Unrelated internships

Started by alt91119
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alt91119

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would doing an internship completely unrelated to medicine during undergrad be viewed in a largely positive way? Specifically, I was contemplating doing one related to analysis of publicly available open-source data related to the country whose language I am majoring in (ie data related to foreign affairs/national security). However, it would have essentially no overlap with medicine (except perhaps for analytical skills picked up during the process).
 
I would do it if I were you. Any data analysis, as you said, will be viewed positively.
 
Would doing an internship completely unrelated to medicine during undergrad be viewed in a largely positive way? Specifically, I was contemplating doing one related to analysis of publicly available open-source data related to the country whose language I am majoring in (ie data related to foreign affairs/national security). However, it would have essentially no overlap with medicine (except perhaps for analytical skills picked up during the process).
It shows what you did to fill a time span, if nothing else, so it's fine to include whether you think it will be viewed positively or not.
 
Personally I would, it won't hurt you unless you are letting yourself lack in other parts of your application due to it, and personally I'm always a fan of developing yourself for a plan B career as you shoot for med school just in case it doesn't work out.