Unmatched c/o 2013 by School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just going to ask a question, please pardon my ignorance:

What happens if you do not match? Can you reapply?

Again, sorry, I'm very curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Officially, we just got the list of names and matches which I will obviously not post. Temple did much better than we thought.
Students 106
Scrambled: no idea
Unmatched 10
Match rate 90.6%

2 of these 10 had serious injuries and did not even go on most externships before January so chances were bleak for them to begin with. The cheater fellow whose gpa was top 10, who did nothing but surf Craigslist during clinic, well he got what he put in. Nothing. Few surprises unfortunately.

I cannot confirm with certainty, but board pass rate was 100% second time around for 2013.

So these are the rankings by matched percentage from what was posted here. This is with ithout considering DMU and and CSPM since we don't know how many students there are in 2013 class.

1. NYCPM 0/73. 100%
2. Western 2/22. 91%
3. Temple 10/106. 90.6%
4. Barry 6/52. 88.5%
5. Kent 13/102. 87.3%
6. AZPod 4/29. 86.4%
7. Scholl 17/100 83%

CSPM 5 unmatched
DMU 3 unmatched

Feel free to rearrange the list when anyone knows the number of students at DMU and CSPM. Or if numbers change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most recent numbers for 2013 (as of a little over a week ago)
502 matched
11 not qualified or not seeking placement
59 unmatched

Last edited:
o 41 of 44 DMU class of 2013 are currently placed
o 24 students of the class of 2012 remain unmatched
o 59] students of the class of 2013 remain unmatched

And in the spirit of something I've never seen posted on here (but probably best discussed elsewhere):
http://www.dmu.edu/about/consumer-information/
http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Attrition.pdf

"DMU strives to fully disclose information important to prospective and enrolled students. In compliance with federal regulations and in support of our institutional priority for transparency the following information is available."

Modified 56->59 (original source document may have had transcription error)

Last edited:
Updated list:

1. NYCPM 0/73. 100%
2. DMU 3/44. 93%
3. Western 2/22. 91%
4. Temple 10/106. 90.6%
5. Barry 6/52. 88.5%
6. Kent 13/102. 87.3%
7.. AZPod 4/29. 86.4%
8. Scholl 17/100 83%

CSPM 5 unmatched

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

o 41 of 44 DMU class of 2013 are currently placed
o 24 students of the class of 2012 remain unmatched
o 56 students of the class of 2013 remain unmatched

And in the spirit of something I've never seen posted on here (but probably best discussed elsewhere):
http://www.dmu.edu/about/consumer-information/
http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Attrition.pdf

"DMU strives to fully disclose information important to prospective and enrolled students. In compliance with federal regulations and in support of our institutional priority for transparency the following information is available."

That is awesome. I didnt know this existed

Updated list:

1. NYCPM 0/73. 100%
2. DMU 3/44. 93%
3. Barry 4/52. 92.3%
4. Western 2/22. 91%
5. Temple 10/106. 90.6%
6. Kent 13/102. 87.3%
7.. AZPod 4/29. 86.4%
8. Scholl 17/100 83%

CSPM 5 unmatched

Updated list:

1. NYCPM 0/73. 100%
2. DMU 3/44. 93%
3. Barry 4/52. 92.3%
4. Western 2/22. 91%
5. Temple 10/106. 90.6%
6. Kent 13/102. 87.3%
7.. AZPod 4/29. 86.4%
8. Scholl 17/100 83%

CSPM 5 unmatched

If I'm reading correctly what willingdoc posted a few spots back, shouldn't Kent read "94/102, 92%?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol not unless they didn't match the vast majority of their class....

I think you meant 8/102

Can't tell if you do or do not understand what I'm asking, or just making a joke. Let me rephrase bc I want to know what my future school's match rate was this past year in order to fully prepare myself for the next four years.

I read that post as 8 students out of 102 are still without a residency. Taking that info and formatting it the way everyone else has been presenting their school's data, shouldn't Kent's stat line read 94 out of 102 (92%) were matched? Am I missing something or misunderstanding what willingdoc wrote?

I read that post as 8 students out of 102 are still without a residency. Taking that info and formatting it the way everyone else has been presenting their school's data, shouldn't Kent's stat line read 94 out of 102 (92%) were matched?

Look at the data. It is pretty clearly "# unmatched"/"class size". That's why max made his comment. In the context of the previous posts, 94/102 would mean you had 94 kids that did NOT have a program. I don't even know why I'm bothering to clarify this...it really doesn't matter

Look at the data. It is pretty clearly "# unmatched"/"class size". That's why max made his comment. In the context of the previous posts, 94/102 would mean you had 94 kids that did NOT have a program. I don't even know why I'm bothering to clarify this...it really doesn't matter

Ok I see where my mistake was. That's what I get for skimming the posts instead of fully reading the data. Even if you don't know why you clarified this, I appreciated that you did!

Yeah, just a weak attempt at some SDN humor... Looks like we've got it all cleared up though. I didn't anticipate my comment to detail the thread this badly, my b.

"03/25/2013 Trevor Neal, DPM

104 Applicants Not Matched for Residency Positions (Ivar Roth, DPM, MPH)

I agree that preceptorships could be the answer,
but here’s the problem. Most states do not allow
preceptorship for licensure. They were removed
when there were enough residencies for every
graduate. And even though it was still “on the
books” in Michigan, I had to go before the State
of Michigan Board of Podiatric Medicine to get a
preceptorship approved.

After fighting to get a preceptorship approved
and having my preceptee complete a 2-year
preceptorship, she was able to get a full
license to practice, but unable to participate
with many of the Blue Cross policies because
they require you to be board eligible with ABPS.
To be board eligible, you have to have completed
a residency. Since 75% of our patients have some
form of Blue Cross either as their primary
insurance or supplemental it has put this young,
energetic and talented physician in a tough spot.

In addition, getting her hospital privileges was
a fight and at one of the hospitals she was not
granted privileges.

I have begun the process of starting a
residency, however the absolute soonest that
would be available is July of 2014. And even
that may be optimistic.

So, what happens with all these graduates who
have NO POSSIBLE WAY to practice with their
$250,000,000+ in school loans due? If the ABPS
would be willing somehow to make an exception
for graduates who have completed an approved
preceptorship that would go a long way.

Preceptees could then be designated as board
eligible and able to get hospital privileges, as
well as on provider panels for insurance
companies. They could then start acquiring cases
and ultimately become board certified. This was
the case years ago when there weren’t enough
residencies.

I have all the documentation that I presented
before the State of Michigan Board of Podiatric
Medicine which allowed my preceptorship to be
approved. I am willing to share this
documentation with anyone who would be
interested in attempting to get a preceptorship
approved in their state. Just e-mail me.

Sure it’s better if every graduate completes a 3-
year residency, but this situation is doing more
to damage the credibility of podiatry than
having these graduates who didn’t get
residencies out there with preceptorship
training.

Trevor Neal, DPM, Sturgis, MI,
[email protected] "

Source: http://podiatrym.com/search3.cfm?id=62240

Anyone know what has been happening behind the scenes for the unmatched?

Why can't preceptorships be accepted in lieu of residency training? Honest question. I'm sure that residency training is more complete and focused but I don't see why both can't qualify as post-graduate training for the sake of getting a license to practice?

Why can't preceptorships be accepted in lieu of residency training? Honest question. I'm sure that residency training is more complete and focused but I don't see why both can't qualify as post-graduate training for the sake of getting a license to practice?

I think this would make the image of the profession as a whole very confusing and since (from my knowledge) many of the governing bodies in the podiatry profession i.e. APMA, etc. do not want this. So therefore preceptorships will not count as post-graduate training to get a license, hence with the implementation of a standard 3 year residency for all podiatry students.

As far as I know, there is no certifying agency for preceptorships, and no uniform standards. If the decision were made to have preceptorships count towards getting a license, there would need to be certain uniform requirements and competencies they would have to meet, similar to residencies .

I really think preceptors should count in terms of getting a license to practice, except maybe just if you only do a preceptorship, you can't do surgery or something. That would solve a ton of problems.
Which problems are you referring to? The residency shortage I assume, but what other problems?

"03/25/2013 Trevor Neal, DPM

104 Applicants Not Matched for Residency Positions (Ivar Roth, DPM, MPH)

Why aren't great human beings like this running the APMA?
He did more for that one person than they have done for any of the unmatched candidates this year.

I really think preceptors should count in terms of getting a license to practice, except maybe just if you only do a preceptorship, you can't do surgery or something. That would solve a ton of problems.

Well isn't that what podiatry used to be like with the one year, two year and three year residencies? The one year residencies couldn't do any surgery and I think the 2 year ones couldn't do some surgery.

I know I shadowed a Pod who never went to residency since it wasn't required. He had to go back and do like a 9 month training or something when new rules came about back in the early 90's. He also has a younger Pod as a partner who does all the surgeries.

Even though the higher ups don't want to go back to that model, it is still better than not being LEGALLY able to practice, even non-surgical procedures.

56 students do not have a program in the class of 2013. Should go down by a few more when Baltimore VA officially receives funding for the seats they were supposed to have but never filled this year. It's actually less than 56 already but that's the last official AACPM release so that's what I'm going to post.

Last edited:
dtrack,

so the ny house of delegates number (85) and podiatry managment number (92)
is incorrect?

do you have the link?

The scores from the April APMLE Part II retake have been released, moving two applicants from the not eligible column to the "to be placed" column. When taking the overall placement stats into consideration, 84% (529) of the 631 residency applicants have found residency positions thus far this year. With nearly 2% (10) of residency applicants not seeking or ineligible for placement, it leaves just over 14% (92) total applicants that have yet to find a residency position for the 2013-14 training year.

ok, so the 92 number comes from the last sentence-got it

dtrack,

so the ny house of delegates number (85) and podiatry managment number (92)
is incorrect?

do you have the link?

Didn't check your link but I'm assuming you found the 5/31 release. The 56 is just the class of 2013. Which, and you can call me disingenuous for posting only that number, I feel is the one we should really be concerned with at the moment.

does anyone have any viable predictions as to what is gonna happen in the coming years for each school? In other words, for the pre-pods out there ready to apply are the residency placements seen for this year able to be good predictions of how the placements will be in the next few years? Im sure we all want the best shot at residencies...

Any news on Scholl?

I feel like this whole things has taking a toll on Scholl. Why do I say that? Because a couple of my friends and myself included, have gotten Scholl invite interviews while other schools have already filled all their seats already.

Last edited:
Schools like NYCPM that have a high attrition rate has me wondering whether it's because of these students with low stats or if it's the education provided!

It's important to be confident of your own abilities but I just feel it is equally important to trust the school that you go to.

NYCPM did the best on the boards (FTP) last year. From all 4 of the schools I visited, Their students seemed to study the most and seemed to feel like school was harder than even DMU/AzPod students I met. Just an observation

NYCPM did the best on the boards (FTP) last year. From all 4 of the schools I visited, Their students seemed to study the most and seemed to feel like school was harder than even DMU/AzPod students I met. Just an observation

What possible basis do you have for this observation?

According to SDN sources, they at least tied with AZPOD at 96%.

Are you really the champion if you tie?

lol

According to SDN sources, they at least tied with AZPOD at 96%.

Are you really the champion if you tie?

Heard both 96 and 100% several times on here. Lisa Lee told me 100% at my interview. That is the most credible (and biased) source I could get.

Those who are reading and picking schools based on "pass rate" need to wake up.

The number of students who don't pass the boards is directly proportional to the number of students who should not have been accepted to (insert school name) in the first place.

Last edited:
Rubbish, those who are reading and picking schools based on "pass rate" need to wake up.

The number of students who don't pass the boards is directly proportional to the number of students who should not have been accepted to (insert school name) in the first place.
Bingo.

So then it begs the reasoning that certain schools attract better students then...

So the environment you are in is irrelevant to your success? If the school has a culture of studying hard and passing boards, you don't think it will affect you?

On the other hand, if the school culture is a bunch of slackers, this won't affect you?

Surrounding yourself with the type of person/student you want to become will make it much easier to achieve that goal. Can a person excel at school if all his classmates are lazy bums? Sure, but it would be hard to argue that it wouldn't be easier if everyone at your school had a good work ethic/studious attitude.

One day you will be a 4th year and realize how dumb your posts were. Until then...
:thumbup: It's part of the process. We have all gone through it. Kids these days, what with their Justin Beiber and iphones and the google....