Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Preface: please do not quote this post in your responses, as SDN does not delete quoted posts. Thank you for your support. This is a lesson to the kids that are still naive and think we live in a society where people can change course in life. I also would like some advice on how to attend dental school with this baggage.
Several years ago I was an allopathic medical student. For various reasons, medicine was not what it claimed to be, and others, I did poorly. The school was on a pass/high pass/honors system. The first trimester gross anatomy failed, histology failed, biostatistics pass (3/3), second trimester leave of absence. The next year, pass first trimester, failed the second trimester, biochemistry, physiology (both failed) pass the experiential. Dropped out during third trimester. I also failed a social science course at a CC five years ago.
Two years later entered another four year health care school. Upon matriculation its job market started collapsing. I was getting tired and low morale from all the bad news and now only have a 3.0 (science GPA 2.6). After graduation things look grim: even military is competitive and many students are continuing further experiential training in the field with no guarantee of a job. Other jobs in the field are temporary jobs with no benefits or expectation of working more then five years or so. I will be early 30s when I graduate.
My undergrad gpa is 3.48 overall, 3.5 sci (mostly prereqs). I did take the DAT in 07 but only got an 18-19 as it was in the wake of the trauma of my medical educational experience. I'm sure I could do better, maybe 21 or so. I am also very confident I could redo my dental prereqs (expired now) and get A/A-s, as I have seen the material for so long now.
The point I am in life now, I am tired and have low morale but I am also desperate. From shadowing, and more importantly, wide experience in the health care field, I know that medicine was not a good fit for me (too much suffering in duration) but I could have handled dentistry (only four years). I also always wanted to be my own boss and the autonomy is very appealing.
I really don't want to think it is too late. After all of this schooling, I have only liabilities and wasted time and energy to show for it. However, I still need to make a living and would like a career. Non-health care never seemed very appealing, nor does it now.
Can I please get a frank, informed opinion on is it possible to matriculate at some kind of dental school, in detail? Thank you for your time and please do not quote this post in your responses. Thank you very much.
Several years ago I was an allopathic medical student. For various reasons, medicine was not what it claimed to be, and others, I did poorly. The school was on a pass/high pass/honors system. The first trimester gross anatomy failed, histology failed, biostatistics pass (3/3), second trimester leave of absence. The next year, pass first trimester, failed the second trimester, biochemistry, physiology (both failed) pass the experiential. Dropped out during third trimester. I also failed a social science course at a CC five years ago.
Two years later entered another four year health care school. Upon matriculation its job market started collapsing. I was getting tired and low morale from all the bad news and now only have a 3.0 (science GPA 2.6). After graduation things look grim: even military is competitive and many students are continuing further experiential training in the field with no guarantee of a job. Other jobs in the field are temporary jobs with no benefits or expectation of working more then five years or so. I will be early 30s when I graduate.
My undergrad gpa is 3.48 overall, 3.5 sci (mostly prereqs). I did take the DAT in 07 but only got an 18-19 as it was in the wake of the trauma of my medical educational experience. I'm sure I could do better, maybe 21 or so. I am also very confident I could redo my dental prereqs (expired now) and get A/A-s, as I have seen the material for so long now.
The point I am in life now, I am tired and have low morale but I am also desperate. From shadowing, and more importantly, wide experience in the health care field, I know that medicine was not a good fit for me (too much suffering in duration) but I could have handled dentistry (only four years). I also always wanted to be my own boss and the autonomy is very appealing.
I really don't want to think it is too late. After all of this schooling, I have only liabilities and wasted time and energy to show for it. However, I still need to make a living and would like a career. Non-health care never seemed very appealing, nor does it now.
Can I please get a frank, informed opinion on is it possible to matriculate at some kind of dental school, in detail? Thank you for your time and please do not quote this post in your responses. Thank you very much.