Unsure about applying this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runnergirl33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here are my stats:

3.8 science GPA
3.9 overall GPA
Took the MCAT (July 26th) and do not feel confident. (Average on practice tests were 24ish)
I work as an EMT/Paramedic (3 years)
Two medical mission trips (KY and Trinidad and Tobago)
Athletic Training Room Assistant (1 year)
Laboratory experience (2 years)
Research experience (1 semester)

I am unsure about applying because my MCAT score is not going to be anywhere near a 30 and maybe not even competitive. But I feel that the rest of my application is quite strong. I was unable to sufficiently prepare for the MCAT due to many factors (personal issues, summer classes, summer research, health reasons). I also did not learn I was eligible to graduate until mid-way through Spring Semester due to my school's requirements (I transferred twice). So that set me back because I hadn't even been planning for med school yet. I want to go to medical school in 2014 but am debating taking a year off to take additional advanced courses (histology, patho, etc) and re-take the MCAT with sufficient time to study. However, I am looking to apply to more DO than MD schools. Ohio University is my first choice thus far and Michigan State University is second.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to know without your MCAT, but if you were only averaging a 24 and didn't feel great about the test you should not apply this cycle and you should study up for the MCAT, retake it, and apply next cycle. Try getting some shadowing and hospital volunteering in this next year, too