Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wanted to give a plug to a possibly overlooked program.
While on a visiting student rotation at UNM, I visited with the surgery residency director, Dr. Langsfeld, to ask about the program. Very approachable and open guy. The biggest question I had was about their ACGME probation status. While we were talking, he actually received notice from ACGME that they were officially off of probation. He was understandably pretty happy at that point.
He states that is was purely an hours issue and that the residents were 'operating too much'. Not a problem in my book. They've obviously made the necessary adjustments and are ahead of the game in terms of this coming July. Other pros he pointed out: no fellows (i.e. more op time for residents), only show in town so no other competition for interesting cases in a large referral area, new skills lab, plenty of trauma. Also, no problem placing graduates in fellowships (residents have been 4/4 in getting pediatric fellowships during his tenure which says something).
My rotation was in forensic path, not surgery, so I didn't get to speak with the residents. Langsfeld did not seem like a con artist though and I liked everything else about Albuqurque (lots of outdoors stuff, pretty area, cheap cost of living, and VERY laid back atmosphere). Could be a good place for lots of operative experience without the attitude. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
While on a visiting student rotation at UNM, I visited with the surgery residency director, Dr. Langsfeld, to ask about the program. Very approachable and open guy. The biggest question I had was about their ACGME probation status. While we were talking, he actually received notice from ACGME that they were officially off of probation. He was understandably pretty happy at that point.
He states that is was purely an hours issue and that the residents were 'operating too much'. Not a problem in my book. They've obviously made the necessary adjustments and are ahead of the game in terms of this coming July. Other pros he pointed out: no fellows (i.e. more op time for residents), only show in town so no other competition for interesting cases in a large referral area, new skills lab, plenty of trauma. Also, no problem placing graduates in fellowships (residents have been 4/4 in getting pediatric fellowships during his tenure which says something).
My rotation was in forensic path, not surgery, so I didn't get to speak with the residents. Langsfeld did not seem like a con artist though and I liked everything else about Albuqurque (lots of outdoors stuff, pretty area, cheap cost of living, and VERY laid back atmosphere). Could be a good place for lots of operative experience without the attitude. Feel free to contact me with any questions.