Unsolicited Jobs Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean if you had just networked harder or published ground breaking research you wouldn’t be in this situation. So really it’s a personal failing.

You forgot: 'wait my turn' at an academic center, have a family member with a cancer center where I can nepotize my way up, or just grind out a W2 into oblivion being at the whims of others at 40% less pay than I'm making now.

oh hell no GIF

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this was a duplicate post:

Southern Radiation Oncology
Apply Now

Hospital Employed Opportunity
  • NEW State-of-the-Art Cancer Facility (80,000+ sq. ft. opened Feb. ‘22)
  • ACR-accredited cancer center for Radiology Oncology
  • Joining an established group of (5) Oncologists and (2) Radiation Oncologists
  • Growing community-based not-for-profit health system
  • $550,000 Base Salary + wRVU Productivity, Sign On Bonus, Stipend & Loan Repayment
  • Highly collegial and collaborative team environment

Safe and Family-Friendly University Community
  • “Coolest Towns of 2022” - Budget Travel
  • Great access to recreational amenities - 1 hour to the coast!
  • “2nd Best City in the U.S.” and “Top 20 Sports Cities of 2021”
  • 45-minutes to one of the most vibrant and diverse southern metros
  • #2 “Best Small Town Food Scene” - USA Today
  • Access to a growing international airport

The euphemisms that recruiters use for these ads always makes me laugh.

Like:
  • #2 “Best Small Town Food Scene” - USA Today
  • Access to a growing international airport

What's next?

#3 "Best Small Town Crank" - Meth Aficionado

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
if they need a recruiter..there is a reason.
poop doesn't sell itself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if they need a recruiter..there is a reason.
poop doesn't sell itself
I'll take it a step further. In most cases, if they even need to advertise there is a reason. I can't speak for PP, but in academics, many of the job postings are only listed because they are legally required to post a position before filling it. They very often already know who they are hiring before even putting up the requisition. I can't recall the last time I even saw a lob listing (much less an advertised one) for what looked like a desirable PP job so I assume most of the really good ones just hire the best of the pool who come seeking them out on their own.

Yup. And, by best of the pool, that often means 'compliant with our offer.'

Here's a fun example circa 2004: I went to interview with my Chief Resident's group. Moderately desirable location (state, not city). I had a lot of respect for him so off I went. They all said "everyone does it the same, first year you get 200, then 220, then 240, then 260. After that, you're a partner which is around 750k. Everyone buys in with time." I didn't get a good read on their 'leader' during my interview.

They might have owned some equipment at one location. Afterwards, I was told they wanted me to have more clinical experience (I was on staff at a top10 location doing some lab and some clinical). Lol.

So what happened? Took my solo hospital 1099 gig in a flyover state ok location. Crushed it, worked my ass off. Got my 'clinical' chops up and running quickly (I do well with adversity). 2.2M year one, and average 2M for 4 years. Learned all about 1099 management: tax, legal, accounting/S-corp, trust, you name it. Brutal vertical slope. Oh, and learned how to fly. Would be tough to do now 20 years later. The kicker?

A few years later that group I interviewed with broke up.. money was part of the issue I heard. Doh.

Good will ain't worth more than a year, maybe two tops. And it better be in a VERY desirable location with a FLAWLESS track record.

Otherwise.. FYPM.

#

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
So what happened? Took my solo hospital 1099 gig in a flyover state ok location. Crushed it, worked my ass off. Got my 'clinical' chops up and running quickly (I do well with adversity). 2.2M year one, and average 2M for 4 years. Learned all about 1099 management: tax, legal, accounting/S-corp, trust, you name it.
Make It Rain Money GIF
Make It Rain Money GIF

• Haha
2004. What a time to be a rad onc. That's pretty much the year I was convinced to go down this path. And yes, I completely believe he made 2 million those years. 2008-09 crash ended the party.

Reactions: 5 users
yes. I miss those days. Don't miss some of the surrounding nonsense that happened. Now I'm just a regular high 6 figure dude coasting into the sunset. Well, with 2 big 'other' things still in the pipeline.

Stay tuned. You're gonna enjoy the story.

Trust Me Cycling GIF by Peloton

yes. I miss those days. Don't miss some of the surrounding nonsense that happened. Now I'm just a regular high 6 figure dude coasting into the sunset. Well, with 2 big 'other' things still in the pipeline.

Stay tuned. You're gonna enjoy the story.

Trust Me Cycling GIF by Peloton
i had mad respect for you before, then you dropped an AT meme. you da boss

1677715456688.png
Join a medical group with more than 85 years of history as their new radiation oncologist. This position is designed with a physician-friendly compensation model in mind, including shareholder opportunities after one year at a low buy-in rate.

Opportunity Highlights​

• 90th percentile potential income
  • Monday-Friday schedule
  • Beautiful, new, state-of-the-art cancer center
  • Great support with 4 hem-oncs in group
  • No call required
  • 1 year to shareholder status
  • $60,000 sign-on bonus
  • Full benefits package

Community Information​

Make this extremely welcoming Illinois city your new home. It’s beloved by many, enjoyed by all, and ranked sixth for “Most Affordable Place to Live in Illinois.”
  • Cost of living is 24% lower than the U.S. average
  • Ranked #8 for Best Cities to Raise a Family by Forbes
  • Ranked among the “Top 5 Most Beautiful Towns in America” by Rand McNally
  • Excellent cuisine — locally-owned restaurants, locally-grown food
  • $89 million bond passed to build new public elementary schools
  • Regional airport that flies into international airports
  • Many families, young professionals, and retirees live here

My guess is that this is in Kewanee, IL

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

View attachment 366964Join a medical group with more than 85 years of history as their new radiation oncologist. This position is designed with a physician-friendly compensation model in mind, including shareholder opportunities after one year at a low buy-in rate.

Opportunity Highlights​

• 90th percentile potential income
  • Monday-Friday schedule
  • Beautiful, new, state-of-the-art cancer center
  • Great support with 4 hem-oncs in group
  • No call required
  • 1 year to shareholder status
  • $60,000 sign-on bonus
  • Full benefits package

Community Information​

Make this extremely welcoming Illinois city your new home. It’s beloved by many, enjoyed by all, and ranked sixth for “Most Affordable Place to Live in Illinois.”
  • Cost of living is 24% lower than the U.S. average
  • Ranked #8 for Best Cities to Raise a Family by Forbes
  • Ranked among the “Top 5 Most Beautiful Towns in America” by Rand McNally
  • Excellent cuisine — locally-owned restaurants, locally-grown food
  • $89 million bond passed to build new public elementary schools
  • Regional airport that flies into international airports
  • Many families, young professionals, and retirees live here

My guess is that this is in Kewanee, IL
They are building new elementary schools. Very enticing

"Potential income" is 90th percentile.

This is "jobs saved and created" type of language

We all make 99th percentile on our standardized tests our whole lives only to make it into rad onc and be excited about 90th percentile salaries. Is this ironic? I think it’s ironic.

$600k isn't anywhere near 90th percentile MGMA.

It isn't even that close to 75th percentile.

"+ Ancillary Income" is quite nebulous.

As soon as I hear ancillary income…I think for thee but not for me.

In a 1-10th percentile geography

American Horror Story Fx GIF by AHS
Kinda funny. US MD school grads don't reflect demography of the places that need docs and radoncs are even less representative than the typical MD.

Used to be, that one 99th percentile Asian kid in the community was often the child of an IMG, and any outlier super-academic country kid, who was likely a friend, flew the coop to the big city after graduating high school and going to college on scholarship. They were never heard from again professionally in their community of birth/schooling.

Now with radonc, I wonder how often the following narrative is playing out.

First generation kid of IMG or other professional in small community. Parents work hard and kid is certifiably elite. As in Yale elite or paid to go to state school elite...and not just med school elite, but top of med school (or close) elite.

Any other field, medical or otherwise, that kid is moving to nice coastal city or Chi-Town and picking their opportunities.

But the kid chose radonc.....

I tell ya, radonc is the only field sending elite US talent to medically underserved U.S. communities. (Of course plenty of elites will provide international medical care via missions or DWB type organizations).

We should pat ourselves on the back.

Med onc: I’m gonna need to you not radiate mmk?

ENT: Hi rad onc…what’s happening?? I have a patient with PNI and LVI after TORS I’m sending to you. But I said radiation isn’t nessesary, I’m gonna need you to tell him it’s bad and not needed mmk?

1677791058015.png

and you know what, sometimes it sounds like this actually in real life.. thankfully, not where I'm at now.. but other places.. that sanctimonious tone being delivered just makes me twitch..

Last edited:
I hate that philosophy. I have a reputation for being thoughtful, discussing all the options with patients, and not treating everyone who walks into my clinic. It gets me more referrals.

Reactions: 10 users
I hate that philosophy. I have a reputation for being thoughtful, discussing all the options with patients, and not treating everyone who walks into my clinic. It gets me more referrals.
Oh i agree and do the same.

It was still a funny line years ago though... Kernel of truth to every joke (esp back then when standards were lower to get in etc)

Last edited:
The admins are not going to be happy!

Re: performative consults.
In big places, it depends on your standing in the Department. If more senior docs get all the SBRT, breast, brain cases, you may find yourself discussing observing a painless bone met vs 8 Gy many times per day

I hate that philosophy. I have a reputation for being thoughtful, discussing all the options with patients, and not treating everyone who walks into my clinic. It gets me more referrals.totn
it is a battle in the community.
i try to stick to my guns. it comes up ALOT for lung sbrt. "oh can you just radiate that". Even for palliative stuff too "radiate this asymptomatic met with palliative dosing"
I am cautious and always try to explain to referring when i dont offer tx. ultimately i am not a monkey pushing a button. sometime referrings or inpatient services dont get that.

Ditto. I also have a rep for making patients and referrings laugh and enjoy talking to me. Gets me even more referrals.

Yes, indeed it is amazing that when we are available and affable that it usually ensures excellent patient satisfaction and plenty of referrals.

Conversely, you can be an absolute dickhead and do just fine in academics.

Ditto. I also have a rep for making patients and referrings laugh and enjoy talking to me. Gets me even more referrals.

Ditto. I also have a rep for sending champagne for every referring consult. Gets me even more referrals.

• Haha
Is there a crisp Benjamin wrapped around it to ensure it doesn't slip from grasp due to condensate (as it is of course already chilled)?
we find the 10k bill is the most optimal for that. Old money best money for practical uses

Screenshot_20230304_115339_Chrome.jpg

I haven’t seen performative RT consults yet. Do you guys actually get those all jokes aside.

Rarely. Mostly it's a true discussion of pros/cons of radiation where you could do RT or not do RT and either choice would be 'correct'. However, once in a blue moon it'll be a case that truly doesn't have an indication radiation. And the patient will be told that they don't meet criteria for radiation. And then I learn why I was sent the patient - b/c the patient is crazy or anxious or the worried well and needs TLC.

I could not stand someone referring a patient to me but then not wanting me to radiate them - if you 100% don't want me to radiate them, then don't send them to me, and I'll document as such when they recur due to inappropriate omission of radiation.

I definitely believe that is the case for you, but I used to work with a doc who said this all the time and he literally treated every single referral.

One time I got a referral and explained the case and he said “no way I’d ever treat that.” He ended up seeing that patient when I was out on vacation and had already treated the patient by the time I got back.

• Haha
I definitely believe that is the case for you, but I used to work with a doc who said this all the time and he literally treated every single referral.

One time I got a referral and explained the case and he said “no way I’d ever treat that.” He ended up seeing that patient when I was out on vacation and had already treated the patient by the time I got back.
I recommend treatment for 90+% of patients, but work with experienced medoncs and surgeons. I almost never see an inappropriate consult. The only pts I dont treat consistently are prostates that desire surveillance after I take the time to explain the natural hx.

The natural history of the prostate is to turn into a 100k nugget for some radiation oncology department.

View attachment 367278
Anecdotally, I'm seeing a lot more GG4-5, N+ prostate cancer than I did in training. I've seen some mention on the MedNet that others have anecdotally been seeing more node+ and retroperitoneal spread from prostate cancer.

Makes you wonder how much the patterns really are changing as we see less GG1 prostates just getting observed.

Anecdotally, I'm seeing a lot more GG4-5, N+ prostate cancer than I did in training. I've seen some mention on the MedNet that others have anecdotally been seeing more node+ and retroperitoneal spread from prostate cancer.

Makes you wonder how much the patterns really are changing as we see less GG1 prostates just getting observed.

Seeing a decent number of GG1s that come back at GG3 or GG4 and require more intensive therapy than what they would've lead to.
Some GG1s are slowly progressing to GG2s as is expected and can be treated without additional toxicity.

But man, if AS is leading to N+ disease, something real messed up has happened IMO.