part of a research hospital (UMNH) so there is a huge research component to the curriculum.

Thank you! I appreciate the response - it is so helpful to get some insight. Would you mind speaking a bit on what you wish was different about the program? It also seems like they are really into community integration and mental health. Would you agree with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get an interview?
I think it is hard to say what I don't like about the program because I do not have any experience with another OT program to compare it to(and I am generally happy with UNM's program). The university has had budget cuts, which affected the department and is the main thing I wish were different. For the master's project, students used to work with faculty on research (many students got published this way) however, due to budget cuts they have had to cut this part out of the program. Instead, we are able to contact faculty and either submit a research proposal or express interest in working with one of the faculty on their research, however this is not a guarantee like it used to be. I think the faculty tries to actively solve conflicts with students. For example, at the end of the semesters, they give students the chance to converge and list top complaints to bring to the faculty. The following semester, the faculty implement (or try t0) the changes students requested. As far as grading and classes go, I think everyone grades pretty fairly. I really love the faculty and feel like most everyone is open and willing to speak and help students. Our financial aid people (two for SOM) is awesome as well! Sorry, the more I write, the more I realize I don't have many things I wish were different! I mean, some of the things students complain about go with the territory of being in grad school (too many readings, not enough personal time, group assignments, etc) and are probably universal to any OT program.
They are definitely pro community integration and mental health. NMOTA is actively trying to restate the mental health aspect of OT's scope of practice in the legislature right now. As far as pro community, UNM is a leader in inter-disciplinary training. By this I mean, the university, at least our program, really focuses on working as a team with other health care professionals. There are many former OT students who come back as fieldwork coordinators or PBL (problem based learning) leaders and stay involved with the OT program.

Did you get an interview?
I think it is hard to say what I don't like about the program because I do not have any experience with another OT program to compare it to(and I am generally happy with UNM's program). The university has had budget cuts, which affected the department and is the main thing I wish were different. For the master's project, students used to work with faculty on research (many students got published this way) however, due to budget cuts they have had to cut this part out of the program. Instead, we are able to contact faculty and either submit a research proposal or express interest in working with one of the faculty on their research, however this is not a guarantee like it used to be. I think the faculty tries to actively solve conflicts with students. For example, at the end of the semesters, they give students the chance to converge and list top complaints to bring to the faculty. The following semester, the faculty implement (or try t0) the changes students requested. As far as grading and classes go, I think everyone grades pretty fairly. I really love the faculty and feel like most everyone is open and willing to speak and help students. Our financial aid people (two for SOM) is awesome as well! Sorry, the more I write, the more I realize I don't have many things I wish were different! I mean, some of the things students complain about go with the territory of being in grad school (too many readings, not enough personal time, group assignments, etc) and are probably universal to any OT program.
They are definitely pro community integration and mental health. NMOTA is actively trying to restate the mental health aspect of OT's scope of practice in the legislature right now. As far as pro community, UNM is a leader in inter-disciplinary training. By this I mean, the university, at least our program, really focuses on working as a team with other health care professionals. There are many former OT students who come back as fieldwork coordinators or PBL (problem based learning) leaders and stay involved with the OT program.

Wow! This is a lot of information, thank you! I'm actually getting ready to interview at UNM this afternoon so this is interesting to know before hand. Are you going to take advantage of any of the international fieldwork options?

Wow! This is a lot of information, thank you! I'm actually getting ready to interview at UNM this afternoon so this is interesting to know before hand. Are you going to take advantage of any of the international fieldwork options?
Yes, I am planning on going to Nicaragua for pediatric FW1. Hope your interview went well!

Yes, I am planning on going to Nicaragua for pediatric FW1. Hope your interview went well!

My interview went well - I got offered admission and am so excited! However I've also been offered a spot at a program I love in Washington. The price tag on UNM is pretty attractive and I liked everything I learned about the program during my interview... What is it like living in ABQ? I would be coming from the pacific northwest so that area would be a big change for me.

I live in Santa Fe and drive down to ABQ every day. Most of my classmates live in ABQ and seem to like it ok, I think it depends on where in the city you live. I also came from the PNW, I lived in Portland for 10 years before moving to New Mexico.

Good luck making your decision! Congratulations on being accepted to multiple programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in Santa Fe and drive down to ABQ every day. Most of my classmates live in ABQ and seem to like it ok, I think it depends on where in the city you live. I also came from the PNW, I lived in Portland for 10 years before moving to New Mexico.

Good luck making your decision! Congratulations on being accepted to multiple programs.

Thank you!

I've heard Santa Fe is a nice town. That's funny - I also live in Portland! Would be quite a change of scenery from the wet PNW to the desert! Any information on "better" parts of the city? I have heard something about Nob Hill being a nice area...

I know this thread is from last year, but I just thought it was worth a try to get in contact with you! I have an interview at UNM on the 19th of January and I was wondering what the interview entailed. I am a bit nervous so I was hoping for any possible information.

Thank you in advance!