Unrelated internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alt91119

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would doing an internship completely unrelated to medicine during undergrad be viewed in a largely positive way? Specifically, I was contemplating doing one related to analysis of publicly available open-source data related to the country whose language I am majoring in (ie data related to foreign affairs/national security). However, it would have essentially no overlap with medicine (except perhaps for analytical skills picked up during the process).

Members don't see this ad.

I would do it if I were you. Any data analysis, as you said, will be viewed positively.

Would doing an internship completely unrelated to medicine during undergrad be viewed in a largely positive way? Specifically, I was contemplating doing one related to analysis of publicly available open-source data related to the country whose language I am majoring in (ie data related to foreign affairs/national security). However, it would have essentially no overlap with medicine (except perhaps for analytical skills picked up during the process).
It shows what you did to fill a time span, if nothing else, so it's fine to include whether you think it will be viewed positively or not.

Personally I would, it won't hurt you unless you are letting yourself lack in other parts of your application due to it, and personally I'm always a fan of developing yourself for a plan B career as you shoot for med school just in case it doesn't work out.