Unrelated Major - Getting into Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robind33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am a 20 year old student from Michigan majoring in Health Care Systems Administration with only one more year to go. I have a 3.7 gpa in my current degree, however none of my courses are science related (besides from freshman bio and chem). From my understanding, I have to complete a certain amount of science pre reqs before applying for opt school. Can I take these courses at my university after I already graduate? How difficult will the OAT be with knowledge only garnered from a year of pre reqs?

I am still doing a lot of research in the field of Optometry, but its always been something that has been of interest to me. I feel as if I made a huge mistake in entering the HCSA program and that I should have pursued a biology/pre-op degree. Can anyone offer me some advice on entering the field of optometry with a non-related bachelors? What will be my biggest challenge? How can I prepare during my final year of HCSA?

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will have to complete all of the science pre-requisites, which are pretty much the same for all Optometry schools, with a few exceptions. You would have to talk to your university about completing the science classes after you graduate. As long as you've taken (and passed) those classes, and you have will have a bachelor's degree before matriculation (again, a few exceptions), then you can apply to Optometry school. It won't hurt you having a non-science major. In fact, it may set you apart from the other applicants, assuming you do well in your science classes and the OAT. You should take all of the classes that are represented on the OAT before you take it, and if you do that you shouldn't be at any disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 user