unsure about prep im doing tomorrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texas_dds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
never done a maryland bridge, my attending doc wants me to try on my patient tomorrow (missing #10, implant did not integrate)
HOW do you prep one?
I need to know kinda soon!

Members don't see this ad.

texas_dds said:
never done a maryland bridge, my attending doc wants me to try on my patient tomorrow (missing #10, implant did not integrate)
HOW do you prep one?
I need to know kinda soon!

Do the implant surgery again after placing more bone!

In the meantime do a flipper.

Maryland Bridges have not been mainstream for over ten years.

If you really want to do it....... reduce the lingual with a football shaped diamond but try to stay in enamel to increase your bonding chances.

yes i know the MD bridge is not ideal
poor lady has been through 2 implant surgeries and a bone graft already - she does not have the funds to try again. and she is wearing a flipper right now but wants something fixed. its strange that one side failed the conventional FPD would be overkill for her - i think that is why i'm doing it. oh yea, shillingburg has some great pics of the prep if anyone needs to see it sometime.

Members don't see this ad :)
texas_dds said:
yes i know the MD bridge is not ideal
poor lady has been through 2 implant surgeries and a bone graft already - she does not have the funds to try again. and she is wearing a flipper right now but wants something fixed. its strange that one side failed the conventional FPD would be overkill for her - i think that is why i'm doing it. oh yea, shillingburg has some great pics of the prep if anyone needs to see it sometime.

If she is financially challenged removeable may be the way to go.

Without a doubt the Maryland Bridge will fail and then where will she be? Also, with all of those surgeries what does the pontic space look?

And why can you not do conventional fixed prosths?

i am not doing the conventional FPD because
1)there is nothing wrong at all with 9 and 11, i would hate to mow them down
2)its 1/2 the price of a regular bridge at our school
3)occlusally she is ideal for this

this patient is mildly ******ed and she tends to try to choke herself with the flipper. her mother is aware of the guarded prognosis of this type of prosthesis but this is what they want.
and damn that impression was easy - and no provisionals...
i could get used to this kind of pros!

texas_dds said:
i am not doing the conventional FPD because
1)there is nothing wrong at all with 9 and 11, i would hate to mow them down
2)its 1/2 the price of a regular bridge at our school
3)occlusally she is ideal for this

this patient is mildly ******ed and she tends to try to choke herself with the flipper. her mother is aware of the guarded prognosis of this type of prosthesis but this is what they want.
and damn that impression was easy - and no provisionals...
i could get used to this kind of pros!

Ok, now I get it!

Good Luck to you and your patient!

Would a bridge work in this situation? I know you don't want to take down healthy tooth structure unneccessarily, but given the patient's condition it might be a good idea. I'd worry about her choking on the dang thing and injuring herself accidentally. I should say I'm a pre-dent, and less informed about treatment options but I was just curious on what you'd think.

Fullosseousflap said:
Do the implant surgery again after placing more bone!

In the meantime do a flipper.

Maryland Bridges have not been mainstream for over ten years.

If you really want to do it....... reduce the lingual with a football shaped diamond but try to stay in enamel to increase your bonding chances.

What is a flipper?