1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Unrelated Research?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ratiocinate, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ratiocinate

ratiocinate Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    Hey Guys,
    I found a research position, but I'm a bit worried because it seems a bit astray from medicine. I'm basically working in a lab that is the intersection between computational biology and ecology (specifically parasitism). Would it be better to stay in this lab and get a recommendation after a few semesters, or should I search for more medically related labs? Do med schools care WHAT applicants are researching or just that fact that they ARE researching?

Thanks champs!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GFP

GFP
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know some fellow med students who have done research in non-medical fields (chemistry, ecology, evolution, etc). I think what med schools are looking for in research is the ability to do hypothesis-driven research, carry out a long-term project, and just simply using the scientific method.

If you are interested and passionate about computational biology/ecology, then go ahead. I don't think this area of research you're interested in is going to hurt you. Now, some schools may prefer medically-related research (especially at MD/PhD programs or research heavy schools), but I think you'll be okay. You could always spin the parasitology research to be clinically relevant. In general never do research if you don't like it, or if it's in a field you don't like because those will be evident on your application and interview.

womanofscience and cs24 like this.
  4. cs24

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What the above poster said. Any research you enjoy is going to be fine for your medical school application