Unofficial list of great cardiology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AequaMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Compiling this list for future reference as other relevant posts are fragmented. For those who have been through the fellowship application process, what programs impressed you the most on interview trail or hearing from experiences of others, like if you have to list 10 of them? As ranking programs is clearly flawed and very subjective, just mention what stood out to you.

Example:
Program X - strength in clinical volume/COCATS competence in ABC/academic productivity - evidence (procedure numbers, grants or fellow awards etc.)

Thanks for all the wisdom!

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry but that Harvard list sounds like a joke. It is quite well known that the top tier academic programs (Harvard, JHU, etc) prepare you for an academic career. You do not get level 2 is more than 2 areas and hence not be made or even competent for independent practice. Duke is the exception and in my opinion is the best training program for cardiology in the country. There are many high volume, community programs that in my and many PDs' opinions offer excellent training.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard, MGH, Brigham, and BID. Harvard’s community program is second tier

Lol sure if you want to get level 2 in one thing and spend 2-3 extra years in a research lab. That’s totally why I did cardiology - to work with pipettes

Let’s be real here. This thread is dumb.

I am sorry but that Harvard list sounds like a joke. It is quite well known that the top tier academic programs (Harvard, JHU, etc) prepare you for an academic career. You do not get level 2 is more than 2 areas and hence not be made or even competent for independent practice. Duke is the exception and in my opinion is the best training program for cardiology in the country. There are many high volume, community programs that in my and many PDs' opinions offer excellent training.

I think what makes a great cardiology program depends on what you want and can be broken into 3 groups. If you want to be an actual cardiologist, don't go to MGH. If you want to be in a basic science lab, don't go to Texas heart. See below:

Academic only (do not pick here if considering private or non-academic programs- you won't get hired; will struggle to get level 2 in much): JHH, MGH/Brigham

Both (more research than you're gonna want if you only want to do clinical work but will give enough volume to actually be able to be a clinical cardiologist: duke, Columbia

Clinical primarily (can do research but if you want academics you're really going to have to go out of your way; can get level 2+ in absolutely everything): CCF, Texas heart

Reactions: 2 users