Unsure about PhD./PsyD vs. Ma, nervous about applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karenprosen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking at some overall insight about my capabilities to get into good programs! Here are my stats/experiences

3.98 GPA

Haven't began studying for the GRE yet :/ (my sister got a 1400 on her GRE without studying and I did way better than her on SATs. only throwing this in there because people tell me SATs are generally predictive of GREs and I definitely plan on studying)

Internship in Spiritual Care at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies- shadowing chaplains and social workers during counseling rounds and writing a research paper based on my observations

Summer Research position in a workforce development lab (I/O psych) data collection/entry.

Lead Research Assistant for NASA Employee on Dissertation research on humor (data collection, coding, lit review, creating measures, overseeing other RAs work and production)

TA position for Research Methods in Psychology

I know I don't have the research experience for a Clinical PhD program.... but if I want a private practice, and will be heartbroken if I have to take out $80-100,000.... does anyone know of any good MA/MS counseling programs or PsyD programs that offer funding? Everyone I've worked with are pushing me to go all the way but I don't know what to do. Also what's the best way to study for the GRE? Really just any thoughts will be appreciated. Also, do schools look down on something like an internship in Spiritual Care? I also took a course in Parapsych and am currently taking Sleep and Dreams. I don't know if those things will look silly on my transcript. A prof in I/O told me yes for I/O, but I wonder about clinical or counseling.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FWIW, your research experience actually seems quite good to me, especially the NASA work! Parapsych is generally seen as bit "questionable," but the DCT on here says that transcripts aren't scrutinized very heavily at all. A bigger problem may be finding professors who do work in this area, though I've seen a few hyponosis/dream people (can't remember where, sorry!) while looking at faculty websites.

As for the GRE, definitely learn the "tricks" for quant and study vocab and lots of it for V. Also, make sure to use the free powerprep software that's downloadable from ETS' website--it's great prep. Make sure you familarize yourself with the GRE's CAT mechanism and its implications for pacing and scoring as well.

Good luck! :)