Dental Unpaid Research at my top-choice Dental School during my Gap Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my mentors, on my behalf, spoke with the research faculty at my top choice dental school. Two unpaid research associate positions were offered to me. This same week, I was offered a paid dental assisting job closer to home. I have an arguably competitive application already with great recommendation letters and all the requirements. I do want to pursue research in the future in whatever form it may take later in life. However, I don't know if it is worth it to move to my dental school a year earlier to pursue unpaid positions. It will undoubtedly be an insightful experience but I am getting cold feet because moving is a big deal. My parents will cover my rent. They also agree that it's a great educational experience. I was also thinking about doing dental assisting part-time (commuting from the apartment at the dental school) and doing both research positions. (dental school is around 2 hours from home and 1 hour from dental assisting). Some friends argue that I should just relax and take things easy during my gap year. But I did a lot of traveling throughout undergrad and I want my gap year to be a meaningful experience. Any thoughts?
During your gap year, you need to do something...you shouldn't just relax like your friends are saying. ADCOM like to see you have improved your app during this time. Personally, I would just take the assisting job. If your app is already competitive and you have a good shot at getting in somewhere, you shouldn't need to move and go into more debt for a research position. Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn’t be more debt. My mother will cover rent. I was thinking about doing all 3 positions. and commuting (50 minutes) to the assisting job. All are part-time
I guess it also depends how on how you want to go to this school where the research job is. Connections go a long way so if it’s a very solid connection it may be beneficial just for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.