unrestricted license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marchiafava

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started internship and have a temporary license. It expires on 6/19/06 and I was wondering do I have to renew it before residency or do I apply for an unrestricted license??? Also do I have to take step 3 before all of this. I was planning on taking step 3 in Jan 06. Also WHEN and HOW do I go about getting a DEA license?? Any insight is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

marchiafava said:
I just started internship and have a temporary license. It expires on 6/19/06 and I was wondering do I have to renew it before residency or do I apply for an unrestricted license??? Also do I have to take step 3 before all of this. I was planning on taking step 3 in Jan 06. Also WHEN and HOW do I go about getting a DEA license?? Any insight is appreciated.

You must have passed step 3 to get an unrestricted medication license. I'm pretty sure you need and unrestricted license to get a DEA license. Assuming your state only requires one year of residency to get an unrestricted license, you should be all set when you pass the test. Sounds like you just need to get your training license renewed for now

Ed

marchiafava said:

You will have to either renew it or get an unrestricted license once you start your PGY-2 year. It depends on what state you are in as to when you can apply for which license, however, you definitely have to have passed step 3 to get your unrestricted license. Your program should be able to give you information about getting your DEA later on in your training. (which you need an unrestricted license to obtain). Your program is probably on top of this since it probably comes up every year for all the interns...ask one of your senior residents how they work things at your program.

As far as DEA and license status - in my state, all interns get a DEA # with their temporary license (which is nice, because the program foots the $300+ fee). Other states have you use an institutional number. You program will let you know which is applicable to you.

Leforte said:
As far as DEA and license status - in my state, all interns get a DEA # with their temporary license (which is nice, because the program foots the $300+ fee). Other states have you use an institutional number. You program will let you know which is applicable to you.
I don't think the temporary licenses are that expensive. We are also given our own DEA numbers (it's an institutional number followed by an identifier unique to whomever the number is assigned).

As noted above, some states (like Pennsylvania) require you to maintain both a Medical training license AND a Medical Doctor (the unrestricted) license.

Since you won't be eligible for the unrestricted license until you have completed a full year of post-grad training in most states, you will have to renew your MT license (since it expires in late June) before applying for the MD license. The cost for our MT license in PA is only $15. The cost for the MD was around $100 as I recall.

In regards to the DEA number, you should have an institutional one for which you can write scripts. To get your own you must have an unrestricted MD license. The numbers are generally renewed every 2 years on even years and cost around $400. If you apply for it during the middle of the 2 year period, you will only have the number for the remainder of the time. For example, the 2 year period this time around started at the end of December 2005/Jan 2006. Although I was eligible summer of 2005, if I had applied for the DEA at that time, the number would have only been good until the end of 2005 at which time I would have had to reapply (and pay another $400). So, if you fall between period (the next will be end of 2007) it might behoove you to wait so that you get the maximum usage out of the number before having to reapply and pay.

marchiafava said:

One gets a DEA NUMBER following ISSUANCE of a PERMANENT, UNRESTRICTED license in one or more states.

So, do the following:

1. figure out what the licensing requirements in your state are. all states require, at a minimum, 1 year of Graduate Medical Education.
2. take Step 3
3. Apply for a permanent license.
4. Upon getting the permanent license, apply for a DEA number. Incidentally, 2 states, Texas and Oklahoma, require STATE narcotic drug numbers in addition to the federal DEA number.

Kimberli Cox said:
Yeah...some states do require a state AND a federal DEA when you are issued the unrestricted license.
Connecticut requires trainees to have state DEA numbers as well. I'm in my second year of residency, and I have a state DEA number. (We aren't allowed to get an unrestricted license in CT until we have completed our second year of residency.)